Gun Control Related to Mass Shootings?

Sean Buckley

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I know that most, if not all, developt countries have implemented more strict gun laws than the U.S has. My question is before these laws were in effect did these other countries have a big problem with mass shootings?

I know here in Canada we have never really had a problem with mass shooting, even before strict gun laws were in effect.

Anybody from places, other than Canada, find the same thing?

Just would like to know if gun control would prevent these types of things...

nope...then itll be mass bombings or something else....its the people behind the gun that are the problem

The mass shootings will be done only by the government

nope...then itll be mass bombings or something else....its the people behind the gun that are the problem

exactly. removing the guns will just provide more opportunity for illegals guns to proliferate and they will be used. Even if all the guns magically disappeared, there are other ways nutjobs will take out large numbers of people... sadly

There's recipes for various wmds all over the deep web and even on the normal internet. the recipe for mustrd gas is readily available, can easily be made and the materials very easy to obtain.

I should say I am not anti gun, in fact I own several myself. Just wanted to know if other countries had these problems before gun bans were in effect?

I think Australia had a mass shooting one time, then they enforced strict gun control. Not sure about the details, though.

Have Palestinian gun control laws prevented attacks in Israel?

Americans have begun to devalue human life imo. We are also the most rapidly growing most culturally diverse country in the world. Bombs will cause more havoc than guns....people kill people.

Scottland had a big shooting massacre. Australia did too. Those are the two I remember off the top of my head.

guns are innocent you can mass murder with rock or knife too
give everyone guns and hope they wont do anything crazy :icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis

people act like gun control is a magic wand and the second the legislation gets passed then WOOOOSH all these things happen. gun control means nothing unless government actually enforces it.

problem in the US is we long passed the point of gun control years ago. the gun companies and the NRA have literally flooded this country with guns. there's more guns than there are people now (and we are a country of 300million +).

so why anyone is talking about gun control is beyond me. i guess it makes them feel better. but the reality is we are a violent, moody country full of crazy fuckin people with very easy access to guns, and no laws are going to change that. we obviously want our guns and no amount of mass shootings are going to stop that.

the only frustrating part is that gun nuts just refuse to take responsibility, though that shouldn't be unusual for us b/c conservatives live in a little reality bubble where facts don't enter. but it goes without saying the ease of access is a large contributor, and their solution is MORE guns. so you can kinda see where we are heading towards.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-global-gun-laws-20121218,0,747421.story

The stats don't lie. In countries that have made gun laws stricter incidents like this are far less common. Now, I admit to each incident being individual and unique. It's possible that things could be done in other ways.

Overall, countries with stricter gun laws have far less mass murders. Perhaps even more important than it preventing mass murders is that guns make it easier to kill than most weapons.

Maybe we should accept these incidents as part of the cost of freedom.

I know that most, if not all, developt countries have implemented more strict gun laws than the U.S has. My question is before these laws were in effect did these other countries have a big problem with mass shootings?

I know here in Canada we have never really had a problem with mass shooting, even before strict gun laws were in effect.

Anybody from places, other than Canada, find the same thing?

Just would like to know if gun control would prevent these types of things...

We've had mass shootings before and during our "strict" gun control efforts. Thankfully none ever on the scale of the worst events.

people act like gun control is a magic wand and the second the legislation gets passed then WOOOOSH all these things happen. gun control means nothing unless government actually enforces it.

problem in the US is we long passed the point of gun control years ago. the gun companies and the NRA have literally flooded this country with guns. there's more guns than there are people now (and we are a country of 300million +).

so why anyone is talking about gun control is beyond me. i guess it makes them feel better. but the reality is we are a violent, moody country full of crazy fuckin people with very easy access to guns, and no laws are going to change that. we obviously want our guns and no amount of mass shootings are going to stop that.

the only frustrating part is that gun nuts just refuse to take responsibility, though that shouldn't be unusual for us b/c conservatives live in a little reality bubble where facts don't enter. but it goes without saying the ease of access is a large contributor, and their solution is MORE guns. so you can kinda see where we are heading towards.

I definitely have to agree with this post. I think banning guns is just the easy way out for most people to solve our problems with violence. We need to do things to help the people that are committing these crimes. We need to provide proper medical treatment to people with mental disorders, and we also need to make jobs more available for people that would kill for money. Stricter gun laws isn't the only way to help. I do think it would help.

Gun bannings would absolutely cause a decrease in mass shootings and shootings in general. People would have to murder in another way and, despite claims to the contrary, your average gangbanger or introverted mass shooter doesn't REALLY have the wherewithal or attention span to make bombs or WMDs.

But it probably won't happen. People in their 30s and below, by and large, aren't gun nuts like generations past. There are still some, especially on the internet, but in general gun ownership isn't passing on to this generation like before. MAYBE you will see some change in the future but until then I say we regulate our militia well just like the Constitution says.

I definitely have to agree with this post. I think banning guns is just the easy way out for most people [to pretend] to solve our problems with violence. We need to do things to help the people that are committing these crimes. We need to provide proper medical treatment to people with mental disorders, and we also need to make jobs more available for people that would kill for money. Stricter gun laws isn't the [only] way to help. I do think it would help.

Fixed.
You are naive if you think that is going to solve the problem.

And why the hell does someone willing to kill for money deserve a job and not a swift kick in the ass?

Back