Gun Control Related to Mass Shootings?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Sean Buckley, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Sean Buckley

Sean Buckley Amateur Fighter

I know that most, if not all, developt countries have implemented more strict gun laws than the U.S has. My question is before these laws were in effect did these other countries have a big problem with mass shootings?

I know here in Canada we have never really had a problem with mass shooting, even before strict gun laws were in effect.

Anybody from places, other than Canada, find the same thing?

Just would like to know if gun control would prevent these types of things...

2. El Chimpo

El Chimpo Cruel Man Platinum Member

nope...then itll be mass bombings or something else....its the people behind the gun that are the problem

3. Big Sissy

Big Sissy Banned Banned

The mass shootings will be done only by the government

4. Phreaxer

Phreaxer Black Belt

exactly. removing the guns will just provide more opportunity for illegals guns to proliferate and they will be used. Even if all the guns magically disappeared, there are other ways nutjobs will take out large numbers of people... sadly

5. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

There's recipes for various wmds all over the deep web and even on the normal internet. the recipe for mustrd gas is readily available, can easily be made and the materials very easy to obtain.

6. Sean Buckley

Sean Buckley Amateur Fighter

I should say I am not anti gun, in fact I own several myself. Just wanted to know if other countries had these problems before gun bans were in effect?

7. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

I think Australia had a mass shooting one time, then they enforced strict gun control. Not sure about the details, though.

8. Cicero**

Cicero** Banned Banned

Have Palestinian gun control laws prevented attacks in Israel?

9. BudMan

BudMan +++Harold Ramis+++

Americans have begun to devalue human life imo. We are also the most rapidly growing most culturally diverse country in the world. Bombs will cause more havoc than guns....people kill people.

10. weich

weich Silver Belt

Scottland had a big shooting massacre. Australia did too. Those are the two I remember off the top of my head.

11. nihilistxn85

nihilistxn85 Blue Belt

guns are innocent you can mass murder with rock or knife too
    give everyone guns and hope they wont do anything crazy :icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis

12. Blitz55

Blitz55 WILLOW

Lets all carry swords.

13. BrokenCouch

BrokenCouch Banned Banned

people act like gun control is a magic wand and the second the legislation gets passed then WOOOOSH all these things happen. gun control means nothing unless government actually enforces it.

problem in the US is we long passed the point of gun control years ago. the gun companies and the NRA have literally flooded this country with guns. there's more guns than there are people now (and we are a country of 300million +).

so why anyone is talking about gun control is beyond me. i guess it makes them feel better. but the reality is we are a violent, moody country full of crazy fuckin people with very easy access to guns, and no laws are going to change that. we obviously want our guns and no amount of mass shootings are going to stop that.

the only frustrating part is that gun nuts just refuse to take responsibility, though that shouldn't be unusual for us b/c conservatives live in a little reality bubble where facts don't enter. but it goes without saying the ease of access is a large contributor, and their solution is MORE guns. so you can kinda see where we are heading towards.

14. AGGAMEMNON66

AGGAMEMNON66 ———Villain———

lol

Yeah, gun controller works great over there. They've made the switch to explosives

15. Noblet10

Noblet10 Purple Belt

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-global-gun-laws-20121218,0,747421.story

The stats don't lie. In countries that have made gun laws stricter incidents like this are far less common. Now, I admit to each incident being individual and unique. It's possible that things could be done in other ways.

Overall, countries with stricter gun laws have far less mass murders. Perhaps even more important than it preventing mass murders is that guns make it easier to kill than most weapons.

16. Cicero**

Cicero** Banned Banned

Maybe we should accept these incidents as part of the cost of freedom.

17. matt4792

matt4792 Brown Belt

We've had mass shootings before and during our "strict" gun control efforts. Thankfully none ever on the scale of the worst events.

18. Noblet10

Noblet10 Purple Belt

I definitely have to agree with this post. I think banning guns is just the easy way out for most people to solve our problems with violence. We need to do things to help the people that are committing these crimes. We need to provide proper medical treatment to people with mental disorders, and we also need to make jobs more available for people that would kill for money. Stricter gun laws isn't the only way to help. I do think it would help.

19. picasso

picasso Blue Belt

Gun bannings would absolutely cause a decrease in mass shootings and shootings in general. People would have to murder in another way and, despite claims to the contrary, your average gangbanger or introverted mass shooter doesn't REALLY have the wherewithal or attention span to make bombs or WMDs.

But it probably won't happen. People in their 30s and below, by and large, aren't gun nuts like generations past. There are still some, especially on the internet, but in general gun ownership isn't passing on to this generation like before. MAYBE you will see some change in the future but until then I say we regulate our militia well just like the Constitution says.

20. Phreaxer

Phreaxer Black Belt

Fixed.
    You are naive if you think that is going to solve the problem.

And why the hell does someone willing to kill for money deserve a job and not a swift kick in the ass?