Gun Control Related to Mass Shootings?

Right, and lately it's all been dropping: http://www.ministerhomeaffairs.gov....ch-2012---Crime-falling-across-Australia.aspx

The crime rates do that, they go up and down. No 50% spikes anywhere in sight though. So we're back to mass shootings.

Over the past half hour, so I am no expert on the matter, I have read reports from the U.K also that said the crime rates increased, did not see homicide rates though. So this just brings me full circle as to are guns the problem, I for one am still not convinced. I will post some reports later.

must be why they keep a regularly stocked weapons room in mental health facilities, b/c guns aren't the problem or easy access, it's the mental sicknesses!

i mean really, it's a tired schtick. the accessibility is a very, very big reason, and to deny it based on some hoity toity half assed argument scheme that's been going on for decades is just being intellectually dishonest at this point.
You don't get it

The problem is mental illness. Let's say that the people who want all guns banned got their wish and every single last gun in the US was taken away from each citizen, the mental illnesses are still there. The tragedies will remain and like I admitted, they will result in fewer casualties but there will be casualties nonetheless.

There's no "schtick" with me. I don't choose sides because I can't formulate my own opinion. My opinion is that there are severe underlying issues to not only these mass murders but also for drug addiction and even bullying. Guns are certainly a catalyst though they would be replaced in a vacuum if banned. I don't think reducing casualties by half and reducing the amount of families who suffer by half is the solution or the correct approach.

If I wanted to use a schtick I'd say guns don't kill people, people kill people. That one cannot be refuted no matter how much sensationalism is used. People are the problem, maybe we should ban them- better yet why don't we research and use academia to solve the societal issues that drive a person to commit such atrocities? Banning guns is a pretty good bandaid- problem is we have a fractured skull and gaping wounds all over.

You don't get it

The problem is mental illness. Let's say that the people who want all guns banned got their wish and every single last gun in the US was taken away from each citizen, the mental illnesses are still there. The tragedies will remain and like I admitted, they will result in fewer casualties but there will be casualties nonetheless.

There's no "schtick" with me. I don't choose sides because I can't formulate my own opinion. My opinion is that there are severe underlying issues to not only these mass murders but also for drug addiction and even bullying. Guns are certainly a catalyst though they would be replaced in a vacuum if banned. I don't think reducing casualties by half and reducing the amount of families who suffer by half is the solution or the correct approach.

If I wanted to use a schtick I'd say guns don't kill people, people kill people. That one cannot be refuted no matter how much sensationalism is used. People are the problem, maybe we should ban them- better yet why don't we research and use academia to solve the societal issues that drive a person to commit such atrocities? Banning guns is a pretty good bandaid- problem is we have a fractured skull and gaping wounds all over.

The problem is the super pro gun people are against making treatment for illness like this too. Let people choose one or the other. I agree making it easier to get treatment for these mental illnesses and doing other things to make people less likely to commit crimes like this is better, but too many people want neither.

The problem is the super pro gun people are against making treatment for illness like this too. Let people choose one or the other. I agree making it easier to get treatment for these mental illnesses and doing other things to make people less likely to commit crimes like this is better, but too many people want neither.

Who is against treatment for the mentally ill?

Not to bash the dead, but having a readily available firearm in your house when your son has mental issues isn't what I call responsibe gun ownership. Not saying she shouldn't be allowed to own them, but that's like leaving a loaded gun where a child can get it. Lock that shit up!

I'm very pro gun, but I'm very big on personal responsibility.

Scottland had a big shooting massacre. Australia did too. Those are the two I remember off the top of my head.

after scotlands' massacre, they banned assault weapson (possibly more types of guns) and have not had a school shooting since....that was like what 15 20 years ago?

exactly. removing the guns will just provide more opportunity for illegals guns to proliferate and they will be used. Even if all the guns magically disappeared, there are other ways nutjobs will take out large numbers of people... sadly

I realize it's a bit late now, but I imagine most illegal guns were legally manufactured and purchased at some point, and then sold on by or stolen from the legal owners?
Might not stricter control on guns also reduce availability of illegal arms, or at least jack up the price to where some random street thug can't realistically afford one?

One thing that needs to be considered when you are comparing removing American's guns to removing out countries guns is how many more guns are owned in America... legally and otherwise compared to those other countries...

I realize it's a bit late now, but I imagine most illegal guns were legally manufactured and purchased at some point, and then sold on by or stolen from the legal owners?
Might not stricter control on guns also reduce availability of illegal arms, or at least jack up the price to where some random street thug can't realistically afford one?

You do realize how much money drug dealers and "thugs" tend to have, right? Look at all the cars in the ghettos with 24"s, expensive stereos, etc... I don't think pricing blue-collar workers out of the gun market will do much to hinder thugs gun collections

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with a temporary ban of guns with a huge research project in place to monitor the effect.

Problem is that history shows the ban would eventually wind up permanent regardless of the findings.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with a temporary ban of guns with a huge research project in place to monitor the effect.

Problem is that history shows the ban would eventually wind up permanent regardless of the findings.

"Everyone: please turn in your guns. We will give them back...."
Yeah, not likely to be falling for that one...

Human beings are sick and irresponsible. They shouldn't have access to assault weapons.

Human beings are sick and irresponsible. They shouldn't have access to assault weapons.

or alcohol.
or sharp knives.
or cars.
or heavy blunt objects...

Your logic is flawed. Human beings go crazy and governments take over, therefore, people should have access to whatever weapons they feel are reasonable and prudent.

I wounder if people think about how much a total gun ban would cost the taxpayers to collect the guns, dispose of guns, investigate, arrest, prosecute, and imprison the "evil" gun owners. Think how much the war on drugs costs us and x10.

Not to mention the total clusterfucks that would occur with LE costing lives, property and suit of the federal government when things go to hell.

I have no interest in guns but I am getting tired of people here going on about banning them because they have no understanding of gun culture in America.

Gun culture = Drug Culture
Believe it or not, people are addicted to violence.

If there was a total gun ban an entire industry would be lost and all the jobs that go with it. A total gun ban will never happen.
I don't favor any additional restrictions, but I'm not opposed to requiring classes for Concealed Carry.

or alcohol.
or sharp knives.
or cars.
or heavy blunt objects...

Your logic is flawed. Human beings go crazy and governments take over, therefore, people should have access to whatever weapons they feel are reasonable and prudent.

Has this ever happened in American history? Has the government ever launched an assault on it's own people so brutal that American citizens have had to shoot guns at their own people?

I don't understand why a sane American would believe that he should arm himself with an automatic weapon in case his government tries to "take over" or are u thinking that the Canadian government will try to take over?

Last edited:
after scotlands' massacre, they banned assault weapson (possibly more types of guns) and have not had a school shooting since....that was like what 15 20 years ago?
It was pistols that were banned following Dunblane as that was what the killer used. I don't think assault weapons have ever been legal in the UK.

Back