Gun Control Related to Mass Shootings?

after scotlands' massacre, they banned assault weapson (possibly more types of guns) and have not had a school shooting since....that was like what 15 20 years ago?

can't compare a portion of an island to just about an entire continent.

can't compare a portion of an island to just about an entire continent.

can....and did.

i was inaccurate though according to the post before yours, they banned hand guns.

at any rate, if some math person could take "school shootings per capita" i can guarantee you that zero is a helluva lot lower than whatever it is up against.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-global-gun-laws-20121218,0,747421.story

The stats don't lie. In countries that have made gun laws stricter incidents like this are far less common. Now, I admit to each incident being individual and unique. It's possible that things could be done in other ways.

Overall, countries with stricter gun laws have far less mass murders. Perhaps even more important than it preventing mass murders is that guns make it easier to kill than most weapons.

Because you want to talk about stats.

In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences reviewed 253 journal articles, 99 books and 43 government publications evaluating 80 gun-control measures. Researchers could not identify a single regulation that reduced violent crime, suicide or accidents. A year earlier, the Centers for Disease Control reported on ammunition bans, restrictions on acquisition, waiting periods, registration, licensing, child access prevention and zero tolerance laws. CDC's conclusion: There was no conclusive evidence that the laws reduced gun violence.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-18/...-regulations-gun-related-crimes?_s=PM:OPINION

I think Australia had a mass shooting one time, then they enforced strict gun control. Not sure about the details, though.

Port Arthur:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

they banned semi automatic rifles and shotguns, as well as pump action shotguns. Also increased regulations behind all firearms.

As far as i know - you can currently legally own a bolt action rifle, shotgun (not pump or semi) or pistol. You need a license for any firearm or ammunition. The license isn't so bad to get but you need to jump through a lot of hoops. Basically, you need to actually need the thing in order to get it. Self defense is not considered a reasonable purpose for owning a weapon. The weapon has to be stored in a safe at all times on your property, with the ammunition kept in a separate locked box / safe.

we have very few shootings amongst the general population, only serious crims really. They can get access to black market weapons and tend to use them on each other. You're average dipshit wont have a gun. Noone here really cares, only people that need them are farmers, the cops and the military. Unless you're a sporting shooter, you just dont need one here.

more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_po...ing_the_effects_of_firearms_laws_in_Australia

and noone is going on mass stabbing or bombing rampages here. I dont buy that argument. It's the guy behind the gun doing the shooting true, but easy access to guns makes it easier for that guy to do the shooting. If he cant get the gun, he cant go on a shooting rampage. easy as that.

Last edited:
Has this ever happened in American history? Has the government ever launched an assault on it's own people so brutal that American citizens have had to shoot guns at their own people?

I don't understand why a sane American would believe that he should arm himself with an automatic weapon in case his government tries to "take over" or are u thinking that the Canadian government will try to take over?

To answer your question, yes. The American Revolution. Hell, the civil war too if you look at it in that perspective.

Not many "sane Americans" have 'automatic' weapons. Assault rifles aren't machine guns. They are semi-autos. Just like a majority of handguns, and other rifles.

If it's not related to gun control then America has the most amount of unstable people bar none.

If it's not related to gun control then America has the most amount of unstable people bar none.

We really don't take mental health nearly as seriously as we need to here. Both the Sandy Hook shooter and the one from Aurora had known mental health issues.

Back