Guida vs. Hioki

I still like Guida, but his last fight was the pits. I dont agree with the boring tag, hes a weird one - when he goes berzerk and has FOTN, he loses more often than not. I dont begrudge him playing it safe now and again to get an important win. But the last fight and to an extent the Pettis fight, tried my patience.

Hioki has this, probably by UD or a sub late on.

I still like Guida, but his last fight was the pits. I dont agree with the boring tag, hes a weird one - when he goes berzerk and has FOTN, he loses more often than not. I dont begrudge him playing it safe now and again to get an important win. But the last fight and to an extent the Pettis fight, tried my patience.

Hioki has this, probably by UD or a sub late on.

That's a warrantied feeling. His last fight wasn't amazing by any stretch of the definition, but fights like that are in the minority for him. Maynard is one of the few fighters at 155 that has wrestling superior to his which is why I think he employed that gameplan.

Guida is only exciting when he is losing. I still think he edges out Hioki.

Hioki needs to do something different, like finish off his camps in the states or something. He looks way too jet lagged and lackluster when he fights in the states and I think he'll really struggle if he shows up like that.

guida is probably going to try and lnp. hopefully hioki catches him with something.

I'm a big fan of Hioki and think he is more talented than Guida, however he is very inconsistent and often shows poor fight IQ.

I think that if he shows up and fights to the best of his ability he will beat Guida, but that is a big if.

I think it mainly comes down to how his athleticism transfers to FW. The main reason he used the strategies that he used in many fights people thought were boring were that he was fighting guys that were way bigger than him. You look at Pettis, Bendo, Maynard, and even guys like Danzig and Nate (the Nate fight was pretty good, by the way), and then you look at Guida, then it's clear that what he's naturally good at isn't gonna be enough to get over the size difference. But, if you look at fighters that were either closer to him in size or who were at a lower level than him (it should be noted that, even though Guida's had to use strange strategies to beat larger opponents, he's still given them extremely tough, close fights and even beaten some of them), then he fights in a different manner.

Look at the Tyson Griffin fight, for example. He was fighting a guy that was way closer to him in size than anyone else, and he didn't rely on the crumping striking style, the wrestling-heavy gameplan, or the shoulder strikes of doom. He knew that, because one mistake against this guy didn't mean he'd get overpowered and reversed and either KO'd or subbed, he could take more chances and fight in a much more natural way, and it led to a FOTY candidate and a fight that many people feel he got robbed in (thus assisting greatly in many of the counter-cases for the, "Guida's only exciting when he's losing!" arguments).

There's also a lot of examples of fighters getting faster or stronger (or both) when they drop down a weight class because their physique changes to better assist in the weight cut, and I think we might see this when Clay drops down to FW, which is a very important factor to consider.

So, anything could happen in this fight, but I think the deciding factors will be two things:

Really pulling for Hatsu in this one. Not sure why he's been so gunshy in his UFC stint but he's clearly healthy and the same guy he's always been, just timid to say the least for some reason.

Hope Guida loses. He's become my least favorite fighter. He's got a great chin which guarantees I have to watch him dance around for 25 minutes

Guida definitely wins, look how much Hioki struggled against George Roop. Does anyone really think Guida would struggle that much to beat George Roop. I mean Guida was DOMINATING ANTHONY PETTIS while Hioki STRUGGLED PAST ROOP. Is this really much of a contest? Guida 30-27.

lol, dominated pettis? he sat in his guard and fended off subs for 15 minutes and somehow got the win.

Depends on which Guida shows up; if the exciting, old Guida shows up then he'll win a decision or by late sub. If the new, dancing and boring Guida shows up then Hioki by decision.

:icon_lol:

Guida wins pretty easily. I think he'll do well at featherweight, he should have been fighting there a long time ago.

I'm rooting for Hioki to get the win here. Was really hoping he would be on the Japan card though. Thinking he would perform a lot better.

Back