Guerilla Cardio Recruits

TidusAeon

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who's actually in for the program?

I've done it 4 times so far give or take.

They wind the hell out of me?

I'm going to keep a journal in here somewhat.

It would be cool if others would do so as well in the same thread.

Now get running guys!

TidusAeon said:
Who's actually in for the program?

I've done it 4 times so far give or take.

They wind the hell out of me?

I'm going to keep a journal in here somewhat.

It would be cool if others would do so as well in the same thread.

Now get running guys!
I have done it 2 or 3 times, but I can't keep track and havent done it awhile, because of my lower body lifting.

I have been doing Tabata intervals for about 4 months now.

After reading this forum last night, I started a modified type of guerilla/tabata/HIIT training tonight. After some brisk walking to warm up for about 2 miles, i found a slightly graded hill. In both hands i carried a 2lbs dumbell. I sprinted up the hill while pumping my arms as hard as i could. I estimate the hill took about 20 seconds to get up, and i walked for about a 1.5minutes getting down, then repeated 10 times.

After that i walked up a larger hill for general conditioning. Then found another smaller hill that was long. This time without dumbells, i did a 20 second sprint, and about 10second rest for two reps until i reached the top of the hill, then walked to the bottom for about 3 minutes or so. Then repeated it once more.

I had originally planned on going to the gym after this, but I was pretty much done after that. I'll definitely try to keep it up.

I think it's probably good for high level cardio/combat conditioning. But you still cannot neglect mid and low level conditioning. Which could very well be of a low impact nature. Just something similar to a brisk 2 mile walk or walk/slow jog on occassion. Along with some eliptical and other forms of weight training and plyometrics for strength, etc.

I'm easting breakfast after doing 10 intervals.
Did some on monday (8 intervals) but haven't done any since like June (when I was preparing to go away to thailand so needed the extra training). Whilst there I did only maybe 3-4 sprint sessions before training, but they were hill sprints and about 250+m (45s was my best time), so I'm not that out of coindition to it.
Have a fight coming up so I'll be doing them regularly now <shudders>

:)

How long before I can get 20 intervals out I wonder

I'm in. What's your program though. I'm thinking about starting with:
Jog for 4 minutes,
8 intervals of sprinting for 20 seconds with a 10 second rest,
finishing with a four minute jog.

I used to do only road work with a 4 mile long run and a two and a half mile short run but I was always gassed when I got to working on standup.

I've done it a few times using bodyweight exercises (pushups, squats, situps and lunges so far) and I've also done about 5 sessions of 4 minutes on the cross-trainer (they really got my shoulders burning).

With this and other sprint interval training I've already seen great improvements in my cardio. I'd recommend it to anyone.

S.D.Force said:
In both hands i carried a 2lbs dumbell. I sprinted up the hill while pumping my arms as hard as i could.
I think you should carry bricks instead.

RobT said:
I've done it a few times using bodyweight exercises (pushups, squats, situps and lunges so far) and I've also done about 5 sessions of 4 minutes on the cross-trainer (they really got my shoulders burning).

With this and other sprint interval training I've already seen great improvements in my cardio. I'd recommend it to anyone.

if I'm doing 4-5 stand up sessions a week, when can I get the guerilla work done. I did some this morning and had training in the afternoon and although went I went they I felt a little tired, after a round I was just drained. By the 4th I couldn't kick and I was dead on my feet.

I'm also debating what to do with the 2 weight sessions I'm supposed to do

Jiujitsujayhawk:

That's exactly the routine I'm using.

I'm going to have my next workout tomorrow morning and I'll keep you guys posted.

I hope you guys keep others and me posted as well.

I wasn't going to start today, but I tried it anyway. That is the shit. And just like a fight because it's all out, and then you get a short breather and then all out. My long run is usually four miles and guerilla cardio makes that look like a cake walk. I'm sold.

Check out my training log for progress.

Thanks man.

Ian1983 said:
if I'm doing 4-5 stand up sessions a week, when can I get the guerilla work done. I did some this morning and had training in the afternoon and although went I went they I felt a little tired, after a round I was just drained. By the 4th I couldn't kick and I was dead on my feet.

I'm also debating what to do with the 2 weight sessions I'm supposed to do

I do the sessions on the cross-trainer after each lifting session.

I do stuff with bodyweight exercises whenever I have time right before I go to bed.

maybe I should give that a try, haven't thought of it really because I'm more of a sprint=run purist, but its about the heart rate in the bend isn't it

To get everyone motivated, I'll post logs from my journal for all of you to read. I encourage everyone to do the same as it will inspire me and others to join and stick with the program.

So fellas,

This is the second time I did Guerilla Cardio.

The first time I did was Monday: 08.01.2005.

I think I did it half-assed as I don't feel quite the same as I did the cardio workout today, but I did run as fast as I could on Monday during those 20 second spurts. The half-ass came from a combination of running HIIT the same day for nearly 30 minutes and from running on no sleep.

So today, Wednesday: 08.04.2005.

I just came back from running and DAMN, I feel really winded. I could only complete 6 intervals of the guerilla cardio as it proved too much for me. I'm sweating like a mofo just from 11 minutes of running (which 8 total minutes were actually just warm-up/cool down).

My heart is beating much much more faster than if I were to do it by HIIT on a machine. I can feel the sensation I had as well on Monday where my oxygen intake feels a little strained, similar to how your mouth would feel tingly if you were to try a new strong mouthwash.

So, I'm going to keep at this as my legs feel tired which I hadn't felt when I was doing HIIT on a machine regularly for 4 weeks out, on average 3 times per week.

I'll keep at it and let you posted!

PS: I agree that new guys should not attempt this first time out but rather gradually build up to a degree that you can do full-out sprints. I know I did gradually work my way up to it as I had ran on a machine on HIIT intervals manually speeding up and down for 4 weeks out.

Monday Morning: 08.08.05

So, I haven't really been consistent on running and been lazy. I've been meaning to run a couple days back ago, but I don't wake up early enough to complete it.

Anyway, I completed 11 minutes again and it was tough the least to say. Tough enough to make me despise it.

It looks like I've lost some weight and albeit some fat.

I need to clean up on my diet as I've been cheating like a mofo.

I plan on running this Wednesday.

Tuesday morning. Man I have a messed up sleep schedule.

Anyway, I did the guerilla cardio on the bike and I was sweating somewhat by the end of it.

I wasn't as winded as I expected but my actual buttocks hurt really bad. Like they were incredibly sore from just biking so hard on the stationary bike.

I mixed it up this time.

I think I'm going to stick with running sprints from now on.

Thursday Morning: 08.11.05

Man, my sleeping schedule is way messed up.

I get so ansy and eager to do guerilla cardio, that it's having an effect on my sleeping cycle. Insane, isn't it?

Anyway, I did the complete 12 minutes. WHEW. What a workout.

And I can't stress enough, (purely as a mental note), that the 10 seconds is way too short to even catch a good deep breath.

It is intensely grueling. I like it though because it is so challenging.

Also another mental note I want to make is that you should always be moving your legs. So don't ever stop.... just keep walking slowly to keep your legs moving.

Is anyone in on this with me?

Who's tough enough to handle it?

Saturday Morning: 08.13.05.

My god, I am spent. Jesus christ! This routine is so freakn intense and EXTREMELY tough. My heart is beating fast still.

During my routine, I was about to quit at the end of the 6th set, leaving out a full minute to complete my 4-minute workout. I am serious too. So, I finished off the full 12 minutes with some half-assed sets although I was going to the best of my ability with all my sets. Who would have thought you would be sweating like crazy and feeling like you were just in a full hard-hitting fight in only 4 easy minutes?

Anyway, I have to say that I am spent, wobbly, sweating a lot, and breathing hard.

Is anyone with me here?

Or is everyone just ducking the fight?

EDIT: My sleep schedule is improving I feel. That's a plus.

And food for though (pun intended). Everytime you decide to eat something, just remind yourself how hard one set will be due to eating junk food and all that bad stuff. It will get you thinking and maybe even change your mind.

I tried it this morning for the first time (after putting it off for a few weeks). Enough is enough.

I thought 400m intervals were tough. I had no idea.

I walked about 20 mins to the oval I was gunna run on, then warmed up a bit more, then did the session. Then stretched and walked home. My legs were that shaky and unco-ordinated on the walk home I felt like I was drunk. I was sweating like a whore in church, so much so that I ran into two friends on the walk home who both said as soon as they saw me "been runnin' huh?"

As for the session, it was fairly tough. That ten seconds rest goes REAL quick. I was covering less and less distance and I was running at a pathetic speed by the end. I was wondering what that weezing/heaving sound was... yes you guessed it, it was me.

Next session, Monday.

Back