Guerilla Cardio Recruits

jopaso said:
Okay- I tried GC for the first time today and I almost died! I could only run 4x and had to stop several times walking home. I just collapsed as soon as I got home and couldn't get up for about 20 mins.

Is this normal? I mean, I'm not totally out of shape but this is ridiculous! When I was reading the GC article, I was thinking to myself- "how bad can this be?" Needless to say, I'm not sure if I'm going to continue. Any words of inspiration?

Graduate yourself into it man, don't destroy your efforts by trying to achieve something that may be damaging if done improperly as with any exercise or regimen. Maybe try to cut down to 75% of max speed capacity on your sprints...maybe only do 4-5 cycles instead of the full 8, and in a week or two add another...and then another in another week or so...do them for 10 seconds, instead of 20, work to 15 and then the full 20 in time...

It takes time for the body to get used to these exertions. You've got alternatives here, but something is always better than nothing. Do your best and keep making these efforts for even this means you're getting out there and doing them, which beats doing nothing.

words of inpiration....hmm

'don't be a pussy and stop whining'

:)
seriously though, thats normal. The strain of the sprints and low rest (running I assume) kill the cardio
Keep at it

holy fucken moly, i just tried it out 20 minutes ago. a note for the guys planning to do this, have a glass a water before running. fuck! my mouth was so dry cause i did it first thing in the morning and i felt like vomiting

I'm about to start it tomarrow. The advice that I got was to do it on the alternate days to lifting weights, i.e. lift Mon., Weds., Fri. and Guerilla Cardio Tues., Thurs., Sat. Wish me luck.

good luck trying to sprint the day after squatting and visa versa

do it on grass. better grass stains then having your face peeld via concrete

So, I'm going to try this again tomorrow and hopefully I won't die-

I know its hard but is it REALLY proven? I mean its a difficult workout for sure but doesn't necessarily make it an effective one. Sorry, I'm just throwing that out there to make sure that what we're doing is worth it.

just did it for the first time today, it's pretty brutal. I have never really ran sprints before, I'm used to distance running. I did a four minute jog to warmup and then I only made it through six of the intervals, then a four minute jog cooldown. How often do you guys do this? I want to do it again tomorrow.

Ya think that to ease into this, you could run 15sec. and break for 15sec? Each week just add a second to sprint time or take away a second from rest time. Just curious because from what most of you are saying, this can be a tough program to just jump right into.

I did it for the first time this morning on a treadmill...not sure if I'm doing it right:

4 minute warm up at 6.5 mph
30 sec at 9.5 mph
20 sec at 6.5

I did this eight times.

If I'm not doing it right, can someone post a routine for a treadmill?

Thanks

I started this routine this week and Tuesday I was out of town staying at a Holiday Inn, so I ended up running on a treadmill. Not the most effective means of doing this exercise, but hey, you work with what you have.

Today, however, I was able to actually go to the park in town that has a track and that was a much better experience. I think that I'll have to make sure that I get to a track for this.

The treadmill just doesn't seem to work as well.

Here's what I would do with the treadmill: leave it running full speed during the rest period. Run as fast as you can on it for twenty seconds, then step off (or to the sides, whatever) for 10, then get back on. It takes too much time for it to slow down and speed back up.

Urban said:
Here's what I would do with the treadmill: leave it running full speed during the rest period. Run as fast as you can on it for twenty seconds, then step off (or to the sides, whatever) for 10, then get back on. It takes too much time for it to slow down and speed back up.

That's what I found about trying to change the speeds on the treadmill. However, I would have to say that trying to jump back on a treadmill that's set at full speed is bound to be more dangerous than it is worth. I thought about doing that for about 5 seconds before visions of me smacking my head on the front handle presuaded me not to.

Urban said:

Are the intervals 20 sec or 30?

Edit: It is 20 sec...I did it for too long this morning. Will try again tomorrow.

Just hold onto the sides when you first start. I dunno, I've done it at 10 mph (as fast as my treadmill goes) and that wasn't so bad. really, you should probably be doing these sprints on the street when it's an option.

Just did it for the second time today and was able to make it through the whole workout this time. It was hard as hell and I wanted to quit after about six intervals but I made myself finish it. My sprints were pretty fucking slow by the end though.

Back on it this week. I actually went out and got a stopwatch. Wow, 20 seconds really flies by, doesn't it? It's not an extremely difficult routine, but afterwards I was still wiped.

Friday: 09.23.05

I'm really sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I have no excuses about it whatsoever.

Anyway, I could only finish 5 intervals today. Plus I couldn't even do the 4 minute cool down. Man, it's amazing how much you can get back to square one when you lose momentum.

Thank you to all who have been or started on this program. I look forward to your progress.

Sunday: 09.25.05

Whew, what a day.

I completed 6 out of the 8 sets. For some reason, I felt a lot more fresher and I felt ready to go to finish out the full 8 sets but I just didn't have the heart set out for it today.

Anyway, I'm happy to know that I'm improving once again from my previous 5 sets to 6 sets. Man it can get exhausted in a heartbeat.

Kudos.

i was planning to do it this morning but it's fucking raining over here. it's so stupid, whenever i wanna do this it always rains.

Back