Guerilla Cardio Recruits

my on going log

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6752573#post6752573

up to 5 minutes as of last wednesday. Going to go out in a few hours after I recover from this mornings training and try for 11 intervals or 6 minutes, but we'll see about that

edit-after writing the above had a nap and whent and did the sprints.
5 min jog warm up and it began to rain again.
Got 11 sprints out with just 10 s rest, for number 12 I rested a little longer but went back to the starting position and ran the full length again (from 1-10 I must have lost about 5-10m from either side).
Jogged home which took about 6 minutes. I tried to run but my body was having none of it

I've been doing GC for 2 weeks, only twice a week though. I like it but it's killing my leg workout (w/weights), is anyone else having this problem? Or are my legs just not used to the sprints yet?

The sprints will rip into your hams mainly. Once you get used to it you should just end up being tight instead of the major soreness. Its a different kind of workload to squats, it hits the legs differently so will take time to adapt

I did another session today. Surprisingly I felt a lot better afterwards (I was still exhausted) and noticed that I was recovering better in the 10 second rest period. I seemed to recover afterwards better too. I'm way out of shape at the moment but was quite fit around December. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get it back.

Just started this routine the other day. I've only done it with shadowboxing with 2 lbs. weights & have done only 2 sessions so far. I'm gonna do the sprints on Thursday but so far it's exactly what I expected & was hoping for. It's tough but brings out the savage in you!

Guerrilla Cardio is the real deal - God Bless Dr. Tabata!

STRIKER said:
Just started this routine the other day. I've only done it with shadowboxing with 2 lbs. weights & have done only 2 sessions so far. I'm gonna do the sprints on Thursday but so far it's exactly what I expected & was hoping for. It's tough but brings out the savage in you!

Guerrilla Cardio is the real deal - God Bless Dr. Tabata!
Why do you shadow with weights?

Ted-P said:
Why do you shadow with weights?

Try it Ted & you'll understand why. Don't go above 2 lbs. per hand as that is more than enough.

BTW - Some guy named Fedor shadow boxes with weights & swears it makes his punches incredibly fast! :icon_idea

STRIKER said:
Try it Ted & you'll understand why. Don't go above 2 lbs. per hand as that is more than enough.

BTW - Some guy named Fedor shadow boxes with weights & swears it makes his punches incredibly fast! :icon_idea
There is no resistance in the horizontal plane with free weights. The workout will be primarily training shoulder stabilizer.

And I know how people to like to point out athletes as examples and justifications of doing some sort of workout, but it doesn't mean it's right.

I could see how the weight in some planes would overaccelerate the punching motion, but not really proven.

It works for me Ted, especially when I'm throwing uppercuts and snapping the punches. The force exerted when I punch is not just from throwing but also when I return. But what do I know, I'm just a Pro, eh?

STRIKER said:
It works for me Ted, especially when I'm throwing uppercuts and snapping the punches. The force exerted when I punch is not just from throwing but also when I return. But what do I know, I'm just a Pro, eh?
Do what you like. I didn't insist on anything, but I said about free weights having no resisting force in the horizontal plane is true.

It is probably true it works out the antagonists with the KE you develop while punching, but with
2lb weights it would hardly bring any significant speed or power.

ill admit it would be great for endurance though.

I have been doing the Tabata/G.C. workout for a couple of weeks. I finally did the sprints today. I was puffing hard at the sixth interval but made it through to the tenth. It really hurt my lungs and it took me a while to recover. I was coughing up some stuff too. My legs and hamstrings were fine though. I do sprints but have never had so little rest between my all outs. I warmed up with 4 minutes before and cooled down with the four minutes after.

I am going to hit it again in a few days and hopefully my wind will be a little better. The only problems I had were 1. burning lungs, 2. I had no timer on my watch and I about buckled my knee trying to watch the bezzle on my diving watch instead of where I was going(I eventually just estimated the first distance I ran when I was fresh and tryed to all out the same distance instead of the exact 2o seconds). I was real strict on the 10 sec. rest though

also
I can't bend my arms from throwing a medicine ball, pullups and close lat pulls two days ago with the 20 sec/10 rest interval. I have to forcibally straighten them out all day.

This stuff is pretty intense.

Did my first session with full on sprints last night after doing Thai pads with my buddy. Here are some thoughts:

- My first 2 workouts doing this shadowboxing with weights already made a big difference in my cardio & endurance. My hands not only felt lighter and faster but I wasn't getting tired like I used to when pushed to do combos.

- I managed to do all 8 20 sec. sprints with the strict 10 sec. rests in between. But no way could I have done it without my buddy timing me with his stop watch & telling me when to GO & STOP! After the 4th interval I was hurting and felt like giving up but how could I chicken out with him standing there timing me? So I said fuck it, I'll just just stop after 6 (after all, this is the 1st time I've tried this with sprints I thought) but after the 6th he called out "Just 2 more!" & although I was trudging though the sprints now I felt relief that the end was near. After the 8th I was so relieved & grateful he was there. Having a pal time you when you do these is truly a luxury to be appreciated so if you guys can, have one there.

- I did the sprints at 8:30 last night & it gave me such a rush I could not go to sleep! I even had a couple rum & O.J.'s (1/2 calorie juice at least!) & I still wasn't sleepy! I think I finally dozed off @ 3:45 A.M. but was tossing & turning all night. Interestingly though - I'm here at work typing this & I am not tired at all! Doing this workout with sprints is really taking things to a different level........I love it.

ha ha, I guess thats another reason that it is reccommended that it is done first thing in the morning. I've always done it not long after waking up, but I've gotta admit I felt fairly alert once I recovered.

I actually feel like going to sleep (like my body was shutting down or something) when I get to number 6.

It hits pretty darn hard. Thats why I like it. I'm looking forward to my next session (tomorrow, this time after work, so hopefully I'll get to sleep before 3.30am)

Monday: 08.22.05

OK, so I took a break for about a week due to some personal reasons. I don't think it helped me in the sense of keeping my momentum, but it did rest me up and make me recover my legs and my body.

I just completed a 11-minute workout. I could only do 6 intervals. DAMN, I am worn out. My legs are wobbly, I have a hard time catching my breath for even a second, and I can feel the burn throughout my entire body.

To all the people participating in the program. I really congratulate you if you can complete a full 8 intervals because it is damn intense. The first two or three times, I was able to do it somewhat.

I then realized that I wasn't going FULL BALLS OUT every 20 second spurt. That is the key. You need to be going 100% all out each and every last drop and ounce of sweat you're piling and dripping off yourself. At least aim for it because it is a world of difference from 100% compared to only 80-90%.

I hope everyone is still on this, despite I've been out for a full week.

I really appreciate all of you who responded and took your time to read over and add in your thoughts to the thread.

I'll see ya soon.

It's been three weeks now. I can still only do GC twice a week, my legs are completely dead for about two days after.

i just started doing this after reading it on here i am not near a track and dont really have anywhere to do the full out sprints so what are some of the things that i could do that would be totally taxing on the body for the twenty second intervals? any help would be appreciated. I know it was designed for sprints but i am trying to make do with the space and the room i have. Thanks

how do you guys time yourself if you don't have somebody doing it for you? If I use my watch I will have to keep looking at it and that would fuck up my sprints I think.

I can gauge about 15-18 seconds, I generally check about then so I only have a few seconds to be put off then.

Did GC sprints with a skipping rope yesterday. First time with a speed rope. Killed my arms and left me feeling maybe 80% drained in comparison to running sprints

I feel like I am regressing. I ran it for the fourth time and each time I am hurting worse. Maybe it will come around, Ill keep banging at it. I have been kind of dicked up because I am doing some of the sandbag and sledge training on my non GC days and have been pushing it hard for cardio and running hills in between.

hmmm, I'll tell you all a little story.

I've been doing it for just over 2 weeks now. Lost a couple of kilos (not really concentrating on diet 100% yet, slowly making changes). Anyway, I applied for a training course within my job and I had to do a medical.

Firstly my VO2 output was way above average. I was pleased about that. I don't know if that was due to GC training.

I did a urine test. This I FAILED! WTF????

The nurse called me in and asked me if I had been eating. She then went on to explain that I had an excessive amount of ketones in my urine. She said this meant my metabolism was unusually higher than it normally is, and that I was burning fat cells at a ridiculous rate. She said the amount of ketones in my urine were similar to the amount displayed in the urine samples of someone who was starving. I assured her that I had been eating plenty, although I had not had breakfast (I eat breakfast sometimes 10am, it was 9am). She sends me away to eat something. I do, I come back, and do the test again, lo and behold, it is the same.

She then explains that the results of my urine sample were very rare. Similar results are also found in people that have an overactive thyroid and diabetes. I was tested for diabetes less than 12 months ago. I didn't have it, my blood sugar and cholesterol levels were fine.

Anyway, due to this, I failed my medical and I have to get clearance from my local doctor, which will involve doing the urine test again, then blood tests if the results are the same.

I left the medical very angry and confused. A little voice in the back of my head kept saying "Man, its the guerrilla cardio, this is how it works"

Surely the results are not this extreme???!!!!

ps, I'm still training and I feel fine, I don't feel run down or anything.

WTF???

Back