Guerilla Cardio Recruits

or you could download the MP3 I made. It keeps getting rehosted in the tabata thread in S&P.

Abraham said:
hmmm, I'll tell you all a little story.

I've been doing it for just over 2 weeks now. Lost a couple of kilos (not really concentrating on diet 100% yet, slowly making changes). Anyway, I applied for a training course within my job and I had to do a medical.

Firstly my VO2 output was way above average. I was pleased about that. I don't know if that was due to GC training.

I did a urine test. This I FAILED! WTF????

The nurse called me in and asked me if I had been eating. She then went on to explain that I had an excessive amount of ketones in my urine. She said this meant my metabolism was unusually higher than it normally is, and that I was burning fat cells at a ridiculous rate. She said the amount of ketones in my urine were similar to the amount displayed in the urine samples of someone who was starving. I assured her that I had been eating plenty, although I had not had breakfast (I eat breakfast sometimes 10am, it was 9am). She sends me away to eat something. I do, I come back, and do the test again, lo and behold, it is the same.

She then explains that the results of my urine sample were very rare. Similar results are also found in people that have an overactive thyroid and diabetes. I was tested for diabetes less than 12 months ago. I didn't have it, my blood sugar and cholesterol levels were fine.

Anyway, due to this, I failed my medical and I have to get clearance from my local doctor, which will involve doing the urine test again, then blood tests if the results are the same.

I left the medical very angry and confused. A little voice in the back of my head kept saying "Man, its the guerrilla cardio, this is how it works"

Surely the results are not this extreme???!!!!

ps, I'm still training and I feel fine, I don't feel run down or anything.

WTF???

Try to up your carb intake. I'll give you an excerpt off of a bodybuilding website for what you're dealing with. It's a misconception in this particular case and what the doctor is confusing it for.

"Answer: Well, I am aware of that theory, but it is completely wrong. In the 1950s they did an experiment with rats in which one group was given 100% carbohydrates. They lost weight, but got fatter. What went away?

Question: The muscle?

Answer: Precisely. The muscle provided the fuel the whole time. Carbohydrates or glucose does not spare protein. What really spares it are ketones.

Question: How do ketones spare muscle?

Answer: Since ketones are the muscle's preferred fuel, their presence slows the rate of protein degradation while enhancing the rate of protein synthesis. The presence of ketones indicates a nutritional and hormonal profile that is one of the hunger state vs. the fed state, in which the signals are provided by glucose, insulin, or a high insulin/glucagon ratio. All systems are in a fat burning mode and not a fat storage mode. Since it makes sense in the "wisdom of the body" to preserve its muscle and burn its fat, this is the evolutionary status quo and both occur during the production of ketones whose source is the triglycerides in the fat cell (release dictated by low insulin) and whose manufacture occurs in the liver (high glucagon). When this fuel is available and is actively being burned by the tissues, there is no signal to degrade muscle protein to supply amino acids as a source of carbon skeletons to make glucose because the organism could care less about glucose because it has its primary fuel and is very happy. Also the hormonal profile of low insulin, high glucagon, higher epinephrine, elevated growth hormone and testosterone all contribute to the preservation of muscle tissue and even to its enhancement if there are sufficient calories and a muscle-building stimulus."

And further more..... the answer

"Answer: The research he quoted is accurate but only under limited conditions. What needs disputing is the underlying philosophy. Insulin resistance has a negative connotation to it just like ketones because both conditions were first observed in diabetics and have been, ever since, considered very negative responses tied tightly to disease. It is one thing to study man the "carbohydrate-eater/diseased-man" and an entirely different thing to study man the "fat-eater/man-not-diseased." One cannot extrapolate the findings in one group to the other, yet it is done all the time. So now what would benefit one group is extrapolated to benefit the other. This is very poor science. It is likely that consuming caffeine along with carbs is a bad idea just as consuming carbs w/o caffeine is a bad idea. Of course, an even worse idea is to eat few carbs for a couple of days and then to load carbs for a few days, and, as well, to starve and then to eat a lot of food in one meal along with carbs. All of these are bad actions. But, on the other hand, if you consumed caffeine along with a low-carb diet, it would enhance the fat burning process, the ideal condition of man."

Update: Wednesday- 08.31.05

OKAY, I'm really sorry for not updating in a while. I've been swamped with work and school just started, so I haven't had time to properly exercise.

On the plus side, I have really refined my eating lifestyle. I'm eating more vegetables, more nutritious whole foods, and getting more protein than before. I've eliminated most of processed foods as I really ocassionaly eat fast food when I have nothing else (which is rare nowadays unless I take a long business trip).

Anyway, I managed to pull off the full 8 sets on a cycle.

It was intense and I felt that high afterwards. Not a high in my brain but rather with my breathing. That's an indicator to me that I'm pushing it hard and my oxygen flow is increasing.

I feel good about the workout and I plan on switching up workouts every week.

So, I'm planning on running 3X per week for 8 full sets outside doing sprints for one week.

Then the next week, I will cycle 3X per week for 8 full sets doing full out sprints for that week.

And you get the idea.

Anyway, I hope everyone is still on the program as I'm enjoying it and I feel that I've lost some fat compared to a month ago.

Kudos and have a great day!

Thanks TidusAeon. It is complicated for my pea brain, but it says a lot. I don't do the test again for another two weeks.

So basically, I'm in the zone... exactly where I want to be, but, just to pass the urine test, I should have some carbs. Is that right?

Friday: 09.02.05

So, I was able to complete 8 full sets again.

This time, I went the extra mile by doing my 100% best on every 20-second burst. And I mean I went all out to the point of a screw falling off of my cycle (I will get that fixed).

It's very intense as I said before. I think I will stick to running next week.

Abraham: I'm no expert, but I believe that upping your carbs may help alleviate the problem. You can get some ketostix to see if you're getting too many ketones in your system. You might also want to do the program less frequently in lieu of the urine test. Best wishes.

Oh btw, one more thing:

Abraham, what kind of exercise are you doing for the Guerilla Cardio program?

Are you doing sprints in terms of running? Have you done any other exercises besides running for guerilla cardio?

How many days per week do you do the training?

I've been doing the sprints. I've been doing them 3 days a week. Occasionally I'll throw in a 45 min run or circuit training on an off day. I didn't want to give it up because I was really enjoying it and I had lost 4 kilos (around 9 pounds). Anyway I will be giving up for a week and eating normal again just to get this piss test out of the way.

Get this, I got a letter today saying that I have to get this cleared up asap or it will be further investigated. I looked up ketones on the net and found that many companies test their employees urine for drugs etc. Ketones show up sometimes in the event of drug abuse, alcoholism and sometimes as a concealing agent for fuckknowswhat. These employees often get suspended or fired! It made me panic a bit. Anyway, I'll lay off the training and I went to the hospital today and got one of the nurses to give me a urine testing kit and some sample sticks so I can test myself up until Friday, the big day. Then I can get back on with training again.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread.

Urban said:
or you could download the MP3 I made. It keeps getting rehosted in the tabata thread in S&P.

I tried searching for "tabata" and "timer" in S&P but I couldn't find that thread.
Could you please direct me?

Cheers!

tiny_pup said:
I tried searching for "tabata" and "timer" in S&P but I couldn't find that thread.
Could you please direct me?

Cheers!
I don`t know if you can still download the original because it was put on yousendit and you know how they expire after awhile.So keep going through the pages there have been several rehost done and i am sure you can find it.Here is the link.http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269312&page=1&pp=20

gamedog said:
I don`t know if you can still download the original because it was put on yousendit and you know how they expire after awhile.So keep going through the pages there have been several rehost done and i am sure you can find it.Here is the link.http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269312&page=1&pp=20

Thanks a lot for the link!

Weird it didn't show up when I searched for 'tabata' in S&P?

as in my log, just got back and wrote it up

5 minute skip to losen my hams after yesterday
5 min warm up
6 min skipping GC (with light speed rope, the big lad used a 16 oz and his arms were fucked after 3 minutes. I added the last 2 minutes when I decided at 4 minutes were weren't worn out enough)
Stretch

Fun part, chris first then me
3*20s bursts with just straight hands, 10 sec rest, straight into
3*20s but with knees, into
3*20s but with kicks (chris used both legs, I just used the left because the right shin is still bad)
Then we thought it wasn't enough (during the 10s break after the lats one), so straight into 20s hands, 10 rest, 20s knees, 10 rest, 20s kicks.
So for both of us it was 6 min non stop on the pads, 12 intervals.

3 3 min rounds, 1 min rest of reaction work/power. ie singles, doubles and singles with surprise doubles. Some triple shots in there also.

So we did 12 min GC skipping and hand, knees and feet. 6 min, 10 min break to stretch and then the last 6.
I feel worn out, but not drained, and its been like 1 and a half hours

Monday: 09.05.2005- Labor Day!

So, I went on my cycle and pounded out the 8 sets.

I have to admit thought that my brain was telling me to quit during the 4th set and I was about to just let go, but somehow I barrelled through the pain and pounded it out to a GNP Decision. And I'm very proud of myself giving it 100% per burst.

I think the cycle is not as productive as running for some reason.

I'm going to stick to running sprints this week and see if there is a difference.

The running is the shit. I dropped a fair bit in a short time. My sprinting improved out of site as well. I'm dying to get back into it. I stopped my GC training a few days ago, my urine is now back to normal. After my official test on Friday I'll be back into it. Anyone who has a urine test coming up, be warned, stop your training a week before hand!

Thats wierd shit.

Wednesday: 09.07.2005

I learned a very valuable lesson.

Cycling is nothing compared to running in terms of hardcore sprints.

Running reigns supreme.

I almost tapped out due to exhaustion around the 5th set, but I still went on.

One of my more lackluster performances as I didn't perform 100% on each 20-second burst. More like 75-80%.

At least I finished the 8 sets, albeit not completely.

I'm making progress.

PS: Did I mention running kicks more ass than cycling?

just for the interested...

stopped training for a week, ate regular junk. Passed my piss test no problems. Training again tomorrow!

Monday: 09.12.2005

First off,

I give major mad PROPS to anyone who can run 100% full speed balls out per 20-second bursts. It is no easy feat by any means and it sucks the soul right out of ya.

I was able to only run 7 full 90-100% full burst sets for the 20-second intervals. I'm very happy with it because I'd rather have that kind of progress than compared to 8 full 80-85% burst sets.

Anyway, some things I noticed:

1) My running has improved in my opinion. I'm taking longer strides and when I look at my stopwatch, I have shaved close to 5 seconds off my first and second bursts. That is immense progress as it indicates to me that I'm running more efficiently, properly, and taking wider strides thus increasing the distance I cover in less time.

2) I've measured how much body fat I have lost and thus far has been somehwere around 2-3%. I will make it fair by saying I have lost nearly 2.5% of body fat. It was a combination of guerilla cardio and proper nutrition. Not bad at all when you consider that I've been on and off with the program and have run at the most 2X per week on guerilla cardio and not the recommended 3 times, and also that body fat percentage is very difficult to lose.

3) I had trouble taking my post-workout shake as I had to force it down. That was a first. Also, another thing I noticed is that right when I enter the house, I am so exhausted and tired that I have to lay on my back and catch my breath for a full minute. I utterly collapse. That's the intensity that I think me and others like you achieve. Otherwise, go back and run 100% per set.

I'm happy with my results thus far as I have not eaten 100% clean and have not trained 100%. Imagine combining the two together and you have one mean lean machine.

PS: Abraham, you were right! Using a stationary cycle is nothing compared to running/sprinting at 100% capacity. Thanks for the advice!

if it doesnt rain im going to do it tomorrow morning, and i shall continue (tuesdays and saturdays) until summer comes around and hopefully by then i'll be able to pull in all the chicks with my super buff body :D

Okay- I tried GC for the first time today and I almost died! I could only run 4x and had to stop several times walking home. I just collapsed as soon as I got home and couldn't get up for about 20 mins.

Is this normal? I mean, I'm not totally out of shape but this is ridiculous! When I was reading the GC article, I was thinking to myself- "how bad can this be?" Needless to say, I'm not sure if I'm going to continue. Any words of inspiration?

Back