GSP's no ko's, lack of power? Or accuracy??

umm bad example (and i agree with you) because Hendo had a major back problem that he had to have surgery on following that fight.

guarantee that if they fought again it would be a different fight all together.

if he wasn't healthy to take the fight, shouldn't have been in it. excuses mean nothing to me.

GSP clearly doesn't have knockout power and he lacks killer instinct, as well.

cause he's George Soft Pierre
He's got little power, and his boxing is over rated. He could be better if he had some killer instinct like Nick Diaz does, but he doesn't and that it one reason why Nick will beat GSP

umm... ok.

Sorry, but what do you want from me? Didn't look like a fighter who needed major back surgery early on in the fight when he had Jake in lots of trouble, but just couldn't seal the deal. if he did require major back surgery after the fight, for all I know the injury could have occurred in the fight, and for such major back surgery, it's pretty fuckin impressive to be fighting 8 months later. Do you know anyone who has major back problems that would require major back surgery? I think you are a bit over stating just how major his back injury that required major surgery really was. I guess major back surgery doesn't require a whole lot of rehab when you throw a 2 month training camp into the mix, of your being back in the cage fighting within 8 months. Looked to me like the same Dan Henderson, who perhaps needed that realization to determine 185 takes a bit more out of him, and looked like his cardio ran out on him, and that's happened since, see him full mounted for 5 straight minutes against Shogun in round 5 and about half the 4rth round. Dan Henderson fades if he can't knock you out, and that happened against Shields whether a back issue or not, but anyways thanks for the information.

I'm sure a rematch with Shields could be very different, but at 185, who the fuck knows just how different it would be, and quite frankly a GSP/Shields rematch would be a lot more different as well provided GSP doesn't get gouged with fingers again.

Last edited:
He's got little power, and his boxing is over rated. He could be better if he had some killer instinct like Nick Diaz does, but he doesn't and that it one reason why Nick will beat GSP

I kind of like this analysis, because you base a prediction on it, like science. If Nick beats GSP, you can use it as evidence that GSP lacks Nick's killer evidence, as you say. If GSP beats Nick, then its evidence against your analysis that GSP lacks killer instinct. But either way, you're putting your prediction on the line. :cool:

My prediction is that GSP beats Nick, but isn't able to finish him. I don't think GSP lacks killer instinct, but that he lacks the power to KO someone (especially Nick), and lacks the submission skills to finish properly (the Hardy fight showed that - he had good finishing positions twice, and was cranking on them, but doing it wrong, as he himself admitted afterwards).

If Nick beats GSP, then my prediction is wrong and my analysis as well. If GSP finishes Nick, my analysis is wrong. If GSP beats Nick by decision, then my analysis might not be right, but it won't be proven wrong. Got to love science.

Title says it all, with so much talk of fighters with KO power and the lack of any finishes by the WW Goat, what is really thie issue?

I don't think it's a lack of power, he's caved in Kos's orbital, has dropped plenty of people.

Just never puts there lights out.

I think it's a lack of accuracy, or intent to land in a lights out spot.

I've often wondered if George doesn't finish people on purpose to pad his stats, longer fights more stats.

It's really the Serra fight. He was just much more aggressive earlier in his career. Afterwards, he's cautious. He could have finished several of those fights that went to decision, but ever since the Serra fight, he's been afraid of that out-of-the-blue-punch that can lose him the fight.

It's definitely not that he wants to inflict more punishment or pad his stats. If I recall, for example, in the Condit fight, he was quite aggressive until Condit hurt him in a striking exchange, then GSP went back to his safer fighting strategies.

I think you're just not going to see GSP finish fighters anymore unless they are no threat to knock him out on the feet, and not enough of a threat off the back that he can go all out in gnp instead of just doing enough to maintain position. In other words, I don't think you'll see GSP finishing anymore fighters unless he completely outclasses them.

GSP definitely has power, it just isn't one-punch KO power. He needs a good combo to put someone away, but he prefers to work off the jab and straight.

it's due to a lack of willingness to take the necessary risks.

that's it.

it has jack-shit to do with power or accuracy.

It's really the Serra fight. He was just much more aggressive earlier in his career. Afterwards, he's cautious. He could have finished several of those fights that went to decision, but ever since the Serra fight, he's been afraid of that out-of-the-blue-punch that can lose him the fight.

It's definitely not that he wants to inflict more punishment or pad his stats. If I recall, for example, in the Condit fight, he was quite aggressive until Condit hurt him in a striking exchange, then GSP went back to his safer fighting strategies.

I think you're just not going to see GSP finish fighters anymore unless they are no threat to knock him out on the feet, and not enough of a threat off the back that he can go all out in gnp instead of just doing enough to maintain position. In other words, I don't think you'll see GSP finishing anymore fighters unless he completely outclasses them.

he will never outclass his opponents again, unless they bring in Royce or Fedor

I agree with you that it seems that GSP's change in style has more to do with risk management than stat padding. He's trying to maximize his chance of winning while minimizing the amount of damage he takes (which is the goal of any real fight). Standing in the pocket with a guy who you can crush on the ground and getting KTFO doesn't make you look like a badass, it makes you look like an idiot. I'd have to rewatch the Condit fight before I'd say you're right on that call, but your analysis sounds logical to me (that is to say I believe you).

A thought crossed my mind when I read "I don't think you'll see GSP finishing anymore fighters unless he completely outclasses them". I could see the case being made for this happening (pick the low hanging fruit and go for the kill shot if you're fighting a can who can't cover up), but in some ways I think that we're more likely to see the opposite of what you described happening. That is, I think that Georges would only be willing to take the risks that come with going for the finish if he was fighting someone who posed a substantial threat to him. If he can dominate a dude from the top for 25 minutes without worrying about getting caught with anything, why open up at all? IMO, he's more likely to open up the playbook against a guy like Anderson (we learned from Shale 1 that going 25 minutes with him -- even when it looks like you are in total control -- is not the "safe" choice) than he is against any of the other welterweights.

I'll be surprised if he finishes anybody to close out his career. That Matt Serra fight was a real game changer for him. When Condit caught him off guard with that strike it pretty much reinforces he'll stick to being a safe fighter here on out.

it's due to a lack of willingness to take the necessary risks.

that's it.

it has jack-shit to do with power or accuracy.

Because even pre Serra when GSP was finishing guys at a high rate, he was KOing guys with his striking power, amiright?

Sorry but you are just a sad GSP hater. One of the worst. GSP has never shown striking power in his career. Not from his earliest days when he was rag dolling guys to now.

at a certain point even the haters have to admit that maybe he is just one that is not born with big punching power. Or maybe not because that does not serve their hate.

Jake Shields, hands down the worst striker in MMA tore gsp up on the feet.

Yes gsp's striking is poor. He gets away with it because the ww division is filled with poor striking wrestlers or decent strikers with no TDD and worthless on their back.

ufc129_12_gsp_vs_shields_024_large_large.jpg

You don't get your face smashed like that against Shields if you have any striking skills.

You do when you can only see out of one eye. How many other fighters can you name that have won with one eye?

I can't imagine how that could effect his depth perception. /sarcasm...

Shields may not be an elite striker but he is still a professional fighter.

Just like Nick beat Condit - with his killer instinct.

Man, if only GSP was able to do something more than just be Champion. All poor GSP can be is better than the rest, while not doing anything really well, just so happens to be better than the rest by some unknown force that no one will ever figure out.

GSP will finish Nick Diaz and will be the first WW to legitimately do that in nearly 10 years.

Possibly the best MMA wrestler in MMA, if not then at least top 5 (check out the recent thread).

Massively accurate striker who lands more shots on all his opponents than they do on him.

Possibly the best cardio in the division (OR ANY DIVISION) - we'll see compared to Nick when they fight.

Possibly physically strongest fighter in the division - manhandles everybody.

Well gsp has stated in the past that he doesn't have the power to ko opponents. That he fights to his strengths and ko power is not one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back