GSP's no ko's, lack of power? Or accuracy??

cause he's George Soft Pierre
He's got little power, and his boxing is over rated. He could be better if he had some killer instinct like Nick Diaz does, but he doesn't and that it one reason why Nick will beat GSP

I can't wait to hear your excuse when GSP destroys Diaz for 5 rounds and Nick shows no killer instinct. Maybe its impressive to you to watch your fighter take a solid beating for 25 minutes and not tap out.

If he could safely stop guys without too much risk to himself you can bet he would. He doesn't like being a decision fighter, but he's smart enough not to take unneeded risk. I think you might be onto something regarding accuracy as well. He dominates people but doesn't seem to catch them "on the button"

This.. and he doesn't really go for the knock out punch. He picks people apart, little by little. It works, so why change anything?

You do when you can only see out of one eye. How many other fighters can you name that have won with one eye?

I can't imagine how that could effect his depth perception. /sarcasm...

Shields may not be an elite striker but he is still a professional fighter.

What's annoying is shields landing multiple eye pokes in this fight yet some morons say that shields "out struck" gsp which is far from the truth.

It's a lack of power. More specifically, it's a lack of the kind of power needed to actually scramble someone's brain.

People consistently overrate how athletic GSP is. He is strong with good balance but he doesn't have explosive power which is usually the primary reason somebody would be called athletic. Even the power that he has now is the result of drilling technique and putting his legs into his punches. It's pretty obvious by the way he tends to push with his punches instead of snapping them.

The reason he messed up Koscheck's eye wasn't power but repetitive damage. He also used a very stiff jab which is not so much power but technique.

Risk aversion. Win the fight, try to take as little damage as possible. It is called fighting smart. Look at guys like Chuck, Leben, Wanderlei and the such. Get dropped all the time, and it catches up to you. High risk, low reward, short careers.

Title says it all, with so much talk of fighters with KO power and the lack of any finishes by the WW Goat, what is really thie issue?

I don't think it's a lack of power, he's caved in Kos's orbital, has dropped plenty of people.

Just never puts there lights out.

I think it's a lack of accuracy, or intent to land in a lights out spot.

If the shot that had dropped fitch, or broken kos face had landed dead on the button, do you still think they would have not been ko'ed?

I've often wondered if George doesn't finish people on purpose to pad his stats, longer fights more stats.

He basically went from finishing every single fight, to none?

What really got me, as in the last fight with Condit, he had condit in trouble more than once on the feet, and didn't continue with the punches or strikes, but went to take down immediately, seeming to "save" condit, for more abuse, and more stat numbers later??

Anyone else ever ponder on this? I believe he has the power, and accuracy but chooses not to for the reasons stated above??

So he intentionally doesn't finish guys so that he can stay in the fight longer?

I think you're just not going to see GSP finish fighters anymore unless they are no threat to knock him out on the feet, and not enough of a threat off the back that he can go all out in gnp instead of just doing enough to maintain position. In other words, I don't think you'll see GSP finishing anymore fighters unless he completely outclasses them.

He outclassed Dan Hardy pretty completely and still didn't finish him.

It's a lack of power. More specifically, it's a lack of the kind of power needed to actually scramble someone's brain.

People consistently overrate how athletic GSP is. He is strong with good balance but he doesn't have explosive power which is usually the primary reason somebody would be called athletic. Even the power that he has now is the result of drilling technique and putting his legs into his punches. It's pretty obvious by the way he tends to push with his punches instead of snapping them.

The reason he messed up Koscheck's eye wasn't power but repetitive damage. He also used a very stiff jab which is not so much power but technique.

Well, coaches in almost any sport will tell you the single most important physical attribute of athleticism is co-ordination (they drum into your head in coaching seminars that if your athlete is clumsy it doesn't matter how explosive, fit, strong, fast etc they are, they're going to fumble the ball, or be deked out by the puck carrier, or miss the curve ball, or lose the ball while dribbling), and he seems to be very co-ordinated, so I'd definitely call him athletic. Same as Floyd Mayweather.

And he actually seems to be quite explosive in his takedowns - he has an insanely high success rate, and even when he doesn't get it, he's almost never stuffed. But for some reason it doesn't translate into his punching - I suspect its something to do with his mechanics. Same thing with his submissions - he's doing something wrong with them too (see the Hardy fight for two glaring examples). I wonder if he just doesn't spend enough time on the finishing skills.

lol...gsp is like a real-life zeus. the guy has TONS of power.

he doesn't have power in his strikes because he doesn't plant his feet long enough in order to generate the power from his legs to his arms. and that's because he wants to avoid counters.

it's all due to his defense-first fighting mentality.

Risk aversion. Win the fight, try to take as little damage as possible. It is called fighting smart. Look at guys like Chuck, Leben, Wanderlei and the such. Get dropped all the time, and it catches up to you. High risk, low reward, short careers.

this is all correct. and i personally don't care.

i just get sick of gsp saying that, "i want to finish fights". yeah, i'm sure you do. but your actions don't correspond with what you're telling us.

lol...gsp is like a real-life zeus. the guy has TONS of power.

he doesn't have power in his strikes because he doesn't plant his feet long enough in order to generate the power from his legs to his arms. and that's because he wants to avoid counters.

it's all due to his defense-first fighting mentality.

As has been pointed out by many, planting your feet is a real no-no, something every great boxing coach (from Roach to Cus D'Amato to Dundee to Emanual Stewart) constantly said is very poor technique. You should be able to generate power while moving if you're going to be a top level striker. Planting your feet generally means you're going to be doing nothing more than punching at air, as your opponent slips away, and leaves you a stationary target for their counters. Really bad idea.

The question is why GSP can't develop power while moving. Maybe he should be spending more time with Freddy Roach (who might have more time now that Pacquiao might retire).

I wish I had something to add, but I've never seen a thread along these lines before so I need to take my time to think and formulate an evenhanded reply.

Translation: "GSP knows how to fight. I don't."

If GSP was fighting the top 20-30...yeah Im sure he would be finishing fights left and right. The top 5 guys don't really go down easily...seeming as they fought to the top five >_>

If GSP was fighting the top 20-30...yeah Im sure he would be finishing fights left and right. The top 5 guys don't really go down easily...seeming as they fought to the top five >_>

Pretty much this.

I'm not a GSP fan, but his lack of finishing probably has more to do with the fact that he's (usually) fighting the #2 guy in the division. As a general rule, most of the guys in the top 5 are pretty hard to beat, let alone finish.

I can't believe I have read through 80 posts, and still not one person has yet to give the correct answer.

No finishes (KO's in particular) in this timeframe is 100% directly correlated to the $$$!

Why do some fighters focus more on finishing fights than getting a win by UD? Simple, the sweet KOTN and SOTN $$$ bonuses that the UFC hands out on top of the fighters contracted salaries!

Why does GSP not care about this bonus money? Name one KO or submission artist in the UFC that makes near as much as GSP does!

Geez people, it is plain as the noses on your faces!

A far better set of questions to ask are:

Why does he draw so much more PPV audience point fighting than any other UFC champion with the "killer instinct"?

Why does GSP get away with wearing the Dennis Hallman too tight shorts, when I though Dana wanted all boxer type bottoms?

Back