GSP's no ko's, lack of power? Or accuracy??

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Title says it all, with so much talk of fighters with KO power and the lack of any finishes by the WW Goat, what is really thie issue?

I don't think it's a lack of power, he's caved in Kos's orbital, has dropped plenty of people.

Just never puts there lights out.

I think it's a lack of accuracy, or intent to land in a lights out spot.

If the shot that had dropped fitch, or broken kos face had landed dead on the button, do you still think they would have not been ko'ed?

I've often wondered if George doesn't finish people on purpose to pad his stats, longer fights more stats.

He basically went from finishing every single fight, to none?

What really got me, as in the last fight with Condit, he had condit in trouble more than once on the feet, and didn't continue with the punches or strikes, but went to take down immediately, seeming to "save" condit, for more abuse, and more stat numbers later??

Anyone else ever ponder on this? I believe he has the power, and accuracy but chooses not to for the reasons stated above??

If he could safely stop guys without too much risk to himself you can bet he would. He doesn't like being a decision fighter, but he's smart enough not to take unneeded risk. I think you might be onto something regarding accuracy as well. He dominates people but doesn't seem to catch them "on the button"

He dont fight to KO opponents, he fights to win a decision. He has the power to do it, but I think he dont ant to risk himself, so he plays it safe

If he's doing it on purpose does that make it better or worse?

Diaz hasn't finished anyone since he's back in the UFC

Condit has had a few decisions himself since he's in the UFC.

Finishing top WWs is hard unless your name is Hendricks, yet he didn't finish Koscheck either. Most of the top WWs have only been finished once.

Clearly GSP is just trying to "pad his stats," because, you know, there is just such great reward in doing so.

:rolleyes:

Dumbest thing I have ever read on Sherdog.

Not really, when you think about it. He wants to beat all the WW records, and to beat all the records you have to have alot of time in the cage.

Most consecutive rounds won at WW, that record would be hard to do with everyfight ending in the first or second like his used to.

Most strikes landed at ww, again hard to do with fights ending sooner.

He's most proud of all his accomplishments, and records, was just a random thought.

With as good as his striking is, it's hard to believe that he couldn't have landed on the button, just friggin once in the last few years if he wanted to..

Lack of tenacity.

This.

He just doesn't seem to follow up when he has someone hurt. In the Shields fight he hurt him several times and dropped him but would not follow it up with anything. In the Condit fight, I think in the fourth round, it looked like he had him hurt and when he could have followed up with more strikes he instead went for a take down that didn't really do anything for him.

Diaz hasn't finished anyone since he's back in the UFC

Condit has had a few decisions himself since he's in the UFC.

Finishing top WWs is hard unless your name is Hendricks, yet he didn't finish Koscheck either. Most of the top WWs have only been finished once.

Obviously finishing fighters at the top of the heap is harder than at the bottom, that's why they are there.

It's just uncanny how he hasn't had a legit finish in a long time. And I beleive he has all the tools to do it, maybe not every fight like he used to when he was coming up, but at least one out of every three??

It's almost like he avoids it on purpose.

This.

He just doesn't seem to follow up when he has someone hurt. In the Shields fight he hurt him several times and dropped him but would not follow it up with anything. In the Condit fight, I think in the fourth round, it looked like he had him hurt and when he could have followed up with more strikes he instead went for a take down that didn't really do anything for him.

Exactly, is this a loss of tenacity, or a desire to drag the fight out longer, to either

A) continue to punish the other fighter longer
B) drag the fight out longer to pad records?

He's accurate actually. I don't think he has a ton of punching power, but I believe it's mostly not going all out for the finish. He's finished a good amount of guys early in his career so I think he has some power.

Risk management, healthy (smart) cautiousness.

When standing he doesn't believe risking himself in order to hurt you is a good trade off and he's right with such great wrestling

I have noticed the same thing - that he almost seems to prolong the fights purposely. Although the conclusion I came up with was drastically different than your...I think GSP gets tired of being the nice guy all the time and come fight night, he finally gets to cut loose. He wants to savor it...also, I think he may be a little sadistic and wants to further humiliate his opponent

Not really, when you think about it. He wants to beat all the WW records, and to beat all the records you have to have alot of time in the cage.

Right. GSP would rather be the record holder for stuff like that instead of having most subs, KO/TKOs, etc.

:rolleyes:

Back