GSP's no ko's, lack of power? Or accuracy??

lack of KO power. He landed plenty of shots in the first 3 rounds of Condit/GSP and if he had dropped him, he wouldve shown that 'killer instict' or whatever the fuck you guys call it. He didnt drop him, he didnt get the opportunity to show it, end of story.

To KO someone you almost always have to put yourself at risk (unless you're Anderson)...and GSP is a combination of too smart and competitive to do that.

Also, I think that he is a true martial artist and doesn't believe that a brutal KO is necessary to accomplish what he wants to do. IMHO anyway.

Title says it all, with so much talk of fighters with KO power and the lack of any finishes by the WW Goat, what is really thie issue?

I don't think it's a lack of power, he's caved in Kos's orbital, has dropped plenty of people.

Just never puts there lights out.

I think it's a lack of accuracy, or intent to land in a lights out spot.

If the shot that had dropped fitch, or broken kos face had landed dead on the button, do you still think they would have not been ko'ed?

I've often wondered if George doesn't finish people on purpose to pad his stats, longer fights more stats.

He basically went from finishing every single fight, to none?

What really got me, as in the last fight with Condit, he had condit in trouble more than once on the feet, and didn't continue with the punches or strikes, but went to take down immediately, seeming to "save" condit, for more abuse, and more stat numbers later??

Anyone else ever ponder on this? I believe he has the power, and accuracy but chooses not to for the reasons stated above??

Georges is a wrassler.

He uses strikes to open up and allow for a takedown so he can wrassle the shit out of his opponent.

Risk management, healthy (smart) cautiousness.

When standing he doesn't believe risking himself in order to hurt you is a good trade off and he's right with such great wrestling

I get that, but what about when he rocks an opponent and clearly has them in danger on the feet, then goes for a td.

I have noticed the same thing - that he almost seems to prolong the fights purposely. Although the conclusion I came up with was drastically different than your...I think GSP gets tired of being the nice guy all the time and come fight night, he finally gets to cut loose. He wants to savor it...also, I think he may be a little sadistic and wants to further humiliate his opponent

that was one of my options in a later post.

I get that, but what about when he rocks an opponent and clearly has them in danger on the feet, then goes for a td.

Again I believe that is risk management and comes from a very cerebral, smart style of fighting tht they teach at trixstar. If you refer to McDonald Penn it was the same deal. Rory had BJ hurt to the point where he could have finished but he remained calm, picked his shots and continued to do damage efficiently as opposed to sacrificing technique for power

Lack of taking a risk.

Plain and simple.

It is a bit of everything. He is definitely far from Anderson in terms of striking, who does not take too many risks but has ridiculous power, timing and precision.

lack of punching power. Not everyone has it. he put everything into his punches versus shields planting and throwing haymaker after haymaker and the only tiime he hurt him bad was with the head kick.

He has good power but not finishing power.

Lack of commitment to his strikes. He doesn't really plant his feet much and that's how you generate the most power. Doesn't make him a bad striker though, he sets it up perfectly for the takedown.

Lack of commitment to his strikes. He doesn't really plant his feet much and that's how you generate the most power. Doesn't make him a bad striker though, he sets it up perfectly for the takedown.

I get that, but he hit fitch with enough force to send him flying backwards and broke kos's face.

Thats enough power, on th button imo to put someone out.

I think it's accuracy, or not an intent of hitting the chin, for whatever reason

The dude has power just a lack of killer instinct. Either he doesn't throw everything into his punch bc he doesn't want to be off balanced or exposed, or if he has someone hurt he doesn't go for the finish bc he is scared of a rogue punch that will put his lights out. GSP is like a womanizer - No Commitment.

In GSP's case it's more a lack of testicles

When you get in the cage with guys like Koschek, Alves, Condit, and even Hardy (who I suspect would have you running in no time) then it'll be time for you to question the testicles of someone who's gotten in the cage and had the door closed behind him many times. :rolleyes:

My suspicion is that he just doesn't have the power. You can have a lot of strength, and still not have the right mechanics for a powerful punch. Maybe if he spent more time with Freddy Roach he'd fix that, but for now he doesn't seem to have that concussion to his punch. Its like Floyd Mayweather - lot's of athleticism, but no power.

You're not supposed to plant your feet. Every top level boxing trainer and manager (including Emanual Stewart, Freddie Roach, Cus D'Amato) has pointed this out time and time again. If the only way you can develop power is planting your feet, you're doing it wrong.

When you get in the cage with guys like Koschek, Alves, Condit, and even Hardy (who I suspect would have you running in no time) then it'll be time for you to question the testicles of someone who's gotten in the cage and had the door closed behind him many times. :rolleyes:

My suspicion is that he just doesn't have the power. You can have a lot of strength, and still not have the right mechanics for a powerful punch. Maybe if he spent more time with Freddy Roach he'd fix that, but for now he doesn't seem to have that concussion to his punch. Its like Floyd Mayweather - lot's of athleticism, but no power.

You're not supposed to plant your feet. Every top level boxing trainer and manager (including Emanual Stewart, Freddie Roach, Cus D'Amato) has pointed this out time and time again. If the only way you can develop power is planting your feet, you're doing it wrong.

Technically correct, but, it DOES generate power and its easier to do it this way than with good footwork - if you've no respect for your opponent's hands, it seems like a viable option at the time, at least.

To KO someone you almost always have to put yourself at risk (unless you're Anderson)...and GSP is a combination of too smart and competitive to do that.

Also, I think that he is a true martial artist and doesn't believe that a brutal KO is necessary to accomplish what he wants to do. IMHO anyway.

wow good way to spin it. Too competitive to KO someone? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? True martial artist? Okay..

Stiff hips & high caliber of opposition. GSP has never had fluid hip rotation on his punches from what I can tell because be doesn't want to over extend...

Last edited:
Back