GSP's no ko's, lack of power? Or accuracy??

Commitment. In boxing, we were taught about follow through. Sitting down on punches. There is a difference between punching at and punching through. Bisping and GSP were both volume fighters. Both started out exciting and then fell off. Count in tuf and GSP up to Hughes 2. GSP also fights not to lose.

When he had Condit hurt on the feet, he chose for the takedown instead of looking for the KO/TKO finish because takedowns and ground control is his safety blanket, and taking down a hurt opponent is a gimme at that spot. Fishing for the KO, in his mind, leaves him open ala Pat Barry vs Chieck Kongo, and he'd rather get the takedown and control.

lack of desire to ko opponents. In a way, instead of fighting to win, he fights not to lose, and he's pretty damn good at that

It's a multitude of factors, lack of killer instinct, power, and he doesn't really commit to power shots.

lack of talent at level of Andersen
to make opponents look like white belts.

Technically correct, but, it DOES generate power and its easier to do it this way than with good footwork - if you've no respect for your opponent's hands, it seems like a viable option at the time, at least.

True, its easier to get power if you plant your feet, but telling a fighter he should use bad technique to try to get a finish sounds wrong. And it also assumes the other fighter is flat footed - one problem with planting your feet is that if your opponent has good footwork, you generally end up generating a lot of power and just hitting air. And at the top level, not many WW are flat footed.

Moreover, not having respect for your opponent's hands seems like a bad tactic if they actually have good power. I don't think GSP would win that many fights if he planted his feet and tried to go blow for blow like a tough man contest ... and actually, I suspect guys like Alves, Koschek, and Condit, and Hardy come to think of it, would take advantage of it, letting him hit air with his planted feet, and then hit him hard.

GSP is the best WW at the moment, but he's not so much the best that he can disregard good technique. GSP with bad technique, like any fighter with bad technique, loses badly at the title fight level.

Exactly, is this a loss of tenacity, or a desire to drag the fight out longer, to either

A) continue to punish the other fighter longer
B) drag the fight out longer to pad records?

The interesting thing is that whatever the reasoning, it's intentional which, in some ways, makes it all that more impressive. He completely controls the fight and fighter for 25 minutes. Sure we'd all love to see him go berserker and go for the finish but he looks at it like a business and wants to maintain the title and have a long career.

GSP wants to finish fights, but he wants to do it without putting himself at risk, and that won't happen.

I don't think GSP is intentionally taking every fight to a decision to pad his stats. I'm not even sure that makes sense. I think it's pretty clear that he needs to apply greater pressure when he has an opponent hurt. He doesn't capitalize well enough because as previously mentioned he doesn't want to take the risk. But I think it's pretty clear that a fighter as athletic and skilled as he is could probably stand to take a few more risks.

Yes, he may end up taking a hit on the score cards but it may be the only way for him to get a few more finishes and finally shed the criticism that he receives. Then again, this is Sherdog, we'll find some reason to hate.

GSP wants to finish fights, but he wants to do it without putting himself at risk, and that won't happen.

he wants to finish fights?? lol

gsp only cares about getting the win, he could care less about getting the finish, and he's shown that plenty of times

It's GSP's punching mechanics. While he has lots of power, his shoulders are very tight when he punches. I believe there is a video of Freddie Roach talking about this topic.

Edit: here is the video.

@ 3:24, Roach mentioned about helping GSP to loosen up, because he's very strong but stiff:

Last edited:
- He mostly throws 1- or 2-shot combinations.
- Carrying around that much muscle mass in 5 round fights requires an enormous gas tank, so he has to pace himself. People who have a similar build, and go for the KO, often gas themselves out. I'm not sure if you realize how much energy you have to spend trying to finish somone.
- He's primarily a position/GNP guy, so you can't compare his knockout rate to Anderson's.
- He knows that he can dominate guys and be the biggest PPV-draw by just playing it safe, so there's no need for change. His winning streak is more important than how many KOs he gets.

he wants to finish fights?? lol

gsp only cares about getting the win, he could care less about getting the finish, and he's shown that plenty of times
So you honestly think GSP would rather win by decision than by KO? Seriously? Are you really that stupid?

Of course GSP wants to finish his opponents, but only if he can do it without putting himself at risk.

He is very accurate he just doesn't throw his punches with mean intentions and he is naturally not a big puncher

Parity in the WW division.

There are so many fighters that could wear the belt, the difference between them is almost nill.

Back