GSP past his prime?

He hurt him with a big left hand.

ibxPOH8tyLqeCB.gif

Something GSP wouldn't be able to do since he doesn't have fight ending power.

It's hard to put on that great of a performance when you are suffering from a pretty bad injury. He still hurt Robbie on the feet several times, so, he beat Robbie at his own game or at least evened out. And I'm a huge Lawler fan.

I like Lawler too, and I'm in no way insinuating that GSP would walk through him. He'd be a tough fight.

BUT

You still aren't answering how Hendricks bicep has anything to do with getting sucked into causing himself to punch himself out while doing little to no damage to Robbie in the second round.

It was more a knock against Hendricks clearly getting sucked into Robbie's plan and then getting his ass kicked for two rounds.

Or Hendricks not being able to hold lawler down and had no choice to stand with him instead of wasting his energy trying for a takedown

Alves was a beast in 2009. You just gonna act like every fighter in the world maintains the same level of ability forever just to discredit Georges?

I love how you say "Hell" as though Lawler isn't the #2 guy in the world right now. Alves Vs Lawler would be a super competitive fight that could go either way, prime Fitch would likely grind a decision against him.

No amount of hyperbole will make him better than he actually was. He was a good fighter, but no world beater.

I said 'Hell' because 1 man from the WW division could take them both out. Alves is too hittable as well as Fitch. They do good against the Lytle's and Thiago's of the division, but that's it

He's got to be he's 33, fighters are so far past their "primes" at 33, ask Fedor fans.

Yes because only noobs and morons look at things so simplistically and equate a fighter's 'prime' to age alone

Yes GSP's prime was probably 2-3 years ago. Fitch/Alves era IMO

If Jones is still in his prime by 30 I'll be very suprised

He actually put on a great performance against him, and came close to winning the fight.

If you don't choose Lawler over Alves or Fitch then well... I just don't know what to say.

Lawler vs 2009 Alves would be a fucking awesome fight.

I like Lawler too, and I'm in no way insinuating that GSP would walk through him. He'd be a tough fight.

BUT

You still aren't answering how Hendricks bicep has anything to do with getting sucked into causing himself to punch himself out while doing little to no damage to Robbie in the second round.

It was actually the 3rd and 4th rounds of the fight in which this happened, and he didn't 'punch himself out' because if that were true, he wouldn't have won the 5th.

How do you fully implement a gameplan when you have an injured bicep? Are you saying a mid-fight injury doesn't fuck you with mentally?

Yes because only noobs and morons look at things so simplistically and equate a fighter's 'prime' to age alone

Yes GSP's prime was probably 2-3 years ago. Fitch/Alves era IMO

If Jones is still in his prime by 30 I'll be very suprised
Me too especially if he gets into more wars like the Gus fight or has a major injury like a torn ACL

All this prime talk, we'll what you gsp fans have to say about lawler who was fighting the very best before gsp was even fighting and still fighting the best.

It was actually the 3rd and 4th rounds of the fight in which this happened, and he didn't 'punch himself out' because if that were true, he wouldn't have won the 5th.

How do you fully implement a gameplan when you have an injured bicep? Are you saying a mid-fight injury doesn't fuck you with mentally?

He gassed out in the third and fourth. It was obvious. He was slow as hell and Lawler was beating the shit out of him. He got sucked into Robbie's plan, it was actually pretty obvious to an observer what Robbie was doing.
Do you not believe in getting a second wind? Hendricks was noticably faster in the fifth, plus Robbie had gotten tired.

No amount of hyperbole will make him better than he actually was. He was a good fighter, but no world beater.

I said 'Hell' because 1 man from the WW division could take them both out. Alves is too hittable as well as Fitch. They do good against the Lytle's and Thiago's of the division, but that's it

The fact he was a #1 contender would prove otherwise.

Well then you need to review your use of the word "hell", since you clearly don't know what it implies. Alves is hittable? LOL. Fitch was hittable, but he had a hell of a chin and was relentless with takedowns. He also had a better top game than anyone that has taken Robbie down in his current UFC run, prime Fitch winning a 3 round decision against Lawler isn't a crazy outcome in any way.

Just for the record, Shields and Diaz (2 GSP opponents) both beat Lawler.

He gassed out in the third and fourth. It was obvious. He was slow as hell and Lawler was beating the shit out of him. He got sucked into Robbie's plan, it was actually pretty obvious to an observer what Robbie was doing.
Do you not believe in getting a second wind? Hendricks was noticably faster in the fifth, plus Robbie had gotten tired.

Robbie put on a great performance, and it's hard to not be pulled into his gameplan when he's a fucking stud, and has a tendency to keep fights on the feet. He's the best striker at WW, but let's be clear, they beat the shit out of each other. It wasn't one sided. Lawler had his moments.

I think he's past his prime at 33. Most hockey players peak before they're 28.

The fact he was a #1 contender would prove otherwise.

Well then you need to review your use of the word "hell", since you clearly don't know what it implies. Alves is hittable? LOL. Fitch was hittable, but he had a hell of a chin and was relentless with takedowns. He also had a better top game than anyone that has taken Robbie down in his current UFC run, prime Fitch winning a 3 round decision against Lawler isn't a crazy outcome in any way.

Just for the record, Shields and Diaz (2 GSP opponents) both beat Lawler.

His wins preceding that title shit aren't that impressive.

Alves is indeed quite hittable. And Robbie has better defense and overall better striking than Alves. It is actually pretty crazy, because Robbie is a ridiculously bad match-up for him. I'm sorry, times have changed.

Shields beat him at a 182 lb CW (it's proven that Lawler has performed better as a WW) and Diaz beat him 10 years ago. Pretty irrelevant.

What? Alves has some of the best striking defense (or at lest he did) in the WW division. The kick from Kampmann and the counter right from GSP are the only real times he has been tagged in a really long time

What? Alves has some of the best striking defense (or at lest he did) in the WW division. The kick from Kampmann and the counter right from GSP are the only real times he has been tagged in a really long time

Lawler is a better striker than both of those men. Better defense than Alves, too.

All this prime talk, we'll what you gsp fans have to say about lawler who was fighting the very best before gsp was even fighting and still fighting the best.

1) Fighters don't age the same.
2) Lawler was NOT fighting the best for his whole career. In 2006, 2007 and 2008 it was very hit and miss as far as level of competition. Mid-2008 to 2012 was better but his record isn't exactly sterling. His UFC return has been truly impressive.
3) Lawler is a tough fucking dude.

His wins preceding that title shit aren't that impressive.

Alves is indeed quite hittable. And Robbie has better defense and overall better striking than Alves. It is actually pretty crazy, because Robbie is a ridiculously bad match-up for him. I'm sorry, times have changed.

Shields beat him at a 182 lb CW (it's proven that Lawler has performed better as a WW) and Diaz beat him 10 years ago. Pretty irrelevant.

Who knows how Alves will look now (he looked OK in his last fight), but if he gets back to his pre GSP self, before the 5 major sugary's, he is clearly a much better striker then Robbie. And Robbie gets tagged WAY more then Alves ever did

Back