GSP past his prime?

Who knows how Alves will look now (he looked OK in his last fight), but if he gets back to his pre GSP self, before the 5 major sugary's, he is clearly a much better striker then Robbie. And Robbie gets tagged WAY more then Alves ever did

Lawler is also fighting better competition than Alves. I don't see how he is 'clearly' a better striker, when Lawler's resume is much better than Alves'

His wins preceding that title shit aren't that impressive.

Alves is indeed quite hittable. And Robbie has better defense and overall better striking than Alves. It is actually pretty crazy, because Robbie is a ridiculously bad match-up for him. I'm sorry, times have changed.

Shields beat him at a 182 lb CW (it's proven that Lawler has performed better as a WW) and Diaz beat him 10 years ago. Pretty irrelevant.

They were very impressive.

Alves and Robbie are very evenly matched, both offense and defense. Could Robbie beat Alves? Sure, if I had to bet my house on it, I'd probably go with Robbie. All I'm saying is that it's not a forgone conclusion that Robbie beats Alves, it's a close fight. Robbie doesn't have amazing takedown defense, he has very good takedown defense but prime Fitch was persistent as hell and had a hell of a chin. Again, not saying I would bet the house on Fitch, but it could go either way.

If someone said what I said to you to me, I'd make the same argument that you have. The fact that you do say that though proves my point, fighters change over time. They get better and they get worse, GSP is worse now than he was in 2007-2010.

Lawler is also fighting better competition than Alves. I don't see how he is 'clearly' a better striker, when Lawler's resume is much better than Alves'

And i don't see how Alves is so "hittable" when he basically never gets hit flush.

No, who would have ever thought that a man who had been fighting for 10 years as a pro or amateur at age 29 could be thought of as past his prime.
All this prime talk, we'll what you gsp fans have to say about lawler who was fighting the very best before gsp was even fighting and still fighting the best.
He didn't really take his training very seriously for a while. Just pretty much lifted some weights, did some cardio then fought. His ability was better than his training.
613 said:
And i don't see how Alves is so "hittable" when he basically never gets hit flush.
Alves's head movement is pretty slick. He loves to slip and counter. His only glaring flaw is leading with his head while on offense.

He was hit a lot against GSP and Lawler is certainly a better stand-up fighter than GSP.

He was hit a lot against GSP and Lawler is certainly a better stand-up fighter than GSP.

So your only example of Alves being hittable is that he got hit by GSP....

sy44zq.jpg

getting hit a lot by GSP doesn't really say much when GSP was, for a long time, the best in the world at shooting when you thought he wanted to jab, and jabbing when you thought he wanted to shoot.

There were so many instances in that fight where Alves didn't move his head because he thought GSP wanted a takedown, and then he got hit in the face, which created more and more uncertainty and tentativeness in Alves as the fight went on, etc...

Pure striking, yeah Lawler would beat GSP, but in terms of mma striking they're not actually that far apart. In fact GSP is one of the better mma strikers in UFC history, but oh I forgot he only wins via wrestling, yep...

I still think he's in his prime but his mentality isn't if that makes any sense.

It makes sense. I disagree though; after having gone through two acl surgeries I doubt he will be the same.

The Kampmann fight was 1 strike, the Noble fight was 8 years ago.

Ok then what supposed version of Alves has better striking than Lawler? The one that existed for 2 years? Just give it up already.

Actually he was not hit that often or that hard vs GSP. He was dropped but that was because GSP countered a leg kick when he was off balance. Lawlar was hit harder in both his last two fights

And the GSP that fought Alves would definitely strikeout Lawler. Don't know why idiots try to shit on GSPs striking when he was definitely the best MMA striker at WW for years. He out stuck everybody

Well I guess he just isn't hittable then, right? With GSP gone watch the fuck out WW division. Am I doing it right guise?

Not to mention Kampmann is one of the best technical strikers at WW haha... dude's got such tight counters.

Ok then what supposed version of Alves has better striking than Lawler? The one that existed for 2 years? Just give it up already.

The one from 2008/2009 i.e the one that GSP fought. Hell even today, it would be a close fight.

Actually he was not hit that often or that hard vs GSP. He was dropped but that was because GSP countered a leg kick when he was off balance. Lawlar was hit harder in both his last two fights

And the GSP that fought Alves would definitely strikeout Lawler. Don't know why idiots try to shit on GSPs striking when he was definitely the best MMA striker at WW for years. He out stuck everybody

Not necessarily.

Lawler hits hard, is durable as fuck, and versatile. His resume of KO's impresses me much more than Alves', which consists of guys that were good at WW many many years ago.

I don't see him being able to outstrike Lawler easily, especially since he's a southpaw with better boxing.

GSP was the pound for pound best mma fighter in the world, period, for a long time, but apparently learning to wrestle to open up opportunities for striking, as well as putting other wrestlers on their back so that you can actually play your amazing top game against them, is lame and gay.

Back