GSP past his prime?

The last of his prime was the Alves fight imo.

Take nothing away from the new guys, but none of them would have anything on Prime GSP. Prime GSP would mop the floor with everyone in the WW division of today.

Styles make fights and even prime GSP would have a problem with Hendricks. He wouldn't be able to outwrestle him, he's not stronger than him, and though he has crisper striking, Hendricks has a big advantage in power and GSP's one weakness is that he doesn't have a Cabbage Coreira-level chin.

I honestly think he'd go 10-0. i think he retired at the perfect time, though.

I mean I'm speaking for myself, but he never came of as unbeatable to me because he seemed susceptible to getting KO'd. His last three outings didn't help either but that's just his age and probably his injuries catching up to him.

Every fighter is susceptible to getting KO'd.

Last edited:
GSP dosen't have that monsterous explosivness in his takedowns that he used to have. I'd say his prime was about the Alves fight.

Styles make fights and even prime GSP would have a problem with Hendricks. He wouldn't be able to outwrestle him, he's not stronger than him, and though he has crisper striking, Hendricks has a big advantage in power and GSP's one weakness is that he doesn't have a Cabbage Coreira-level chin.

I think the fact that Hendricks is a southpaw that knows how to hand-fight is far and beyond the biggest advantage he has over GSP. That heavily negates GSP's jab, which is the epicenter of his very game. The fact that GSP managed to jab resonably well despite that is a true testimony to his talent.

He's got to be he's 33, fighters are so far past their "primes" at 33, ask Fedor fans.

The only thing more annoying than blind, dick riding fanboys are blind, bullshit haters who constantly insert their bullshit opinions on certain fighters on completely irrelevant topics.

GSP is definitely past his prime, and I think his last three - maybe four - fights proved it. With a second ACL injury, I doubt he will be able to return as an elite welterweight.

One thing that wasn't stated: Speed.

GSP was 2x faster in his prime than he was in the Hendricks fight. Maybe he's not a better pure wrestler, but his double Leg takedown from the setups were so god damned fast that not even Hendricks would be able to stop him. Sure his chin has always been suspect, but it would've been hard for him to get KO'd while he's on top in their guard.

If GSP can come back with that BJ Penn esque motivation, he would have the prime level speed he needs to become champ again and not lose until he officially retires.

A fighters prime is not a number nor is it the same for any two fighters. For all we know, GSP could come back and be better than ever.

FYI, GSP would beat anyone in the current top 10.

GSP never really had that aura of invincibility tho

Dude, at 1 point during his title defence run, he won 36 consecutive rounds!!!

How is that not an aura of invincibility?

You are forgetting how explosive GSP was with his TD's back when he fought Alves.

Prime GSP outwrestled Koscheck at UFC 74 by a landslide and Koscheck outwrestled Hendricks even though he lost a split decision victory to him. In many eyes including mine Koscheck won that fight against Hendricks, and arguments could be made for Pierce and Condit beating Hendricks. If anyone lacks that aura of invincibility it is Hendricks.

He's on the wrong side of 30 and is coming off of two ACL tears. I'd say it's safe to say that he's past his prime. I honestly think he's done.

Aren't we jumping the gun here? Shouldn't he have back to back loses b4 we say he's out of his prime? I mean his last loss was years back. When he loses then we can talk and I'm glade gsp is gone.. boring ass fighter.

He beat the guy who is #1 right now, and he also beat Condit (whatever # he is).
Hendricks and Condit are far better than most of the other contenders GSP faced during his tenure. They pose much more problems than Fitch, Hardy, Alves, or Koscheck.

I think, like Fedor, he's still in his 'athletic' prime, but his interest level isn't what it used to be.
But maybe the leg injuries have taken something out of GSP.

Prime GSP outwrestled Koscheck at UFC 74 by a landslide and Koscheck outwrestled Hendricks even though he lost a split decision victory to him. In many eyes including mine Koscheck won that fight against Hendricks, and arguments could be made for Pierce and Condit beating Hendricks. If anyone lacks that aura of invincibility it is Hendricks.

Hendricks got a lot better since then. A LOT.

I'm a huge GSP fan, but he is past his prime. The guy has had some major injuries (2 ACL tears, a torn groin, and a few others), but continued to win fights. However, those injuries have to be taking a huge toll on his body. That, coupled with the fact that he has to be mentally burnt out after the incredible amount of training he was doing for years straight, means that he has to be done with professional fighting. I'm glad that he went out on top. We won't see someone with his combination of athleticism and discipline again for a long time.

Aren't we jumping the gun here? Shouldn't he have back to back loses b4 we say he's out of his prime? I mean his last loss was years back. When he loses then we can talk and I'm glade gsp is gone.. boring ass fighter.

Those two judges were among the few who felt GSP won his last fight. Now granted, theirs is the only opinions that mattered, but still, most people feel he lost to Hendricks.

IMO, GSP is obviously quite a bit slower and less explosive than he was before the first ACL tear and now he's suffered a second ACL tear.

Needs to stay retired and I think with age, the longevity of his career (14 years almost) and two major knee injuries...are all good reasons to just enjoy his legacy without the need to prove anything.

That being said, prime GSP beats any of the top 10. The guy was a tactical genius and controlled the tempo, and dictated the pace in every fight.

I think the first ACL injury really did hamper is athletic ability. He wasn't able to change levels and hit that take down like he could pre acl injury.

It's not only that he is out of his prime, but that the talent pool is at its strongest ever riht now. I think Lawler would starch Georges probably at this point.

Back