GSP is the most gifted athlete I've ever seen in any sport

You know that several soccer players are on the top 10 best paid athletes in the world, making tens of millions of dollars a year. If you believe its that easy to gain those skills (ie it doesn't require a natural talent to learn skills) then why not become one of those extremely rich soccer players yourself?

Seriously, if anyone can learn to play high level soccer and earn millions of dollars a year, then why aren't they doing so? Same with baseball. Its very skill based, and just about everyone in MLB earns more than a million a year. If anyone can learn those skills, why do so few play at major league level? Being able to learn high level skills is as rare as high level explosiveness -- you need to be born with the right neurological genetics. Its a major part of athleticism.

Coordination and timing are not only parts of athleticism, but might in fact be the most important parts of it for most sports. Soccer takes extreme coordination and timing. The problem with extreme explosiveness in soccer is that it means lack of endurance (look at the difference in builds between sprinters and marathon runners). And unlike American football, there is much more running and far fewer breaks in soccer. The ideal is a trade-off between endurance and explosiveness.

I wouldn't disagree with a lot of what you're saying; however, it changes the subject to what exactly is raw athletic ability? To me, it means strength, speed, agility. Those are the attributes that will give you an advantage at pretty much any sport hat requires "athletic ability." I don't consider guys like Tom Brady or Larry Bird to be athletic specimens. I also don't consider endurance to be associated with raw athletic ability unless it's something special, like a legit distance runner or something. The guys playing professional soccer have better cardio on average than most NFL players because of the way they're built, but NFL players could drop mass and develop that endurance way before any of these soccer players are matching the strength and explosiveness of most NFL players.

[
I wouldn't disagree with a lot of what you're saying; however, it changes the subject to what exactly is raw athletic ability? To me, it means strength, speed, agility. Those are the attributes that will give you an advantage at pretty much any sport hat requires "athletic ability." I don't consider guys like Tom Brady or Larry Bird to be athletic specimens. I also don't consider endurance to be associated with raw athletic ability unless it's something special, like a legit distance runner or something. The guys playing professional soccer have better cardio on average than most NFL players because of the way they're built, but NFL players could drop mass and develop that endurance way before any of these soccer players are matching the strength and explosiveness of most NFL players.

I like your criteria of saying athleticism attributes that give you an advantage at pretty much any sport that requires athletic ability -- I've never seen it put so usefully before.

However, I think you have to include coordination, balance, and timing -- and in fact, I'd argue that coordination and timing are usually more important than strength, speed or agility.

Of course you need some of all of them. Someone with no strength can't even stand-up, let alone do anything in most sports. Neither can someone with no coordination or balance (watch someone with MS for instance, a pretty horrible disease). But coordination and timing are what allow you to learn high level skills in the first place.

For my part, I look at Larry Bird and Tom Brady and see two guys who are among the most valuable players in two of the most athletic sports out there (NBA and NFL), mainly because of out of the world coordination -- they're genetic freaks, very few people could do what they did no matter how many hours and years they spent trying to develop that level of skill.

Endurance is an interesting one. I partly agree with what you're saying, in that its an attribute that is only noticed if its insufficient. If your gas tank is too small then it'll strongly degrade your performance in most sports, but there's little gain in having a gas tank that holds ten times more than what is needed. That's different than say speed or coordination, since having ten times more speed or coordination will allow you to become almost unbeatable in most sports. For instance, imagine a basketball player so fast he could dribble through the entire opposition before they could move to stop him, or a basketball player that could sink baskets 100% of the time from anywhere on the court.

I'm not sure that most NFL players could develop the cardio necessary for soccer without losing all their strength and explosiveness -- most offensive and defensive line players have very high fast twitch fiber counts and low slow twitch counts, and big bone structures. By the time they lost enough mass to get the endurance, they'd be no faster or stronger than anyone else, and I don't think many of them have particularly enhanced nervous systems (for the coordination to apply soccer skills in high level play).

But like I said, I really like your definition of athleticism -- the attributes that allow an athlete to do well in most sports. Though thinking about that, it also includes mental attributes (which most high level coaches seem to think are vital).

[

I like your criteria of saying athleticism attributes that give you an advantage at pretty much any sport that requires athletic ability -- I've never seen it put so usefully before.

However, I think you have to include coordination, balance, and timing -- and in fact, I'd argue that coordination and timing are usually more important than strength, speed or agility.

Of course you need some of all of them. Someone with no strength can't even stand-up, let alone do anything in most sports. Neither can someone with no coordination or balance (watch someone with MS for instance, a pretty horrible disease). But coordination and timing are what allow you to learn high level skills in the first place.

For my part, I look at Larry Bird and Tom Brady and see two guys who are among the most valuable players in two of the most athletic sports out there (NBA and NFL), mainly because of out of the world coordination -- they're genetic freaks, very few people could do what they did no matter how many hours and years they spent trying to develop that level of skill.

Endurance is an interesting one. I partly agree with what you're saying, in that its an attribute that is only noticed if its insufficient. If your gas tank is too small then it'll strongly degrade your performance in most sports, but there's little gain in having a gas tank that holds ten times more than what is needed. That's different than say speed or coordination, since having ten times more speed or coordination will allow you to become almost unbeatable in most sports. For instance, imagine a basketball player so fast he could dribble through the entire opposition before they could move to stop him, or a basketball player that could sink baskets 100% of the time from anywhere on the court.

I'm not sure that most NFL players could develop the cardio necessary for soccer without losing all their strength and explosiveness -- most offensive and defensive line players have very high fast twitch fiber counts and low slow twitch counts, and big bone structures. By the time they lost enough mass to get the endurance, they'd be no faster or stronger than anyone else, and I don't think many of them have particularly enhanced nervous systems (for the coordination to apply soccer skills in high level play).

But like I said, I really like your definition of athleticism -- the attributes that allow an athlete to do well in most sports. Though thinking about that, it also includes mental attributes (which most high level coaches seem to think are vital).
The mental aspect is an interesting variable to athleticism because it only applies to certain Sports or even certain positions in certain Sports. Obviously a dumbass couldn't play quarterback in the NFL or play point guard in the NBA. Combat Sports like boxing, mma, or wrestling require almost as much between the ears as they do in physical ability. People always talk about gsp's physical abilities, but he's got the mental aspect of the sport down almost better than anyone. The same could be said for Jon Jones.

Bumped for laughing at fat clueless yanks.
You know if we're just talking about white folks, the UK is just as fat as the U.S.

The discrepancies in our general populations in regards to obesity lie in the fact that we have different minorities groups. Yours lower the obesity rating while ours blow it up

What an embarrassing thread. There are athletes that have legitimately been professional, and highly successful, in multiple sports. Deion Sanders comes to mind. When GSP qualifies in the Olympics for wrestling, boxing, judo, and taekwondo then you've got a point.

The mental aspect is an interesting variable to athleticism because it only applies to certain Sports or even certain positions in certain Sports. Obviously a dumbass couldn't play quarterback in the NFL or play point guard in the NBA. Combat Sports like boxing, mma, or wrestling require almost as much between the ears as they do in physical ability. People always talk about gsp's physical abilities, but he's got the mental aspect of the sport down almost better than anyone. The same could be said for Jon Jones.

And other aspects of the mental part -- the ability to perform under pressure, not to give-up when things are going bad, the discipline to train hard, to work through injuries, to come back after mistakes or big setbacks, those aspects apply to almost every position in every sport. And in fact, one reason a lot of companies like to hire people who've played some sport is that those qualities apply not only to sport, but to most work and much of real life. There's actually very little they don't apply to.

Like Yoga Berri said, half of baseball is 90% mental.

GOAT athlete, mixed martial artist, and human being.

fedor-kettlebells.jpg

I was watching fedor highlights, I was in awe of his agility, power and endurance.

literally moves like a leopard

Gsp isnt a genetic freak. He is selfmade, both physically and from a skillset standpoint.

The guy is an ectomorph, and built himself into one of the physically strongest pound for pound fighters on the planet.

Plenty of stories of him overpowering 205ers during training.

gsp either has the largest obsessed homosexual fanbase or literally has paid shills trolling this website constantly

Then why the heck do you rate nfl players so high? This is probably the major sport that requires the least agility.

Then why the heck do you rate nfl players so high? This is probably the major sport that requires the least agility.
WTF are you talking about? Outside of the offensive and defensive line, Football requires the most agility of any major sport. Are you retarded?

Last edited:
You know if we're just talking about white folks, the UK is just as fat as the U.S.

The discrepancies in our general populations in regards to obesity lie in the fact that we have different minorities groups. Yours lower the obesity rating while ours blow it up
Yanks are fat and people from the UK have bad teeth. Apparently us Aussie's speak funny and are pretty disgusting humans, like you see us do shoeys. Thats not a joke, we do shit like that.

Yanks are fat and people from the UK have bad teeth. Apparently us Aussie's speak funny and are pretty disgusting humans, like you see us do shoeys. Thats not a joke, we do shit like that.
I have family in New South Wales. My Uncle went over there to Log in the 80's and knocked a chick up. He eventually got citizenship and stayed. I've never been there, but they have visited. His wife is a piece of work. Like, she'll drink 15 beers in a sitting and fart like a dude.

I was watching fedor highlights, I was in awe of his agility, power and endurance.

literally moves like a leopard

His combination of skills and athleticism was pretty remarkable, especially in his younger years. So much fun to watch him compete.

Even if theyre roided to the gills, Olympian male gymnasts are the worlds finest athletes imo.

I have family in New South Wales. My Uncle went over there to Log in the 80's and knocked a chick up. He eventually got citizenship and stayed. I've never been there, but they have visited. His wife is a piece of work. Like, she'll drink 15 beers in a sitting and fart like a dude.
Bahahahahahahaha thats why I go for Latina's. Still some feminine girls left.

Back