GSP and Hughes were massive welterweights compared to Colby and Usman

How is this bashing? It's a simple question. I would like to know the source of the claims though.

I’m talking about his threads. One is negative (bashing), the next is complimentary. Then back to negative.

I guess you haven’t actually seen his last few threads? Or you can’t see the obvious angle? You can actually research that in about 1 minute. Read the title and the OP.

Do the work, then if you still have any questions, I’ll be right here.

Colby weighs 181 in the cage and Usman weighs 185

GSP was 193 in the cage and Hughes 195

Is this just because of the IV ban or because fighters are cutting less weight nowadays?

I think your numbers are total BS. GSP walked around at 185 - 190 before weight cutting. He did not weigh 193 in the cage after cutting to 170 the day before when he fought at WW. Maybe he weighed 193 in the cage when he fought Bisping at MW after coming out of retirement and intentionally gaining weight. That is possible, but that was a MW fight, not a WW fight.

My view in terms of body weight ranking is Usman > GSP > Hughes and really don't know much about Colby's walk around weight, but its probably closer to GSP and Hughes. He doesn't seem as big as Usman who looks to be the biggest of the 4 WW fighters you referenced.

Honestly I don't give much credibility to anything outside of CSAC fight-day weights. Fighters self-reported weights can be unreliable for obvious reasons

Yup, exactly. If it isn't an official source it's hard to take serious. Fighters self reporting their fight night weight can be biased for obvious reasons, so meh.

I’m talking about his threads. One is negative (bashing), the next is complimentary. Then back to negative.

I guess you haven’t actually seen his last few threads? Or you can’t see the obvious angle? You can actually research that in about 1 minute.

Meh this guy hasn't been here long enough for me to recognize him or his threads.

I guess you haven’t actually seen his last few threads? Or you can’t see the obvious angle? You can actually research that in about 1 minute.

Never bashed GSP in my life

You have serious problems if you consider an objective analysis of his weight "bashing"
I think your numbers are total BS. GSP walked around at 185 - 190 before weight cutting. He did not weigh 193 in the cage after cutting to 170 the day before when he fought at WW. Maybe he weighed 193 in the cage when he fought Bisping at MW after coming out of retirement and intentionally gaining weight. That is possible, but that was a MW fight, not a WW fight.

My view in terms of body weight ranking is Usman > GSP > Hughes and really don't know much about Colby's walk around weight, but its probably closer to GSP and Hughes. He doesn't seem as big as Usman who looks to be the biggest of the 4 WW fighters you referenced.
Nah, Firas confirmed that he was 193 in cage

GSP wanted the narrative of "small WW" out there so his PR team went to work

GSP said in the press conference after the Condit fight that he was 185 pounds fight night. He was 187.5 pounds against Koscheck fight night. There was a backstage clip shown on a Canadian MMA show called MMA Connected (where GSP was on the scale hours before his fight, and he was 187.5 pounds. GSP was highest against Shields, because he put on weight for that fight, because Jake was coming down from MW and a big guy (192-194 pounds fight night).
That still makes him bigger than Usman and Colby lol

You have serious problems if you consider an objective analysis of his weight "bashing"

GSP said he was 185 pounds fight night against Condit and Nick Diaz. He was 187.5 pounds against Koscheck fight night. There was a backstage clip shown on a Canadian MMA show called MMA Connected with Showdown Joe in 2010 (where GSP was on the scale hours before his fight, and he was 187.5 pounds). GSP was highest against Shields, because he put on weight for that fight, because Jake was coming down from MW and a big guy (192-194 pounds fight night).

Gsp got huge for the Shields fight ..... very difficult to naturally put on some muscle in such a short time while training for a fight .... impressive imo

Last edited:

Read your link. The article did not say he was 193 in the cage on fight night. Read it again...carefully this time Skippy. Firas and GSP are from Montreal and what they say and how we might say the same thing as English speaking Americans might differ slightly. In addition, I can post multiple links to articles quoting GSP and / or Firas that GSP walked around at 185 - 190 over pretty much the entire length of his career. Perhaps he gained a little extra weight in the lead-up for Shields who fought at MW in Strikeforce and held the Strikeforce MW belt.

Read your link. The article did not say he was 193 in the cage on fight night. Read it again...carefully this time Skippy. Firas and GSP are from Montreal and what they say and how we might say the same thing as English speaking Americans might differ slightly. In addition, I can post multiple links to articles quoting GSP and / or Firas that GSP walked around at 185 - 190 over pretty much the entire length of his career. Perhaps he gained a little extra weight in the lead-up for Shields who fought at MW in Strikeforce and held the Strikeforce MW belt.
"I'd probably push him up to 200lbs for that fight [with Silva]," said Zahabi, who saw GSP enter the Shields fight at around 193lbs.

Learn how to read

that's pre-TRT.

Serra was as clean and GSP in that fight. GSP tapped to strikes.

Tapping to strikes takes you out of the top-5 best of all time.
This is just a meme, right? You're not serious?

We agree that when one guy is no longer able to intelligently defend himself the fight is over, right? GSP recognized that about himself before the ref did. But regardless the ref moved to stop the fight before the first tap actually came

When I was younger I used to be into weightlifting, and I was always surprised at how really muscular guys would always weigh less than you'd expect, and skinny fat guys would always weigh more than you'd expect. I remember arguing with one guy, because I didn't believe muscle weighs more than fat, because I would see huge muscular guys, and they would only be 175 lbs, same weight as guys I knew who never worked out and looked like average dudes.

I still don't understand it to be honest

Rumble Johnson was over 200 pounds as a WW (according to his own words). Till was 200 pounds against Woodley (according to his own words). Hendricks was 198 pounds against GSP (according to his own words). Those were the definition of big WW's.
GSP outweighs Colby by almost 15lbs

Nothing you do will change that simple fact.

GSP outweighs Colby by almost 15lbs

Nothing you do will change that simple fact.
I agree about Colby. However, GSP was not 15 pounds bigger. GSP was at his highest weight against Shields, but then for the following fights against Diaz and Condit- he came around lower. John Danaher mentioned that in an interview. GSP shed 7-8 pounds of weight against Condit (to weigh around 185 pounds). I trust the words of Danaher, who worked with GSP for the Condit and Diaz fights. For the Bisping fight- GSP was 190.5 pounds according to Danaher as a MW.

Last edited:
A 5 lb difference could mean the difference between eating/drinking or pooping on any given day. People who say GSP was only 187 lbs and not 193 for example is nitpicking at it's finest.

GSP was definitely a big WW. Go look at his fights against thiago alves or Johnny Hendricks. Those guys claimed to be over 200lbs in the cage and neither guy seriously out sized him if at all.

For whatever the reason people started to claim that GSP was a small WW like not too many years ago. The guy has never been outsized or out muscled in a fight. Not the biggest ever but definitely not a small WW by any means.

Last edited:
GSP said he was 185 pounds fight night against Condit and Nick Diaz. He was 187.5 pounds against Koscheck fight night. There was a backstage clip shown on a Canadian MMA show called MMA Connected with Showdown Joe in 2010 (where GSP was on the scale hours before his fight, and he was 187.5 pounds). GSP was highest against Shields, because he put on weight for that fight, because Jake was coming down from MW and a big guy (192-194 pounds fight night).

If memory serves, he was walking around as high as 197 prior to one of these fights. Not sure if I can find the article or interview, but I remember 197 being documented as his highest walk around weight.

Back