Greatest robbery in the history... well, since Jones-Gus

Maia's corner even said he was down 3-1 heading into the fifth and needed a finish.

I was rooting for Gus and scored the fight 48-47 for Jones. I would normally root for Maia, but as the fight was in Brazil I was actually rooting for Shields and gave it to him 48-47. Neither fight was a robbery, way to be a drama queen. If fights go to the judges be prepared to see your guy lose (unless your guy is GSP).

Round 1 was a toss-up - Maia took Shields down twice, but didn't do too much with it; neither guy landed many strikes; Shields took Maia down once and passed to half-guard twice (I think). Rounds 2 and 3 I definitely gave to Shields. 4th I gave to Maia, and 5th was also kind of a toss-up, could have gone either way.

While it was close, and I wouldn't have been too upset with a Maia win. Shields clearly won the fight. While I had it 49-46 shields 50-45 shields would have been reasonable as well. What can you say, shield dominated Maia on the ground. He did no damage but out grappled a bigger, stronger fighter

50-45? Has to be a troll post.

First round, both were on top for half the fight. Maia had more takedowns and advanced position better (taking Shields' back while Shields just sat in guard). Maia clearly wins the round.

10-9, Maia.

Second round, Shields clearly won it. No debate.

10-9, Shields.

Third round, Maia was landing on Shields good standing, but Shields was coming out on top in the scrambles and won the round decisively.

10-9, Shields.

Fourth round, Shields spamming takedowns, clearly doesn't want to stand with Maia. Maia stuffs them all and then gets the takedown himself. Ref stands them up for some reason. Maia's most dominant round, zero chance could be judge for Shields.

10-9, Maia.

Fifth round, Shields spamming takedowns again, but Maia stuffs them all. Maia getting the better of the stand up exchanges and finishes strong.

10-9, Maia.

Overall, close fight. I think Maia won 48-47, but I could see judges messing up and giving Shields the first and or fifth rounds. The first because Shields was on top in the second half to end the fight, but Maia still clearly should have been given that round. The fifth was probably the closest round where it was pretty much a stalemate. I can see judges giving Shields it for being more aggressive trying to take Maia down. I thought Maia edged it with him neutralizing Shields' takedown attempts and winning the striking exchanges.

Not a robbery either way, but people who say Shields clearly won or outgrappled Maia are trolling/retarded.

I thought Shields nudged the victory. Thought Gus won the first three rounds, but Jones started to come on stronger and finished strong, but thought based on 5 round scoring Gus won that fight.

Maia's corner even said he was down 3-1 heading into the fifth and needed a finish.

However, Maia actually lost because one judge scored round 5 for Shields so in fact he didn't need the finish, he just needed a more solid round 5.

Neither are robberies, and Demian and Gus are two of my favorite fighters.

is the split decision for Shields. I had it 3 rounds for Maia definitely (1,4,5), maybe even four (all but the second). What do you think?

I made a bunch of money on Shields but I agree with you. MMA judging is BS. I actually adjust my betting strategy to bet on fighters who I think the judges will gift the decision to.

Watch the fight without sound and consider who did more damage. Shields accomplished almost nothing on top. Anyone who thinks laying in Maia's guard is worthy of scoring criteria just doesn't understand fighting.

EDIT:

Don't agree with you about Gus-Jones.

I'm glad you're not a judge TS, it's annoying when people let their fighter bias get in the way of clear thinking.

Shields did plenty to win the first 3 rounds

No...they told him he was up three rounds and had the fight in the bag.

It kind of sad to see some people still don't know the difference between a close fight and a robbery...

Close fights cant be robberies. Now Hamill vs. Bigsping, that was the biggest one I can remember.

Robbery?? Not even close... I had 1, 4, and 5 for Maia as well but obviously a close fight so how could a decision either way be "robbery"??

On an unrelated topic, I'm new here and cannot figure out how to start a new thread, what am I missing?? Its something simple I'm sure but I've looked through everything and still can't figure out how to do anything but comment on an already existing thread.

You need to move beyond white belt for that. I think it's at 150 or 200 posts.

Ugh...these guys. Robbery is being thrown around far too much this year.

Lombard/Boetsch was more of a robbery than Gus/Jones, Maia/Shields, and Davis/Machida combined.

You need to move beyond white belt for that. I think it's at 150 or 200 posts.

Or you could just go to near the upper left corner and click "new msg" - unless of course you have dubbs...

You don't need to have a certain amount of posts to start a thread.

Or you could just go to near the upper left corner and click "new msg" - unless of course you have dubbs...

You don't need to have a certain amount of posts to start a thread.

Really? I guess I'm thinking of polls, but I thought that wasn't until orange.

There was nothing definite about the 1st round. I had it for Shields but you can argue for Maia, Shields or 10-10
Shields won 2 and 3
Maia won 4 and 5

Close fight, absolutely not a robbery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back