Gravitational waves detected

I think, for once, they do realise the gravity of such a profound discovery.

Next stop:

Half-Life-2-Gravity-Gun-003.jpg
there are a lot of smart guys on sherdog, what does this actually or potentially mean for us in the near future?

It will revolutionize the fleshlight industry apparently.

there are a lot of smart guys on sherdog, what does this actually or potentially mean for us in the near future?

It's huge on many levels. Space warp tech we know is possible now. Gravity waves will allow us to read the universe because they aren't really changed. It's one of the holy grails of physics. We can determine exactly mass = gravity, space time curves. Communications, etc. list goes on and on.

Interesting enough I've read a couple things explaining if a high level tech alien species was tryin to communicate to us at relative to us ftl, they'd use gravity waves.

Tldr we now know we can travel to other stars faster than light (relatively speaking). It's the same as spotting and accurately predicting electricity.

5 years or less we'll start working with these things.

Gravitational waves unlike electromagnetic waves, travel through everything. Imagine if we harness them for communication. No need for satellites.
I wonder what sort of harness you can put on something that travels through everything.

A lot of assumptions on the practical uses of this - as the mass/ density of an object needed to actually cause these waves need to be huge; really huge; Neutron Star and Black Hole huge. The biggest thing we can take from this (assuming findings were not a result of of anything going on on earth) is that the "fabric" of spacetime is apparently consistent with what has been theorized.

No idea how people think we are going to harness this.

I'm curious how physicists are going to define this in terms compared to the effects of bow shocks.

Ok so space is like an ocean; got it...now how do we fix your eye sir?

Looks like gravity is already pulling one eye away from the other. Now, this brings us to many theories abound regarding localized ocular gravitational pulling. Either that or the poor guy suffered from a stroke, thus rendering me an asshole haha

It's huge on many levels. Space warp tech we know is possible now. Gravity waves will allow us to read the universe because they aren't really changed. It's one of the holy grails of physics. We can determine exactly mass = gravity, space time curves. Communications, etc. list goes on and on.

Interesting enough I've read a couple things explaining if a high level tech alien species was tryin to communicate to us at relative to us ftl, they'd use gravity waves.

Tldr we now know we can travel to other stars faster than light (relatively speaking). It's the same as spotting and accurately predicting electricity.

Adding on this, Gravity waves means one thing that will pop up so is a Gaser.

Focused gravity waves. Tractor beams, communication devices traveling faster than relative light etc. we now know it's possible

Enjoy you nerds

I dont think most people realize that this only proves something that was pretty much common sense (it just wasnt "scientifically" proven until today) and I consider myself in that first group. Or in other case something that you dont understand, dont care and doesnt have any use for you, as most people are probably in that second group.
I don't know if it was common sense before Einstein proposed it, but yeah, it's another one of those "Oh look, the math lined up with empirical evidence, we're so smart" moments.

Interesting nonetheless.

A lot of assumptions on the practical uses of this - as the mass/ density of an object needed to actually cause these waves need to be huge; really huge; Neutron Star and Black Hole huge. The biggest thing we can take from this (assuming findings were not a result of of anything going on on earth) is that the "fabric" of spacetime is apparently consistent with what has been theorized.

No idea how people think we are going to harness this.

I'm curious how physicists are going to define this in terms compared to the effects of bow shocks.

To be fair they are not horrible assumptions, as many credible people and institutions are, and have been taking a swing at these ideas for a long time in some instances.

Guess we will have to see what plays out.

Any idea's, on Higgs Field and Gravitational waves relating to space/time tech, or relation to bow shocks?
Its fun to speculate.

I don't see how this changes things. General relativity and it's predictions (like gravity waves) have been universally accepted since the 1920s. I highly doubt there are scientist or engineers out there who will be "newly" inspired by this additional proof.

Now if we had proved that gravitational waves DIDN'T exist, that would take science in a new direction and open the door to new possibilities.

To be fair they are not horrible assumptions, as many credible people and institutions are, and have been taking a swing at these ideas for a long time in some instances.

Guess we will have to see what plays out.

Any idea's, on Higgs Field and Gravitational waves relating to space/time tech, or relation to bow shocks?
Its fun to speculate.

Assuming gravitational waves move in the same manner as a massless photon, it wouldn't have much implication on the higgs field. So we could theorize a gravitron (if existent) could have particle / wave duality, but not why its related differently to mass / density. Its observational properties would act very different than light

On future tech, this discovery is pretty useless unless you find the whatever particle interaction gravity has (if any). Or we harness mass density without destroying the planet.

I just read the other day that our galaxy and thousands of other galaxies are right now being pulled toward something they call "the great attractor" at over a million miles per hour.

If learning how gravitational waves work helps us to stop that shit, then cool.

I don't see how this changes things. General relativity and it's predictions (like gravity waves) have been universally accepted since the 1920s. I highly doubt there are scientist or engineers out there who will be "newly" inspired by this additional proof.

Now if we had proved that gravitational waves DIDN'T exist, that would take science in a new direction and open the door to new possibilities.

this.

if anything, physicist have more to work with from EPR experiments within entanglement theory than they have from detecting gravitational waves.

all this does is tells einstein ghost that waves can be detected and nanner nanner - blackholes exist...and we knew both already.

Last edited:
Back