Gravitational waves detected

I may be the the dumbest person on sherdog to study physics but I honestly thought that the gravitometers that were place on the moon in the 60s had already detected gravity waves. They were very simple device that you could make at home.

Look at the affected modesty and humility on this motherfucker. It's not like we don't know where you did your studies, even if you are just an optics guy or whatever.

Just no. No, no no goddamnit no. This other guy is talking out his ass.

Here's an actual physics prof explaining it really easily. It's about the mirrors being warped by gravity. Not the light beam. That's why they had to build 2 of these things partially and why the ligo labs are miles long.

Yeah, you need to put me on ignore if that's too much heat for you to handle, kiddo.

Gabriela Gonzales is NOT saying the mirrors are warped, she's saying the distance BETWEEN the mirrors changes, which is exactly what my analogy was about.

All of this depends, including the premise of the LIGO experiment, on the speed of light being constant in all inertial frames of reference (which is why you can't have FTL).

Try watching some videos on youtube or read wikipedia related to wave mechanics/physics. The surf board analogy I provided is as simple as it gets. Doughbelly's still pond dropping a rock model is an example of circular waves propagating in 2*PI radians from a single point.

My example was more to illustrate the point about the medium in which waves propagate (in this case spacetime) and how two straight lines at different angles to the wave generation experiences those waves differently. You can actually play a lot of little "okay, in this case, the waves are X and the string is Y" but like all analogies, they break down eventually.

Look at the affected modesty and humility on this motherfucker. It's not like we don't know where you did your studies, even if you are just an optics guy or whatever.

radiation physics and inverse problems

shrugging-shoulders.gif

MRIs, ultrasound, what's the difference?

Don't know if its been posted but came across this and thought some of you would like to listen. Its Neil deGrasse Tyson discussing the discovery of Einstein's gravitational waves.

Back