Gravitational waves detected

Assuming gravitational waves move in the same manner as a massless photon, it wouldn't have much implication on the higgs field. So we could theorize a gravitron (if existent) could have particle / wave duality, but not why its related differently to mass / density. Its observational properties would act very different than light

On future tech, this discovery is pretty useless unless you find the whatever particle interaction gravity has (if any). Or we harness mass density without destroying the planet.

Yes, but the natural assumption is that interaction/connection must take place on some level. Especially if we are trying to map 11 dimensions. Intuitively, this makes the most sense, yes?

Also, curious to see, the effect on our understanding on the causal effects of the big bang and event horizons and the like.

I just read the other day that our galaxy and thousands of other galaxies are right now being pulled toward something they call "the great attractor" at over a million miles per hour.

If learning how gravitational waves work helps us to stop that shit, then cool.

Sorry, cant resist. (get it:p)

o0480064010880488142_large_medium.jpg

Yes, but the natural assumption is that interaction/connection must take place on some level. Especially if we are trying to map 11 dimensions. Intuitively, this makes the most sense, yes?

Also, curious to see, the effect on our understanding on the causal effects of the big bang and event horizons and the like.

Not even sure how you are relating gravitational wave detection to M-Theory - you may need to elaborate on your thinking there.

casual effects of event horizons; not sure how you would even detect that using LIGO. If anything it could determine density fluctuations in singularities but the technology seems a long, long way off from that.

Ok, so if there was a giant tube that ran through the center of the entire earth, and you dropped a baseball down into it, would the ball eventually just hover around the Earth's center?

Without googling it, what do you guys think?

Ok, so if there was a giant tube that ran through the center of the entire earth, and you dropped a baseball down into it, would the ball eventually just hover around the Earth's center?

assuming uniform density, you would be weightless. Or, rather - you would equal force or zero force all around you.

Last edited:
I don't see how this changes things. General relativity and it's predictions (like gravity waves) have been universally accepted since the 1920s. I highly doubt there are scientist or engineers out there who will be "newly" inspired by this additional proof.

Now if we had proved that gravitational waves DIDN'T exist, that would take science in a new direction and open the door to new possibilities.

Here's how technology usually works

Hypothesis
Math theory used to prove
Direct observations
Funding to use phenomenon

Not only that we've got readings on it. We can now examine readings. How much mass = wave size etc. we'll get more and more accurate on our readings now we have a start. We'll be picking up smaller and smaller gravity waves mapping out the universe. It will be like sonar. We'll look at gravity waves from solar systems seeing exactly what is where. It's just the start. We didn't even know the waves were real, now we do and billon of dollars will be poured into examining them. It's like nuclear power and trinity. Once they proved it worked everyone began dumping billions into it.

That's why it's huge. It's a turning point. Gravity waves are no longer a theory, they are real. I can't make it much simpler on why that's such a huge deal.

Not even sure how you are relating gravitational wave detection to M-Theory - you may need to elaborate on your thinking there.

casual effects of event horizons; not sure how you would even detect that using LIGO. If anything it could determine density fluctuations in singularities but the technology seems a long, long way off from that.

Well maybe not "especially" 11 dimensions as a lone theory, but, for clarity, I'm thinking from the place of how we understand, dark matter, dark energy, multiverse, and multi-dimension, universe inception, and a TOE, and how we can practically use this knowledge. (assuming a TOE can be equated, or even is) How is this discovery (or confirmation) not going to rustle every jimmie in every hall of academia, lab, etc.... I mean, I know its going to just be the news bomb of the day for the most part, but this will have profound changes where it matters most; the people on the edge of the science. I just (and this is a big admission) "feel" that political and technological advancements will abound from this. I'm not in a position to scour the world seeking evidence to support an augment.

For further clarity, my knowledge of physics, and this conversation, can be best understood as a man trying to spread a glob of butter on an infinite loaf of bread.

Even Neil Degrasse Tyson has a hell of a time explaining these ideas, let alone grasping them. We will see what history has to say about this. Feel free to bump this thread in 50 years for shaming.;)

Adding on this, Gravity waves means one thing that will pop up so is a Gaser.

Focused gravity waves. Tractor beams, communication devices traveling faster than relative light etc. we now know it's possible

Enjoy you nerds

Sir mind your homophobic laser

The Earth is a flat disk. So it falls through and lands on the turtles.

Well maybe not "especially" 11 dimensions as a lone theory, but, for clarity, I'm thinking from the place of how we understand, dark matter, dark energy, multiverse, and multi-dimension, universe inception, and a TOE, and how we can practically use this knowledge. (assuming a TOE can be equated, or even is) How is this discovery (or confirmation) not going to rustle every jimmie in every hall of academia, lab, etc.... I mean, I know its going to just be the news bomb of the day for the most part, but this will have profound changes where it matters most; the people on the edge of the science. I just (and this is a big admission) "feel" that political and technological advancements will abound from this. I'm not in a position to scour the world seeking evidence to support an augment.

For further clarity, my knowledge of physics, and this conversation, can be best understood as a man trying to spread a glob of butter on an infinite loaf of bread.

Even Neil Degrasse Tyson has a hell of a time explaining these ideas, let alone grasping them. We will see what history has to say about this. Feel free to bump this thread in 50 years for shaming.;)

its impressive that we can develop methodology to detect them but i am not clear how people think this will fundamentally change politics and technology - thats more dependent on determining just what gravity is / how do unify it with the 3 other forces.

well, we are able to detect weather patterns, and temperature - are we any closer to harnessing it or manipulating it?

we can detect earthquakes, can we harness how tectonic plates move?

understanding how gravitational waves work could lead us to understand how dark energy and dark matter works. which would be huge. lead to even break throughs in tech. time machines here we come.

its impressive that we can develop methodology to detect them but i am not clear how people think this will fundamentally change politics and technology - thats more dependent on determining just what gravity is / how do unify it with the 3 other forces.

well, we are able to detect weather patterns, and temperature - are we any closer to harnessing it or manipulating it?

we can detect earthquakes, can we harness how tectonic plates move?

Why you gotta be like that?!:oops:
balloon-pop-for-wii-o.gif

I'm exited to see how we "are" going to unify it with the three other forces. That's where I'm coming from. I think this is a big step in that direction. Time will tell. (pun)

And just as a friendly parting jab. As far as weather, temp, earthquakes and tectonic plates, perhaps this confirmation is a part of our eventual ability to effect such processes on a root level. Who is to say at this point. Wild speculation yes, but just saying.

understanding how gravitational waves work could lead us to understand how dark energy and dark matter works. which would be huge. lead to even break throughs in tech. time machines here we come.

As long as we send the guy in your avatar as our inter-time/reality ambassador, we should have a bright future (or is that past?)

Why you gotta be like that?!:oops:
balloon-pop-for-wii-o.gif

I'm exited to see how we "are" going to unify it with the three other forces. That's where I'm coming from. I think this is a big step in that direction. Time will tell. (pun)

And just as a friendly parting jab. As far as weather, temp, earthquakes and tectonic plates, perhaps this confirmation is a part of our eventual ability to effect such processes on a root level. Who is to say at this point. Wild speculation yes, but just saying.

I totally get what you are saying and its exciting for sure; just maybe not on the level some in here are hyping it.

if you want to get excited about something a bit more palatable - get on the Taylor Wilson band wagon.

I totally get what you are saying and its exciting for sure; just maybe not on the level some in here are hyping it.

if you want to get excited about something a bit more palatable - get on the Taylor Wilson band wagon.

That was great! Thank you.

It's probably going to win a Nobel Prize. I put this ahead of gravitational lensing as a significant observation. No time machines incoming of course.

Back