Gracie Barra vs Gracie Academy

Tha_MMAn**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gracie Barra seems like they have some good academies out there and are doing well in competition. How does their style of BJJ differ from Gracie Academy's BJJ? Who has the better academies in your opinion?

Gracie Academy is much much smaller. I train at Barra BUT it all depends on what you're looking for.

If you want more sport-geared JJ then Barra is the ticket. If you want something thats more self-defense geared then academy might be the way to go.

Also, keep in mind that a beginner level there is little to no difference.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Rorion Gracie but thats exclusively from what I've read.

what the man said right there. It also has a kittle to do with who is the teacher, if it is between a world class gracie barra instructor and rorion, I would probably go with the world class instructor. But not all gracie barra black belts are world beaters.. if the GB is not top of the food chain, I would go with rorion

Or you could train with Brasa but they're a bunch of wankers...j/k

Sounds good... I wish I could find a GB where I live. We only have Gracie Academies.

the two schools have different intentions. gracie barra schools tend to concentrate on sport jiu-jitsu, whereas the gracie academy focuses on gjj as a self defense art

You have some choices of where to train. BJ Penn's school is in Hawaii...

^^^sorry didn't mean to sound like a dick. it's almost 4:30 in the morning here,i have a midterm later today and i'm here messing around on sherdog

It depends, do you want to learn gracie jiujitsu from a gracie? or do you want to learn bjj from an instructor that may or may not have ever even met a gracie? the gracie academy is not about self defense, the core intent is to make the student the best streetfighter they can be. When you go to the academy you will see gracies teaching, guys like ralek gracie who is a professional fighter and has fought in PRIDE. my view is that if i want to learn gracie jiujitsu why not learn it from the gracies instead of a school that is deemed an "associate" school.

I train at a Gracie Barra affiliate and I must admit I like it a lot! In a weird round-about sort of way I feel like part of a bigger team....even though Im not really on the same team as other schools it feels that way.

To answer the TS's question...

GB's are mostly affiliates or official schools they are all going to be taught differently and according to whoever is running them. Most legit brown/black belts are become a GB school....so u have tons of different guys and different pesonalities teaching class.

It makes a comparison impossible!

Gracie Academy teaches original , self-defense oriented Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It is pretty much as old school and real life oriented as pure jiu jitsu can be.

Gracie Barra is a very good sport jiu jitsu gym.

You will see a big difference in what you will learn in the beginning. At GA you will probably begin with lessons on basic takedowns, basic submissions, things you can and will use in real life.

For sports BJJ you will probably start by learning also some basic things but more to be used in sport BJJ.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Gracie Academy is weak in sports BJJ, Rorion, Ralek, Ryron, Rener, have worn a gi and rolled their whole lives. They are very, good.

I agree 100%..ryron and renner and more committed to teaching right now, but both have won titles at different levels and would excel up against anyone..sport jiujitsu has its place, don't get me wrong..but if you aren't planning on competing and would like the confindence of knowing you can protect yourself and family if needed..go to the gracie academy...

Back