Gracie Barra vs Gracie Academy

Relson is as legit a Gracie as can be. Very very tough guy.

Anyone train at Relson's on Oahu and know if they're cool with people dropping by for like 1 class? Gonna be on Oahu for a few days near Xmas and wanted to train at least a few times while on vacation. Thanks!

I have several friends at Nelson Monteros
I can't speak about the Gracie Academy
but I know Gracie Barra are some quality competitors
and Nelson is a excelllent teacher (obviously heis just one Gracie Barra school)

It depends, do you want to learn gracie jiujitsu from a gracie? or do you want to learn bjj from an instructor that may or may not have ever even met a gracie? the gracie academy is not about self defense, the core intent is to make the student the best streetfighter they can be. When you go to the academy you will see gracies teaching, guys like ralek gracie who is a professional fighter and has fought in PRIDE. my view is that if i want to learn gracie jiujitsu why not learn it from the gracies instead of a school that is deemed an "associate" school.

huh?

relson is definately a great great example of gracie jiujitsu..specifically through helio's lineage..which gracie barra is not..another example of why i believe in the gracie academy is the simple fact that all our armed forces special weapons divisions have rorian, ralek, rener or ryron come train them....what does that tell you? they have trained other armed forces as well (israelli, for one)..go to gracieacademy.com and check it out for yourself..yes i do train there, but i wouldn't train anywhere else..

The thread started stated he is in Hawaii. I assume the island he is on is Oahu and the school he is talking about is Relson's school in Honolulu. I think there is some confusion going on here because people are talking about the Gracie Academy in Torrence.

Anyways I haven't read 1 negative thing about Relson's place and there are a couple people on these forums who train there. From what I read Relson is cool with people dropping in. They might have a drop in fee like most schools or he might not care and let you try a class. He's in Honolulu, I'm sure he gets a bunch of drop ins from tourists.

relson is definately a great great example of gracie jiujitsu..specifically through helio's lineage..which gracie barra is not..another example of why i believe in the gracie academy is the simple fact that all our armed forces special weapons divisions have rorian, ralek, rener or ryron come train them....what does that tell you? they have trained other armed forces as well (israelli, for one)..go to gracieacademy.com and check it out for yourself..yes i do train there, but i wouldn't train anywhere else..

Barra is not of " helio's lineage"? Carlinos was taught by Rolls gracie who was raised by helio.. how are they not "gracie jiu jitsu"? Is renzo not "gracie jiu jitsu"?

my mistake..the second response cited Rorion so i assumed it was about the torrance academy..Either way..If it comes from Helio gracie (relson, rorion, etc..) i would lean that way..

Barra is not of " helio's lineage"? Carlinos was taught by Rolls gracie who was raised by helio.. how are they not "gracie jiu jitsu"? Is renzo not "gracie jiu jitsu"?

they are of carlos gracie's lineage..

do you even know who owned barra at first?

carlos gracie jr. it was founded in barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

my mistake..the second response cited Rorion so i assumed it was about the torrance academy..Either way..If it comes from Helio gracie (relson, rorion, etc..) i would lean that way..

I believe a lot of people thought he was talking about the Torrence school because of the way he worded his post. he later stated he is in hawaii. TS, check the school out, you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain. I believe, if you're in oahu, there are a bunch of schools on that island.

again, nothing wrong with rolls, carlos jr. etc..I am a fan of the gracie academy and feel it is more complete in the gracie training than gracie barra..gracie barra is filled with associated and affiliated schools while the gracie academy is taught by the gracies..i feel its not so watered down..just my oppinion..Gracie Barra school was moved to barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by carlos jr..that is where they got the name Barra...had Rolls not died gracie barra would not exist? Carlos jr. would have done it anyway i think..

carlos gracie jr, Kayron graice.... are they not gracies?

renzo gracie? Rolles Gracie? Gregor Gracie?

yes, but the origional thread was which is better school, gracie academy or gracie barra? I mistakenly thought they were referring to the gracie academy in Torrance and responded..the bottom line is that at 99 percent of the gracie barra schools a gracie is not teaching, while at the gracie acadamy it is all under the eye of Rorion and primarily taught by his sons ryron, rener, and ralek. I like to get my gracie jiujitsu training taught to me by a gracie..thats all..just my opinion..if gracie barra works for you and fulfills your needs than that is good..

Back