Gracie Barra vs Gracie Academy

I have heard that a lot from both sides but what does it really mean? Does anyone know the real difference in the philosophy?

One believes that Jiu-Jitsu is for self defense and the other concentrates more on the sport aspect of BJJ.

I can't believe this thread is still going. LOL!

If you read my original posts, I wasn't asking if one school in Torrence was better than a chain of schools. In fact, I wasn't even talking about schools in Cali. I was asking about general differences between GB's and Gracie academy's teaching styles. I was just trying to find a good BJJ school in Hawaii to train at.

PS- I already found a place to train. Thank guys.

Last edited:

If you read my original posts, I wasn't asking if one school in Torrence was better than a chain of schools. In fact, I wasn't even talking about schools in Cali. I was asking about general differences between GB's and Gracie academy's teaching styles. I was trying to find good BJJ school in Hawaii to train at.

It depends on what you want out of BJJ......that will be the factor in deciding. When I get a prospective student I always ask them what is their goal. Do they want to compete all the time? Do they want to learn to protect themselves or do they just want to do something that help them lose weight? If I can't provide them what they are looking for I recommend them to another school and wish them luck.

Last edited:
It depends on what you want out of BJJ......that will be the factor in deciding. When I get a prospective student I always ask them what is their goal. Do they want to compete all the time? Do they want to learn to protect themselves or do they just want to do something that help them lose weight? If I can't provide them what they are looking for I recommend them to another school and wish them luck.
Sounds good. Maybe I'll stop by if I'm ever in Cali. :icon_chee

If you read my original posts, I wasn't asking if one school in Torrence was better than a chain of schools. In fact, I wasn't even talking about schools in Cali. I was asking about general differences between GB's and Gracie academy's teaching styles. I was just trying to find a good BJJ school in Hawaii to train at.

PS- I already found a place to train. Thank guys.

where do you train at now in Hawaii?

first off, if you're in hawaii you won't be training the torrence system. It will be relson's system.

One believes that Jiu-Jitsu is for self defense and the other concentrates more on the sport aspect of BJJ.

I see. Is that why you never see gracie academy represented in the UFC anymore or mma? I also heard that gb guys focus from the top and ga guys like to work from the bottom. What I really was wondering is that at the advance level are therer gb ways of doing things and ga ways of doing techniques? Are some techniques excluded or added because of a particular focus on jiu jitsu?

I see. Is that why you never see gracie academy represented in the UFC anymore or mma? I also heard that gb guys focus from the top and ga guys like to work from the bottom. What I really was wondering is that at the advance level are therer gb ways of doing things and ga ways of doing techniques? Are some techniques excluded or added because of a particular focus on jiu jitsu?

You see some guys who started at Gracie Torrance and went elsewhere fighting in MMA and sub competitions. And its usually Carlson Gracie guys who are painted as the top-focus fighters. GB is so big now that I don't think you can peg it for any specific style/methodology. And Gracie Barra schools teach self-defense. At the advanced, beginner and intermediate levels, its all the same. The movements are the same. The style of teaching may be different but an armbar from the mount, guard, side, open guard,etc.. will all be the same at GB or Torrance. I've seen people say Gracie Torrance doesn't teach "sport-specfic" movements but a dude from Torrance visited our school for a few days and he played open guard, knew butterfly,etc... and Rorian's kids do sport moves in the movies you can watch on Youtube when they competed.

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm gonna put my two cents in regardless. Gracie Jiu Jitsu does have self defense techniques instilled in their curriculum, I've heard from many guys that train there. That's all I will say I know about them because I don't train there, thus I will not say what I don't know. I've been at Gracie Barra for a couple weeks now and have seen and done enough to talk about it's practices. First of all, they DO train you in self defense! My instructor is always coming up with street confrontation scenarios in which you will be heckled by a much larger opponent than yourself. He shows you how to break out of certain situations, as well as how to strike him to the point where he can't attack you anymore. So for all you guys that claim all we do is sport BJJ you obviously have never trained at a GB school. My instructor is a direct student of Master Carlos Gracie Jr., he has won many prestigious competition events such as: Pan Am, Euro Championships, NAGA, Brazilian Championships, World Champions at Abu-Dhabi. He's Carlos Lemos Jr. and teaches at GB Countryside. GB is always well represented in competition, but don't forget we have street fighting skills as well.

And I technically come from a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu style, and we do self defense of course. But I like doing sport and MMA too. BJJ, GJJ, it's all the same thing honestly. Don't worry about the marketing. It doesn't matter what it's called, as long as you train right.

BJJ is a live art , and constantly evolving ..so the Gracie Academy is wrong

BJJ is more than just franchises and grappling tournaments .. So Gracie Barra is also wrong

BJJ is a live art , and constantly evolving ..so the Gracie Academy is wrong

BJJ is more than just franchises and grappling tournaments .. So Gracie Barra is also wrong

No sir, your wrong. Like I stated before, GB concentrates on self defense as well as sport BJJ. Please read 2 replies above this one. It took quite some time for me to write. Thank you.

I think everyone is looking at this wrong. First of all, all the gracies, bjj, gracie jiujitsu practitioners, gracie barra guys and all of the mma bjj cross training camps, basically anyone and thats anyone thats been in the game a while is a badass, period. Yes, the teaching style is different, with gracie jiujitsu you are learning a different way, with gracie barra and bjj you hit the mats and try to hang. Either way you are going to learn plenty of techniques and anyone that grapples at full speed will tell you no one knows all the techniques all the time its impossible to remember at full speed. Nothing is perfect. If it was then royce gracie wouldn't have gotten his tail pounded by matt hughes. But royce is still a badass. If you really won't the bible just read renzo gracies book master jiujitsu, that book speaks the truth. As far as self defence goes, if you don't think all gracie and bjj and barra guys know self defence then go grab or hit one of them and see what happens, an a@@ whupin. I trained with marcio simas for years and loved it and learned. Some of the top guys there were incredible, unbeatable and I'm sure the top guys from rorions, royce camps are the same. Its like with kungfu some styles teach internal first and then external, some go right into external and then internal, in the end everyone knows kungfu. Don't get hung up on this b.s. find a school and start training, if most people there can tap you out then you have a lot to learn. When you can tap everyone there then find another school. I asked one of the best guys I've ever seen on the mat what the secret was and he said its mat time, period. Its like anything in life you do from learning not from arguing about it online. I've always said prove it at full speed on the mat or shutup. The gracies are kings, the gracie barra camps are incredible, mario sperry is a superstar, there is no right or wrong, just shut up and train.

Back