Gracie Barra vs Gracie Academy

yes, but the origional thread was which is better school, gracie academy or gracie barra? I mistakenly thought they were referring to the gracie academy in Torrance and responded..the bottom line is that at 99 percent of the gracie barra schools a gracie is not teaching, while at the gracie acadamy it is all under the eye of Rorion and primarily taught by his sons ryron, rener, and ralek. I like to get my gracie jiujitsu training taught to me by a gracie..thats all..just my opinion..if gracie barra works for you and fulfills your needs than that is good..

first of all torrance has affilates taught by non gracies just like any other associaton. The main academy has gracies teaching there, the Barra main academy has gracies teaching there.

the torrance academy has no "affiliates", they have teachers that are certified to teach the gracie combatives series.. a very structured class teaching the 36 essential moves needed in a streetfight..they do not have affiliate gracie schools..

the torrance academy has no "affiliates", they have teachers that are certified to teach the gracie combatives series.. a very structured class teaching the 36 essential moves needed in a streetfight..they do not have affiliate gracie schools..

btw how long have you been training? because in all honestly, you sound like a person that just started training at torrence or one of their "gracie certified" gyms.

what about the royce gracie affiliate schools?how do those mix in with gracie academy and gracie barra?and are the renzo gracie schools gracie barra schools?

it is not affiliated with the gracie academy..my opinions are my opinions,thats all..I am a complete supporter of Rorion gracie's academy as well as student. like I said before, if you are fulfilled at gracie barra than that is good right? everyone needs to do what works for them...

yea but what i want to know is what is your background that made you come up with your opinions? Opinions that quite frankly sound like you are cutting and pasting it directly from the gracie academy? What is your training background? How long have you been training?

been training there for about 2 years..my 2 boys 8 and 5 also go there..its just a real good fit for us..if you are in so ca. you should come by and check it out..they have an offer for 10 days of training for free..let me know and i can hook you up with the bring a friend for free classes on wed. night or sat. mornings..i'm not doin any cut and paste, i just truly believe..my 5 yr old was gettin bullied by an 8 yr old and ended up taking him down with a double leg take down to side mount to full mount and subdued him until it was broken up..the 8 yr old could not get loose..thats why i go there..for family and myself..

ok, since i asked it's only fair that i tell you my training history. I have been training for about 4 1/2 years. Istarted bjj in a us military base in S. Korea with an army combatives instructor who was a purple belt under rickson gracie. I trained under a Pedro Saur purple belt, a carlson gracie black belt, a roberto tozzi black belt, and ternando terere/ruben charles brown.

Now what you just explained is pretty normal for a kids class. In my experience what your kid did is pretty normal. Thanks for the offer.

normal or not i am very satisfied with what happened, his friends that don't train do not respond that way..i'm glad for your accomplishments, it is nice to know that our military is represented that way. All I can say is I'm happy with the Gracie Academy and I feel a lot of people would agree, its not worth fighting over, It is what it is..opinions..my offer stands if you ever want to check it out..keep triaining..

have you ever trained at an academy outside of the torrance academy? I think that the thing that sorta bothers most people is that you make these broad statements without really knowing other schools...

and it appears that only you are letting it really bother you, and it shouldn't..its just opinions..let it go..i'm done posting cause this is useless..

I think some of you guys are a little confused on Gjj/Bjj. Gracie jiu jitsu is the very structured self defense curriculum as was taught by helio. Nothing more and nothing less. If your teachers are not Directly students of helio or one of his boys (specifically royler, rickson, and rorion) then you are not learning Gracie jiu jitsu. Plain and simple. That's coming from Helios own words a few years back at a seminar.
And it's possible for a direct decendent of helio to NOT do the gjj self defense as well. I repeat, Gjj is JUST the self defense portion. This is an easy way to distinguish the names.

I think some of you guys are a little confused on Gjj/Bjj. Gracie jiu jitsu is the very structured self defense curriculum as was taught by helio. Nothing more and nothing less. If your teachers are not Directly students of helio or one of his boys (specifically royler, rickson, and rorion) then you are not learning Gracie jiu jitsu. Plain and simple. That's coming from Helios own words a few years back at a seminar.
And it's possible for a direct decendent of helio to NOT do the gjj self defense as well. I repeat, Gjj is JUST the self defense portion. This is an easy way to distinguish the names.

yeah, but I'm pretty sure rorion trademarked the name so he calls GJJ everything they teach at the Gracie academy in torrence... though I could be wrong.

Yeah I think that is true. Although I heard a story (no source, sorry) that due to current copyright laws, once a name becomes an actual word used to describe something, it can no longer be copyrighted unless it's in violation of a business trademark. In fact that might have been on the GA website lol.
Apparently though, since GJJ is used to describe the martial art in general, it cannot be a copyright violation unless someone was advertising" Gracie jiu jitsu academy" or something like that.

triangle is right ,rorion trademarked the name and i believe the following ufc rickson and royler were not front and center in the corner!i've trained both places.started in cali and ended up at gracie barra boston(same school florians got there belts from)and we were/are more competition orientated than the academy version.

Yeah I think that is true. Although I heard a story (no source, sorry) that due to current copyright laws, once a name becomes an actual word used to describe something, it can no longer be copyrighted unless it's in violation of a business trademark. In fact that might have been on the GA website lol.
Apparently though, since GJJ is used to describe the martial art in general, it cannot be a copyright violation unless someone was advertising" Gracie jiu jitsu academy" or something like that.

He sued Carley Gracie over it and was awarded something like $600,000. Rorion does indeed have a trademark.

Back