Economy Gov't employees told to host garage sales, babysit to deal with shutdown

You mean if you overpaid throughout the year (why?) or your’e someone who qualifies for EITC (handout).

Edit- You can also get a refund by switching jobs and overpaying SS, I forgot about this. Happened to me.

I get a refund from student loan interest payment. Even the most itemized tax submissions can have a return if you take enough deductions. Maybe not with the new tax bill (state tax deductions being a big fucking hole) but you used to be able to.

Can you, or anybody else, explain this to me. This doesn't seem very Constitutional that you can forced to work without pay. Seems like we abolished something like a while back.
edit:
a better explanation:
Some agencies, and thus the employees working in them, are “exempt” from a shutdown because they do not get their funding through the congressional appropriations process. The largest of these is the U.S. Postal Service, which operates on income from postage and the items it sells. Other agencies, or parts of them, also have funding not subject to annual appropriations – for example, through fees they charge for their services, or from trust funds or multi-year budgets. Employees whose salaries are funded in that way would continue working, and getting paid, as normal.

For employees whose salaries are paid from appropriations, there is another distinction: “excepted” vs. “non-excepted” (not “essential” vs. “non-essential,” which are the more commonly used, but not official, terms).

Excepted employees are those whose jobs involve the safety of human life, the protection of property, or certain other types of work designated by their agencies as necessary to continue. These are not necessarily the same as “emergency” employees who are expected to continue coming to work when agencies close for other reasons, such as for severe weather.

Excepted employees are to continue reporting for work as normal during a shutdown, though for the meantime they would not be paid for that time. Because agencies are required to pay for services performed, those employees are guaranteed to be paid after Congress passes – and the president signs – a new appropriation or continuing resolution. Exactly when they would be paid would depend on the timing of the new spending authority and the payroll cycle the agency uses.

When a shutdown starts, employees who are neither “exempt” nor “excepted” are put on unpaid furlough. They are to perform what guidance calls “minimal activities as necessary to execute an orderly suspension of agency operations related to non-excepted activities.” That typically is to last about a half-day on their first scheduled workday after a shutdown begins. They then are to leave the workplace and they are not to work while on furlough, even on a volunteer basis.

Last edited:
Also, that Furlough Help Sheet should have come with a diagram:

5b6b3f1f2000002d00349e9d.jpeg

They arent as essential as they think they are.

This is a very ignorant statement.

But I'll ask anyway . . . this statement is based on what? The fact that the world keeps spinning with them being furloughed?

It's been 3 weeks . . . over the holidays when many folks were on leave for a couple of weeks anyway.

This is why you should always have at least 6 months salary saved. These poor people only have themselves to blame.

Essential to who, though? As @Falsedawn said, if my boss tossed me out like this, I'm not needed to "the people that matter"

Do you not understand how this works?

Folks are furloughed based on the funding source for their salary. Furloughing someone doesn't deem then "non-essential" or no longer needed.

Do you not understand how this works?

Folks are furloughed based on the funding source for their salary. Furloughing someone doesn't deem then "non-essential" or no longer needed.
Keep reading and you will understand

I'm sure the coast guard will be supplying no small amount of stuff being sold to supplement lost income.

Pissed off staff and a skeleton crew is not a great combo.

All I'm saying is, make sure you know where your loyalties lie. Because if the president is willing to put you through this, where do his loyalties lie?

The same as every other president who has "shutdown the government" over a budget . . . Clinton did it over Medicare funding. Obama did it over the ACA.

just one reason the Coast Guard should be DoD, and not DHS (Dept of Transportation, and Dept of Treasury before that)

as the budget sequestrian has different cutoffs for Defense and non Defense, I don't think they'd be effected at all if they were DoD

Why’s there a shutdown if the Mexicans are paying for the wall?

I have a friend who is USCG and he's not getting paid. He has to continue working and get a second job so he can pay his bills. It's absolutely bullshit. These are people who save lives and they are being used as political pawns so the big cry baby in chief can get his wall.

Sorry to hear about your friend, the whole situation is just fucking awful and completely preventable.

just one reason the Coast Guard should be DoD, and not DHS (Dept of Transportation, and Dept of Treasury before that)

as the budget sequestrian has different cutoffs for Defense and non Defense, I don't think they'd be effected at all if they were DoD

I work for an HHS agency that is funded via the DOI. Very frustrating. USPHS Officers are exempt and will likely have our Feb 1 paycheck delayed. 24 years of this crap is just about enough for me.

I'm ready to retire.

Tfw slavery was legitimately better than this, at least you didn't have to get a second job to eat.

Why’s there a shutdown if the Mexicans are paying for the wall?

This was funny the first 100 times someone said it . . .

Back