Economy Gov't employees told to host garage sales, babysit to deal with shutdown

So as the breadwinner, find "work" as if you were a 14 year old girl trying to make money to go to the movies with her friends on the weekend (but can't quite afford the popcorn).

Totally worth it for the wall! Great job guys!

Whats so controversial regarding what the Coast Guard did?

Their employees need help finding income as the shutdown continues. So, they gave their employees advice on how to do that.
It highlights the absurdity. Asking someone in the coast guard who has to work and not get paid to babysit? Come on.

I think some are getting confused
Essential/Non Essential are actual gov classifications regarding a specific position

I'm essential, for instance, and have worked through 3 gov shutdowns while still being paid (I do not get furloughed).

Last time this happened, our furloughed employees got backpay

It highlights the absurdity. Asking someone in the coast guard who has to work and not get paid to babysit? Come on.

Agreed which is why I would never work in the public sector they can fuck off. If everyone who worked in that sector said that to them right now and found another job I guarantee you they would make changes to stop this from happening again. They get paid though so they don't care.

So as the breadwinner, find "work" as if you were a 14 year old girl trying to make money to go to the movies with her friends on the weekend (but can't quite afford the popcorn).

Totally worth it for the wall! Great job guys!

I have a friend who is USCG and he's not getting paid. He has to continue working and get a second job so he can pay his bills. It's absolutely bullshit. These are people who save lives and they are being used as political pawns so the big cry baby in chief can get his wall.

I would suggest trying to claim unemployment or some other benefits, but I doubt you're allowed to do that since you havent been fired. You're just supposed to work for free. Sounds like slavery

Agreed which is why I would never work in the public sector they can fuck off. If everyone who worked in that sector said that to them right now and found another job I guarantee you they would make changes to stop this from happening again. They get paid though so they don't care.

This shutdown thing is maybe the most American thing there is. Over here, the main reason to work for the state is total job security.

I would suggest trying to claim unemployment or some other benefits, but I doubt you're allowed to do that since you havent been fired. You're just supposed to work for free. Sounds like slavery

Well slavers usually provided food and shelter I guess

When you're allowed to be paid again, you'll then have the privilege of telling your leaders thank you for letting you have a home and some food <45> holy shit

Essential to who, though? As @Falsedawn said, if my boss tossed me out like this, I'm not needed to "the people that matter"

in the sense that no one is essential i guess. ending all airlines might not be a good idea though. and ending border control. and national parks. and legal immigration

not vote for people who want to shit down the government? that was tough.

Well since both parties are more concerned with winning political points than actually governing neither of these statements is true. The job of elected officials is to run the country and represent their constituents to the best of their ability. It shouldn't need to be said that compromise is required. No one has ever won an election with 100% of the vote, but they have to represent 100% of their constituents. Anyone who has worked in a group or team should know you don't always get to do it your way. smh.

Well since both parties are more concerned with winning political points than actually governing neither of these statements is true. The job of elected officials is to run the country and represent their constituents to the best of their ability. It shouldn't need to be said that compromise is required. No one has ever won an election with 100% of the vote, but they have to represent 100% of their constituents. Anyone who has worked in a group or team should know you don't always get to do it your way. smh.

there was a compromise to keep the government open. There was a compromise to build the wall. it sure seems like there is 1 person who is the problem.

If you file taxes, you probably think some of those "non essential" employees are pretty essential. That is, if you get a return.

You mean if you overpaid throughout the year (why?) or your’e someone who qualifies for EITC (handout).

Edit- You can also get a refund by switching jobs and overpaying SS, I forgot about this. Happened to me.

Last edited:
I got a similar thing in my email at work. Since I'm an essential employee, I can't seek outside work. I am forced to work this job, for no pay.

Can you, or anybody else, explain this to me. This doesn't seem very Constitutional that you can forced to work without pay. Seems like we abolished something like a while back.

Its always good to have a 6 month emergency fund. Especially with a family.

Back