Economy Gov't employees told to host garage sales, babysit to deal with shutdown

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Employees of the U.S. Coast Guard who are facing a long U.S. government shutdown just received a suggestion: To get by without pay, consider holding a garage sale, babysitting, dog-walking or serving as a “mystery shopper.”

This really shows the impact of the shutdown in the U.S. and I really feel for all posters waiting for their paychecks.

The Coast Guard is trying to give some helpful tips, but this is still pretty wild. The sheet was removed from the website after the WaPo asked about it, but it's still online:

I got a similar thing in my email at work. Since I'm an essential employee, I can't seek outside work. I am forced to work this job, for no pay.

How does salary usually work for you? I usually get my pay transferred to my bank account once at the end of the month. So in other words, the real impact would come only at the end of January. Is that the case here too?

And also, will people get paid for the time they could not work once the shutdown is over?

How does salary usually work for you? I usually get my pay transferred to my bank account once at the end of the month. So in other words, the real impact would come only at the end of January. Is that the case here's too?
For my agency, I get paid every 2 weeks. So my last paycheck was New Year's Eve. Luckily, some smart people in the agency had the forethought to have all time cards approved and entered before the shutdown, or I wouldn't have gotten that check. I just logged into my online pay system and saw my pay for the next payday, 01/15, will be $0.00. So at the earliest, my next check will be 01/29.

Unfortunately for me, this month is when car tax is due, car insurance renews, Christmas bills come in, and i had to fill my oil tanks for oil heat. Those are extra costs, aside from normal bills, which are over $2500. So getting paid would definitely be helpful!

How does salary usually work for you? I usually get my pay transferred to my bank account once at the end of the month. So in other words, the real impact would come only at the end of January. Is that the case here too?

And also, will people get paid for the time they could not work once the shutdown is over?

Paid bi-weekly. Most likely reimbursed when the shutdown ends (at least that is how it was when I was a Fed). The reimbursement is dependent on Congress if I recall.

Whats so controversial regarding what the Coast Guard did?

Their employees need help finding income as the shutdown continues. So, they gave their employees advice on how to do that.

Yeah, I'm glad Im not in the government anymore. As it is we're feeling it: most of our federal cases are going to be delayed or already have been, and some of our clients who rely on the federal government (tax returns, contractors, and similar stuff) are feeling the pinch. We already are getting calls asking for solutions.

But the illegals and drugs!!!

Hold on, let me furlough the Coast guard!

<TheDonald>

Tons of citizens have to get by doing that. Why wouldnt these guys? Are they foolish enough to believe their government will rescue them?

Yea, doing the stuff I used to do in middle school to earn some money to buy video games is definitely going pay for car payments and rent. And I'm sure a lot of other employers will want to hire me knowing that I will have to quit with zero notice when the government opens back up.

I got a similar thing in my email at work. Since I'm an essential employee, I can't seek outside work. I am forced to work this job, for no pay.

Same

Yea, doing the stuff I used to do in middle school to earn some money to buy video games is definitely going pay for car payments and rent. And I'm sure a lot of other employers will want to hire me knowing that I will have to quit with zero notice when the government opens back up.
I would hire someone who was crafty enough to survive when the government tossed me out like a piece of shit. No questions asked. Those are the people I want to do business with.

I would hire someone who was crafty enough to survive when the government tossed me out like a piece of shit. No questions asked. Those are the people I want to do business with.

You would hire someone who survived after you got fired?

{<huh}

Last edited:
Tons of citizens have to get by doing that. Why wouldnt these guys? Are they foolish enough to believe their government will rescue them?

If my boss told me "I'm witholding your paycheck. But fear not! You can bargain and declare bankruptcy until we decide to pay you again" i'd be pretty heated. Talk about tone deafness.

If my boss told me "I'm witholding your paycheck. But fear not! You can bargain and declare bankruptcy until we decide to pay you again" i'd be pretty heated. Talk about tone deafness.
Until my paycheck shows up, It will not been easy for me, it has not been easy for me. And you know I started off in Brooklyn, but I will be fine because my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars.

But the illegals and drugs!!!

Hold on, let me furlough the Coast guard!

<TheDonald>

If Tony Montana was still alive he'd be pushing them drugs hard up the Gulf of Mexico right the fuck now!!! lol

Not only would I be heated. I'd be looking for a new job to make sure that can never happen to me again.

Back