Economy Gov't employees told to host garage sales, babysit to deal with shutdown

"In order to stop people from shithole countries flooding American borders, I'm going to make America the biggest, baddest shithole country."
-Donald J. Trump
<TheDonald>

When a shutdown starts, employees who are neither “exempt” nor “excepted” are put on unpaid furlough. They are to perform what guidance calls “minimal activities as necessary to execute an orderly suspension of agency operations related to non-excepted activities.” That typically is to last about a half-day on their first scheduled workday after a shutdown begins. They then are to leave the workplace and they are not to work while on furlough, even on a volunteer basis.

That last sentence, does it mean they can't take other jobs at a private company?

I work for an HHS agency that is funded via the DOI. Very frustrating. USPHS Officers are exempt and will likely have our Feb 1 paycheck delayed. 24 years of this crap is just about enough for me.

I'm ready to retire.
do you work for a Native Health Services or something?

just curious w/ Dept of Interior

That last sentence, does it mean they can't take other jobs at a private company?
AFAIK, that means you can't work at your assigned place, even volunteering (probably related to Workman's Comp tbh)
not that you can't work somewhere else

Main reason being people are normally allowed to have second/side jobs while employed, so why wouldn't they maintain that if furloughed?

I work for an HHS agency that is funded via the DOI. Very frustrating. USPHS Officers are exempt and will likely have our Feb 1 paycheck delayed. 24 years of this crap is just about enough for me.

I'm ready to retire.
Just to be clear - I'm not saying you arent essential (to me and other citizens)

But it appears that your leaders dont seem to think you are essential and are willing to put you through hard times just to further divide us.

Wed be wise to stop letting them divide us.

It stopped being funny when millions of Americans believed it.

Maybe. I believe many people saw it as recovering costs through other means . . . .

Maybe. I believe many people saw it as recovering costs through other means . . . .
in the same way that "lock her up" was metaphorical or healthcare was gonna be " so easy".

in the same way that "lock her up" was metaphorical or healthcare was gonna be " so easy".

Maybe to some folks . . . beats me though.

Is it completely impossible to have taken it that way? I mean, knowing how the government works and all?

if you hate america you are free to leave.
My family was growing crops and cultivating the soil of this great nation long before the income tax, passports, eminent domain and every other over regulation of the human experience, and we'll still be here when all such madness passes.

Government is nothing more than an administrative organization. Don't make the mistake of confusing your nation with the government.

My family was growing crops and cultivating the soil of this great nation long before the income tax, passports, eminent domain and every other over regulation of the human experience, and we'll still be here when all such madness passes.

Government is nothing more than an administrative organization. Don't make the mistake of confusing your nation with the government.

{<jordan}

There aren't any words. I bet you have a different opinion when it comes to preserving your property rights.

Can you, or anybody else, explain this to me. This doesn't seem very Constitutional that you can forced to work without pay. Seems like we abolished something like a while back.
Because I'm an "excepted" employee. I have to work, under the impression I will be paid back for time, when congress authorizes. I'm not actually furloughed. The difference is furloughed people (non-excepted) don't have to come to work. I still do because I'm essential and the work I do is essential to life and safety. Replace the word excepted with essential and it makes more sense.

Def: employees who are funded through annual appropriations who are nonetheless excepted from the furlough because they are performing work that, by law, may continue to be performed during a lapse in appropriations.

no one cares about how you had things given to you. If you dont like america you can get out

no one cares about how you had things given to you. If you dont like america you can get out

You're confusing your nation with the government. It's a common mistake. I won't hold it against you.

I deeply love my nation. Governments come and go.

A good portion of the history of Europe is little more than nation's transitioning from one government to the next.

I'm not going anywhere. Farmers will be needed when the madness of the over regulation of the human experience passes in this great nation.

I wonder if the corporations are salivating over this.

“Here’s a way we can have people come into work and not pay them”

This is their Fn dream

I'm not sure whoever made that list knows how carefully parents (well most) screen babysitters. It's not like they can just grabbed a kid off the street and be like I'm your new caregiver, pay me x amount of dollars a week

Trump is shitting on the country over not getting his way. Worse potus of all time!

Back