Golovkin tells Canelo NO to 155lbs catchweight, says it shows no respect to boxing

That is not a very convincing statement. I mean, the only thing that makes game of thrones popular is HBO also. But if you put it on another channel, people would still watch. GGG would do well on Showtime or PBC too. He is very popular by every measure we have available. Selling 150k PPVs and selling out MSG is not quite the tragedy some people made it out to be.

I do not believe that Arthur Abraham is more popular than GGG. Not in the states at least, I don't know about over seas.
there's no convincing to be done. All the guys you mention ,1-4, are megastars in the sport. 5 is not. I think you need a defining fight or opponent to get to where Cotto, Canelo and Pac are.

Golovkin doesn't have the national following like Canelo and Cotto do. He hasn't broken through to the casuals like Pac did.

Golovkin has a long way to go before he can be mentioned as a draw in the same breath as Pac and Canelo.

there's no convincing to be done. All the guys you mention ,1-4, are megastars in the sport. 5 is not. I think you need a defining fight or opponent to get to where Cotto, Canelo and Pac are.

Golovkin doesn't have the national following like Canelo and Cotto do. He hasn't broken through to the casuals like Pac did.

Golovkin has a long way to go before he can be mentioned as a draw in the same breath as Pac and Canelo.

I agree with all of that. He is a popular fighter though, and a household name amongst boxing fans, unlike that other guy claimed. He gets over a million views on HBO and is one of the most talked about fighters online. I am not sure why some people love to hate on the guy. I assume it is because there are an equal amount of people who love to put him on a pedestal.

I agree with all of that. He is a popular fighter though, and a household name amongst boxing fans, unlike that other guy claimed. He gets over a million views on HBO and is one of the most talked about fighters online. I am not sure why some people love to hate on the guy. I assume it is because there are an equal amount of people who love to put him on a pedestal.

Fighters who get a lot of praise get a lot of hate as well. I think it often comes down to people being so annoyed by the fans of a particular fighter that they end up hating the fighter.

Then you have the guys here who just dislike power punchers in general. As though they are insulted by the fact superior boxing skill can often be erased by someone with excessive natural punching power.

Then you have the guys here who just dislike power punchers in general. As though they are insulted by the fact superior boxing skill can often be erased by someone with excessive natural punching power.

If a supremely skilled boxer gets knocked out by a crude one-dimensional power puncher, then the supremely skilled boxer deserved to get knocked out. That is how the sport works.

All boxers have natural talents that effect how they box. A lot of the "skill" that is so greatly appreciated in some boxers is just as naturally predisposed as power punching.

For example, Floyd Mayweather is usually considered the most skilled in the world. But he is also obviously one of the most naturally gifted boxers. He has exceptional reflexes, great speed, amazing coordination, insane durability, and even has freakishly long arms for a man his size. His success is directly attributable to those natural traits and abilities that he was able to hone and focus over years of training.

But often, being a natural puncher seems to be scoffed at by boxing hipsters, while all of those other (equally attributable to the genetic lottery) traits are celebrated. It is really a ridiculous idea. There are many ways to win a boxing match, none of more legitimate than the other.

Despite what Seano and I guess to a lesser extent PUO3 says, the majority of people agree that this is a joke. In an age with so many belts and promotiona differences, this lineal shit is stupid.

It is clear that GGG has cleaned out the division outside of fighters who refuse to fight him, Saunders and Cotto who flat out ran away and refuse, and Canelo being a little bitch behind a catch weight.

Since almost everyone on here agrees, outside of 2 stubborn minded people who feel they always need to be right, it is likely reflective of boxing fans in general. Visiting boxing instagrams, other forums, and media outlets supports this.
Couldn't have said it better.

Couldn't have said it better.
You probably could have.
You guys act as though Golovkin is the first guy to ever be the B side in a big fight. Sergio Martinez had to make concessions to fight Cotto, and he was actually the champ.
Golovkin is nobody compared to Canelo. All I'm saying is that if fighting on HBO and listening to Kellerman has convinced Golovkin he's somebody (on the business end) then we're not going to see this fight.
Canelo is going to make a ridiculous offer to Golovkin, if he wants the big fight, he'll take it. I'm not sure why you guys don't understand that this is how the sport works and has worked that way since its inception. It doesn't matter how ridiculous Cottagecheesefan thinks it is. Canelo doesn't give half a shit what Cottagecheesefan thinks.

Canelo doesnt need GGG, I get it. I also get that Canelo has more fans and is a huge PPV star. All of that doesnt make one bit of difference if the fight doesnt take place becasue of weight. If Canelo drops the belt because of weight, he is ducking GGG it's as simple as that. Good for him that it wont effect his fan base, good for him that he doesnt care that a portion of the boxing community will think he's a coward, good for him that his PPV buy rates wont be effected, it still will never change the fact that if he doesnt take fight becasue of weight he is ducking GGG.

Canelo doesnt need GGG, I get it. I also get that Canelo has more fans and is a huge PPV star. All of that doesnt make one bit of difference if the fight doesnt take place becasue of weight. If Canelo drops the belt because of weight, he is ducking GGG it's as simple as that. Good for him that it wont effect his fan base, good for him that he doesnt care that a portion of the boxing community will think he's a coward, good for him that his PPV buy rates wont be effected, it still will never change the fact that if he doesnt take fight becasue of weight he is ducking GGG.
No one will care. Canelo and Golden Boy will put their own spin on it too, if the fight doesn't happen because Golovkin turned down their offer. Then Golovkin will fight nobodies for the next couple of years and retire while Canelo continues to make millions for every single fight.

There is only one way to settle this. Somebody go to Google Trends and find out who gets the most googles.

No one will care. Canelo and Golden Boy will put their own spin on it too, if the fight doesn't happen because Golovkin turned down their offer. Then Golovkin will fight nobodies for the next couple of years and retire while Canelo continues to make millions for every single fight.
thats basically what i just said, except for the Golovkin fighting on and retireing. Hey it still doesnt change and will never change the fact that he ducked him LOL, and that is all i am saying. In history no one will give a fcuk tbh, but it still wont change what it is and that is a blatant duck.

thats basically what i just said, except for the Golovkin fighting on and retireing. Hey it still doesnt change and will never change the fact that he ducked him LOL, and that is all i am saying. In history no one will give a fcuk tbh, but it still wont change what it is and that is a blatant duck.
Golovkin is in his mid 30s. If he doesn't fight Canelo, then who is he going to fight? Canelo is literally his only option for a big fight while he's still close to his prime.

Golovkin is in his mid 30s. If he doesn't fight Canelo, then who is he going to fight? Canelo is literally his only option for a big fight while he's still close to his prime.
there is no one in boxing that will give him the payday that he would get from Canelo. TBH i dont really care who he fights, im just commenting on the catchweight issue. I'd be a little pissed if the fight didnt happen but i undertand why Canelo would duck him. He doesnt need him and nothing will change if he does duck him, so why take the fight if he wont suck himself down dry.

What's with this retarded Caneloweight thing that's been said lately? The only time I can recall he requested a catchweght is with GGG (Cotto requested it in the previous fight, same with the Floyd fight)

What's with this retarded Caneloweight thing that's been said lately? The only time I can recall he requested a catchweght is with GGG (Cotto requested it in the previous fight, same with the Floyd fight)
To be fair, he's had a couple of fights at a 155 pound CW.

there is no one in boxing that will give him the payday that he would get from Canelo. TBH i dont really care who he fights, im just commenting on the catchweight issue. I'd be a little pissed if the fight didnt happen but i undertand why Canelo would duck him. He doesnt need him and nothing will change if he does duck him, so why take the fight if he wont suck himself down dry.

"Sucking himself dry" is a bit a of a stretch. Not like he's asking him to drop 20lbs or something ridiculous. Also Canelo is the A-side, and has ALL the leverage and is being smart and using it. I wouldn't call negotiating, "ducking" GGG. I mean GGG has to realize Canelo could just relinquish the belt and drop back down and he would have a ton of exciting fights for him there, while on the other hand GGG can't say the same.

Canelo has no reason to bend here and all GGG has to do to have the first big fight of his entire career is to accept a catchweight or at least try to get Canelo to budge a bit on the actual weight. Him flat out saying no to negotiating is pretty ridiculous.

Every fight since Angulo.

"Sucking himself dry" is a bit a of a stretch. Not like he's asking him to drop 20lbs or something ridiculous. Also Canelo is the A-side, and has ALL the leverage and is being smart and using it. I wouldn't call negotiating, "ducking" GGG. I mean GGG has to realize Canelo could just relinquish the belt and drop back down and he would have a ton of exciting fights for him there, while on the other hand GGG can't say the same.

Canelo has no reason to bend here and all GGG has to do to have the first big fight of his entire career is to accept a catchweight or at least try to get Canelo to budge a bit on the actual weight. Him flat out saying no to negotiating is pretty ridiculous.
This, pretty much. Announcing to the world that you have no intention of negotiating before negotiation has even begun is not how you make a big fight.

Canelo probably assumes that since he had to do it to get his mega fight with Floyd, then there's nothing wrong with asking his opponent to do it now that he's the star. Canelo doesn't care what a bunch of people on an internet forum think.

That is not a very convincing statement. I mean, the only thing that makes game of thrones popular is HBO also. But if you put it on another channel, people would still watch. GGG would do well on Showtime or PBC too. He is very popular by every measure we have available. Selling 150k PPVs and selling out MSG is not quite the tragedy some people made it out to be.

I do not believe that Arthur Abraham is more popular than GGG. Not in the states at least, I don't know about over seas.

Things worked out okay for Pacquiao when he was selling in that range for some of his early PPV fights (120k vs Larios, 150k vs Solis and 200k vs Diaz).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back