Golovkin tells Canelo NO to 155lbs catchweight, says it shows no respect to boxing

He is lineal. I'm saying that we shouldn't always recognize the lineal champion as the real champion of this division. If that was the case, Roy Jones would have never been the real champion in the LHW division, and the real champion in the LHW division today would be Andre Ward.
OK,I see what you're saying. I misread.

I don't agree but I get what you're saying.

Canelo beat Cotto. Cotto was the champ and is a more significant name than anyone on Golovkin's resume. Other than that, Canelo hasn't had a chance to even defend the title yet. IMO, Canelo is the man to beat in that division. Everyone is going to want to fight Canelo, not Golovkin.

OK,I see what you're saying. I misread.

I don't agree but I get what you're saying.

Canelo beat Cotto. Cotto was the champ and is a more significant name than anyone on Golovkin's resume. Other than that, Canelo hasn't had a chance to even defend the title yet. IMO, Canelo is the man to beat in that division. Everyone is going to want to fight Canelo, not Golovkin.

As I see it, the two clear top fighters are Canelo and Golovkin. When they fight (and I think they will), then we'll have our real champion in the division.

It depends on what happens. If GB makes offers and Canelo crosses his arms ands says "nope" to everything, then what can you say? Canelo will pass on him and Golovkin can go fight George Groves or something. We can't pretend the business aspect of the sport isn't real.
If the only reason for this MW fight doesnt take place is becasue of weight, i will hammer Canelo. If its just money issues i will read what happened and hammer who ever i think is to blame. If i find out GGG thinks he is worth to much and declined than i would hammer him. If it comes down to a weight issue i stand by what i have been saying.

If the only reason for this MW fight doesnt take place is becasue of weight, i will hammer Canelo. If its just money issues i will read what happened and hammer who ever i think is to blame. If i find out GGG thinks he is worth to much and declined than i would hammer him. If it comes down to a weight issue i stand by what i have been saying.

I tend to agree. There is not really any reason why a catchweight is necessary to begin with. If the fight falls apart at anything lower than a 158 CW, it's on Canelo.

I think you're wrong about that. The only thing working against GGG is that he isn't that young, but I know a lot more people that are excited about him right now than about Canelo. I think his popularity (and purses) will continue to grow as long as he keeps winning.

That's why he sold a whooping 97k PPV buys right? His promoter even resorted to bringing in the concession sales just to make it sound that it didn't flop.

Oscar was in Dallas yesterday meeting with Jerry Jones about hosting the GGG/Canelo fight if it were to happen in September.

I think you're wrong about that. The only thing working against GGG is that he isn't that young, but I know a lot more people that are excited about him right now than about Canelo. I think his popularity (and purses) will continue to grow as long as he keeps winning.
eh, he's not as popular as his fans would like to say he is. His PPV was a half decent card and according to some reports, it didn't break 100k in sales.

Guys like Cotto, Floyd, Canelo and Pac could triple numbers like that fighting anyone.

the only thing that could make Golovkin a bigger star is fighting a guy like Canelo, which is why I've been saying that if Golovkin goes into negotiation with Canelo acting like he's the boss, then we've pretty much seen the peak of Golovkin's popularity. Golovkin needs Canelo to further his career. There are literally no appealing opponents for him at 160 aside from Canelo. Jacobs I guess, but is beating Danny Jacobs really going to mean that much to casual fans?

We've watched him beat all the second stringers at 160. No one really cares about those fights once the spectacle of the KO fades. He can make a move to 168, which I personally would really like to see. He could probably get a good payday and a fairly high profile fight if he could make a deal with Abraham or maybe even Degale. But a fight that could get him noticed like a Canelo fight? No, there's nothing else.

Canelo can fight Gabe Rosado or Willie Monroe and his fans will watch because he already has a hardcore fan base.

If Golovkin wants to start making real PPV money, he has to grab his ankles and take whatever Golden Boy and Canelo offer to him, like it or not.

GB's position is not as good as you claim. Golovkin is the mandatory, meaning that Canelo has to hand his belt to Golovkin for free if he keeps insisting his 155 catch weight demand. This would devalue Canelo in the public eye.

Canelo needs to man up and let Golovkin fight at the weight he wants.

eh, he's not as popular as his fans would like to say he is. His PPV was a half decent card and according to some reports, it didn't break 100k in sales.

Guys like Cotto, Floyd, Canelo and Pac could triple numbers like that fighting anyone.

the only thing that could make Golovkin a bigger star is fighting a guy like Canelo, which is why I've been saying that if Golovkin goes into negotiation with Canelo acting like he's the boss, then we've pretty much seen the peak of Golovkin's popularity. Golovkin needs Canelo to further his career. There are literally no appealing opponents for him at 160 aside from Canelo. Jacobs I guess, but is beating Danny Jacobs really going to mean that much to casual fans?

We've watched him beat all the second stringers at 160. No one really cares about those fights once the spectacle of the KO fades. He can make a move to 168, which I personally would really like to see. He could probably get a good payday and a fairly high profile fight if he could make a deal with Abraham or maybe even Degale. But a fight that could get him noticed like a Canelo fight? No, there's nothing else.

Canelo can fight Gabe Rosado or Willie Monroe and his fans will watch because he already has a hardcore fan base.

If Golovkin wants to start making real PPV money, he has to grab his ankles and take whatever Golden Boy and Canelo offer to him, like it or not.
I'm not saying that he is as popular as Canelo, just that he is increasing in popularity right now and I don't think Canelo is. Most of the people who have asked me about him (friends know me as a fight nerd, as is probably true for most here) were after the Lemieux fight. Most places I've seen have it listed at 150,000 buys. To be fair, all of Canelo's ppv opponents were more popular than Lemieux. I agree that the other 3 outsell GGG easily all day. That's undeniable.

Once again, I'm not saying that GGG can try to negotiate as the big money fighter, but his popularity is growing and he is the mandatory defense so I don't think he has to grovel either.

GB's position is not as good as you claim. Golovkin is the mandatory, meaning that Canelo has to hand his belt to Golovkin for free if he keeps insisting his 155 catch weight demand. This would devalue Canelo in the public eye.

Canelo needs to man up and let Golovkin fight at the weight he wants.

the mexicans wouldnt care, canelo can do no wrong in their eyes

ggg needs this fight more then canelo

Canelo PPV with Khan is going be big enough for Saul to tell GGG what to do, belt or no belt. GGG can have the belts like Hopkins did but he needs an A-side to make him a Star. Hopkins without Tito or Oscar would have faded away in history after Taylor beat him and stopped the run.

the mexicans wouldnt care, canelo can do no wrong in their eyes

ggg needs this fight more then canelo

If Team Golovkin expect that their man could come in weakened at 155 and therefore lose the fight, it's not gonna happen.

From a legacy standpoint, it's not even that important. One single win over Canelo is not going to increase Golovkin's prestige that much. Not 20 years from now.

Last edited:

Well judging from Abels comments it sounds like he doesnt care about being a PPV star yet, he just wants to be a unified champ. So with that said if the fight doesnt happen because of weight we can take it for what it is and that is a big DUCK.

If Team Golovkin expect that their man could come in weakened at 155 and therefore lose the fight, it's not gonna happen.

From a legacy standpoint, it's not even that important. One single win over Canelo is not going to increase Golovkin's prestige that much. Not 20 years from now.
The average boxing fan does not know who ggg is, he needs this fight to maximize his final 3-4 years

The average boxing fan does not know who ggg is, he needs this fight to maximize his final 3-4 years

GGG definitely needs the Canelo fight for the big money it brings.

But to say the average boxing fan does not know him is a stretch. He is one of the 5 most popular active boxers in the world.

1. Pac
2. Klitschko
3. Cotto
4. Canelo
5. GGG

GGG definitely needs the Canelo fight for the big money it brings.

But to say the average boxing fan does not know him is a stretch. He is one of the 5 most popular active boxers in the world.

1. Pac
2. Klitschko
3. Cotto
4. Canelo
5. GGG

Honestly, I don't think Golovkin belongs on that list. All the others are way beyond him in terms of notoriety.

Honestly, I don't think Golovkin belongs on that list. All the others are way beyond him in terms of notoriety.

That's not really how lists work though. Is there somebody who belongs between him and Canelo?

He sells out arenas by himself, and he appears semi-regularly on ESPN. I think he is more popular in then you give him credit for.

That's not really how lists work though. Is there somebody who belongs between him and Canelo?

He sells out arenas by himself, and he appears semi-regularly on ESPN. I think he is more popular in then you give him credit for.
I bet more people watch an Arthur Abraham fight. The only thing that really makes him a star right now is HBO. His PPV attempt flopped.

All the other names you mentioned, people will pay to see them. Golovkin doesn't have that level of fame. If he's really number 5 on that list, then he's a distant 5.

I bet more people watch an Arthur Abraham fight. The only thing that really makes him a star right now is HBO. His PPV attempt flopped.

All the other names you mentioned, people will pay to see them. Golovkin doesn't have that level of fame. If he's really number 5 on that list, then he's a distant 5.

That is not a very convincing statement. I mean, the only thing that makes game of thrones popular is HBO also. But if you put it on another channel, people would still watch. GGG would do well on Showtime or PBC too. He is very popular by every measure we have available. Selling 150k PPVs and selling out MSG is not quite the tragedy some people made it out to be.

I do not believe that Arthur Abraham is more popular than GGG. Not in the states at least, I don't know about over seas.

If Canelo loves 155 so much, let's just let him weigh-in at 155 but Golovkin should be allowed to weigh-in at 160.

Back