Golovkin tells Canelo NO to 155lbs catchweight, says it shows no respect to boxing

Conor McGregor is the 145 lb champ who moved up to challenge the 155 lb champ, only for him to pull out and is now fighting a replacement at 170 lb. Makes boxers like Canelo look kind of wet, no?'

Conor McGregor is the 145 lb champ who moved up to challenge the 155 lb champ, only for him to pull out and is now fighting a replacement at 170 lb. Makes boxers like Canelo look kind of wet, no?'

McGregor is more or less a full sized 155 pounder who killed himself to make 145 (and will likely never fight there again) just like Canelo is more or less a full sized MW. He's fighting a lower-end top 10 155er at a 170 pound limit because the 155er in question can't make weight on two weeks notice. A fairly similar situation would be Canelo fighting Andy Lee or Peter Quillin on two weeks notice at 175 after he had been in camp preparing for a fight for the last 6-8ish weeks. I don't think too many would give him much props for that.

McGregor is more or less a full sized 155 pounder who killed himself to make 145 (and will likely never fight there again) just like Canelo is more or less a full sized MW. He's fighting a lower-end top 10 155er at a 170 pound limit because the 155er in question can't make weight on two weeks notice. A fairly similar situation would be Canelo fighting Andy Lee or Peter Quillin on two weeks notice at 175 after he had been in camp preparing for a fight for the last 6-8ish weeks. I don't think too many would give him much props for that.

Well, dog on the Diaz fight if you like(that is a makeshift situation) but you are underplaying his challenge for the LW belt imo. Dos Anjos is a solid dominant champ and McGregor is making an audacious bid to hold both belts. It's more akin to Canelo or GGG challenging Ward at 168 or even Kovalev at 175.

Well, dog on the Diaz fight if you like(that is a makeshift situation) but you are underplaying his challenge for the LW belt imo. Dos Anjos is a solid dominant champ and McGregor is making an audacious bid to hold both belts. It's more akin to Canelo or GGG challenging Ward at 168 or even Kovalev at 175.

I like the Diaz fight and think it has the potential to be competitive. I've given McGregor full credit for moving up in weight against Dos Anjos (I didn't think they'd do it originally, although, I think a big part of the decision was the struggle of the weight cut). Let's not pretend that Canelo has avoided tough fights so far in his career (ignoring the Mayweather fight because of the fact it was a massive payday for Canelo, the Lara and Trout fights were both stylistic challenges that he could have likely gotten away with avoiding) or pretend that it's a foregone conclusion that he won't be facing Golovkin. I've said a few times that if this fight doesn't happen because of Canelo's insistence on a catchweight, then Canelo deserves all the shit he gets, but negotiations are a long way from being dead in the water just yet. A 25 year old with Trout, Mayweather, Lara, Cotto, and Golovkin on his resume isn't really someone I'd call a bitch. Again, though, time will tell.

Nate Diaz isn't that good....at all. Dude's pretty fucking slow and has pretty shit defense. McGreggor picked a guy that although bigger, isn't really much of a threat to him.

Is it MMAs version of a 170 pound Golovkin that he's fighting?

lol Nate Diaz. Is that really who he's fighting?

Lets not get too carried away. Conor wanted it at 155, he said so himself, but Nate said no. So basically he's just fighting a fat Nate diaz who has less than two weeks to prepare. Not that great of an acheivement tbh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back