Girl died doing squats

UWanaPlayDaGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://zerohora.clicrbs.com.br/rs/policia/noticia/2013/09/educadora-fisica-morre-durante-exercicio-em-academia-de-pelotas-4274778.html

thursday afternoon in my town this gym teacher was working out all by herself before the place opened for business and died on the squat machine. she was found with her head between her legs and it hasn't been ruled yet if she was suffocated by the bar or if the bar broke her spine.

it was shocking to me since I drove past the place and when I saw the forensics car there I jokingly said "someone died in the gym". later I find out this young girl died while working out. life's a bitch really.

what could posibly have happened? considering she was probably doing high level workouts and was all alone in the gym.

Mod edit

Due to the influx of trollish/tasteless comments, cards will be handed out to anyone who attempts to derail the thread. Keep posts on topic and clean.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Smith machine squats.

Could have got stapled under the bar. If you were to use a smith machine and you get folded in half, there's no way to get it off you without help. It has safety catches, but maybe they weren't in use?

It could limit blood flow, cut off oxygen, break something.

Could also have just been a blood clot that came loose. Have to wait and see.

That's too bad.

There was a thread recently about how much more dangerous barbell squats are compared to smith machine squats, and the suggestion that smith machine squats are actually more dangerous made a few people's brains asplode.

They should ban the smith machine

damn this video draws a posible picture... but it looks like it is just a guy way out of his league who can't even get it started.

with this girl it was a gym teacher who went to the trouble of working out all by herself before the place opened. what I'm most curious is if it was a quick strike of the bar or if she got trapped under the bar and had a slow death.

When will people figure out the Smith machine is for bench pressing.

Sad story, I didn't bother opening the link to the story, but why wasn't the gym manned? Surely someone should have been there just incase something like this happens.

That's too bad.

There was a thread recently about how much more dangerous barbell squats are compared to smith machine squats, and the suggestion that smith machine squats are actually more dangerous made a few people's brains asplode.

Hopefully they assploded before procreating.

we all assume risk when we go into a gym and work with heavy equipment, whatever it is. I'm not remotely surprised this happened with a smith machine, but I will say, as someone suggested above, it's entirely possible she had a blood clot or aneurism during exercise that caused her death. Whatever it was, it's a freak occurrence and really sad.

There are literally hundreds of medical reasons she might have died from other than workout accidents

http://zerohora.clicrbs.com.br/rs/policia/noticia/2013/09/educadora-fisica-morre-durante-exercicio-em-academia-de-pelotas-4274778.html

thursday afternoon in my town this gym teacher was working out all by herself before the place opened for business and died on the squat machine. she was found with her head between her legs and it hasn't been ruled yet if she was suffocated by the bar or if the bar broke her spine.

it was shocking to me since I drove past the place and when I saw the forensics car there I jokingly said "someone died in the gym". later I find out this young girl died while working out. life's a bitch really.

what could posibly have happened? considering she was probably doing high level workouts and was all alone in the gym.

maybe she blew an O-ring

The article is in spanish, does it say what actually happened?

I can't see how you could die while doing barbell squats unless you had a pre-existing condition that contributed to your death.

Portugese.

Its in portugese.

Also, much as I expected that "woman out of kitchen hurr durr"-comment, thats some low brow shit.

Portugese.

Its in portugese.

Also, much as I expected that "woman out of kitchen hurr durr"-comment, thats some low brow shit.

Agreed.

Someone died in a tragic accident, it's hardly fitting to mock them for it.

Went ahead and removed the offending post + the ones that quoted it (in case you were wondering what happened to your posts).

Cheers, guys.

Back