• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Giga Chikadze on Barboza "We are on different levels" Will "turn Edson into a wrestler".

Burgos is wild, but he is top 10 and primality known as a boxer and Edson outboxed him.

The 3 best fighters Burgos has fought all beat him.

He is not elite by any sensible standard.

Burgo's best win is over Swanson, as is Giga's.

Giga summarily knocked him out in the first round in short lived beating. Burgo's went to war and eeked out a split decision.

It is borderline moronic to frame this interchangably as "they both share the same best win."

Giga may very well win because this is MMA, but I am just trying to understand what you base this off of:

The same thing Giga is saying. He looks like the demonstrably more complete striker compared with Barboza, and Barboza has a decade long body of work getting out struck and often put away. This isn't even a complicated one to unpack.

You're talking rankings, I'm talking skills. Never forget what Beniel Dariush did to Barboza with a jab and a low kick. And that's a guy who's considered a sloppy striker.

Barboza is a badass fighter. He'd always in shape, and he comes to fight. Nothing to complain about, the man is a fighters fighter, but I wouldn't exactly call him an IQ fighter.

I don't see anything unfair about Giga' s analysis, he is a superior striker and I expect Barboza to start engaging in grappling after just a few exchanges.

Stop looking at wiki and watch more fights.

This sums up my point of view more eloquently then I've been able to punch up in this thread.

If you have eyeballs and good context for MMA striking, Giga looks like he's going to be superior in there, certainly fresher with less miles to boot. It makes sense Barboza will want to grapple if he can't get anything done on the feet.

Funny cuz Giga hasn't impressed me at all so far except for that one body kick on Cub. Looks timid and poor cardio so all this talk about fighting Max and outclassing Barboza seems weird. I don't know anything about his kickboxing background though so I'm open to being wrong

Giga summarily knocked him out in the first round in short lived beating. Burgo's went to war and eeked out a split decision.

It is borderline moronic to frame this interchangably as "they both share the same best win."

The same thing Giga is saying. He looks like the demonstrably more complete striker compared with Barboza, and Barboza has a decade long body of work getting out struck and often put away. This isn't even a complicated one to unpack.

No argument from me, but Barboza, Emmet, and Calvin are all better than Giga's best win, so that doesn't tell us by default he would do any better against them, in terms of factually. You can speculate if you want.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but it is factually correct that they both share the same best win. Yes, Giga did it more dominantly, but it's still the same best win. That's a fact, not a moronic statement. You can also understand matchups make fights. Just like how Giga squeaked by Jammal Emmers by split decision a year ago. You can't get a KO every time.

he same thing Giga is saying. He looks like the demonstrably more complete striker compared with Barboza, and Barboza has a decade long body of work getting out struck and often put away. This isn't even a complicated one to unpack
See, this is the part I'm trying to understand. Barboza does not get often put away. He's been put away once on the feet in the last nine years and that was by Justin Gaethje, shit happens. It could happen here too.

My question wasn't an argument about why Edson would win. I was wondering why Giga's striking can be considered so elite after one meaningful fight. Yes, he kicked Cub, that's awesome. But before that, he was going to split decision with guys that have no wiki page. So to me, it's not that I only look at rankings, I'm looking at more than just one performance. The last two fights he looked good. Before that, not so much. and one of those two fights basically tells us nothing.

I've shared very little of my own opinion year and am speaking strictly data that for some reason irks you guys.

You're talking rankings, I'm talking skills. Never forget what Beniel Dariush did to Barboza with a jab and a low kick. And that's a guy who's considered a sloppy striker.

Barboza is a badass fighter. He's always in shape, and he comes to fight. Nothing to complain about, the man is a fighters fighter, but I wouldn't exactly call him an IQ fighter.

I don't see anything unfair about Giga' s analysis, he is a superior striker and I expect Barboza to start engaging in grappling after just a few exchanges.

Stop looking at wiki and watch more fights.
First of all, Dariush is a current top #3 LW and that fight ended in the second with Edson knocking him unconscious. What did he do with a jab and low kick? Win the first round? Before being on the receiving end of a knockout of the year contender in the second?

I'm not even saying Edson will win here. I frankly don't know, which is why I will be sure to tune in. But I want to know why the selective use of data? So Edson getting jabbed by top 3 Dariush in 2017 before KO'ing him is an argument for Giga being a better striker but Giga getting outstruck in all three rounds by Jammal Emmers (a guy with no wiki page) one year ago doesn't count why?
giga.png

Wouldn't that be some shit if D1 Barboza went out there and wrestlefucked Giga for five rounds after he said this?
Yes, lol.

Edson hit a decent takedown on Felder in the 2nd fight but I don't think he would ever fight that way out of principle.

I often find myself seeing his name at a glance as GigaChad.

66f-1.jpg

Can't help it.

Yes, lol.

Edson hit a decent takedown on Felder in the 2nd fight but I don't think he would ever fight that way out of principle.

Quite possibly. He wrestled Amirkhani a bit, too. But really I was talking more about the fact that I'd find that fight outcome endlessly amusing after this rhetoric even if I am nominally backing Giga.

Barboza has an extensive body of work and his boxing has always been subpar compared to elite competition.

Burgos is a wild man and fun to watch, but he's not elite competition, and they went to war.

Giga is a legit world class MMA adapted striker. I think he's a favorite here in a standup battle, and he is 100% correct that Barboza will want to clinch or grapple once he gets out classed.

Burgos is way better than Brandon Davis and Jamall Emmers.

Even though I can't imagine Edson grappling much, it actually would be smart for him to implement a grappling heavy gameplan here. He very likely does have a pretty decent grappling advantage over Giga. Whereas on the feet, they are both elite and two of the best kickers in the game and both definitely have the ability to KO the other. If Edson mixes in some takedowns I think he should definitely win this fight. Having said that... I fully expect him to stand and bang and put on a show. Which is why we all love him.

Burgos is way better than Brandon Davis and Jamall Emmers.

To be clear, my post was a response to a question: "Do you still think Barboza has below averaging boxing considering his fight with Burgos?"

The answer is yes. His entire body of work speaks for itself, and having a war with Burgos didn't really change my opinion on his boxing.

Also of note, Burgos is a fine fighter, despite there being no reason to call him elite at this point. He's lost to the 3 best guys he's fought so far.

Both are quite sloppy in the boxing department imo, but I think Edson has better combinations.

What's Giga's clinch saying? Edson would be smart to get close and spam knees and elbows imo.

To be clear, my post was a response to a question: "Do you still think Barboza has below averaging boxing considering his fight with Burgos?"

The answer is yes. His entire body of work speaks for itself, and having a war with Burgos didn't really change my opinion on his boxing.

Also of note, Burgos is a fine fighter, despite there being no reason to call him elite at this point. He's lost to the 3 best guys he's fought so far.

i don't know why Burgos not being elite is even part of the argument. Giga hasn't even fought the level of competition Burgos has.

i don't know why Burgos not being elite is even part of the argument. Giga hasn't even fought the level of competition Burgos has.

I agree, which is why I was replying to someone, this wasn't my concept.

You can look at Barboza's body of work and say "his boxing is lacking" and that should not be a remotely controversial statement. I would say similar about his ability to take a shot and getting pressured.

Giga is far less experienced but has a body of work in kickboxing as well. You can watch his MMA fights and get a good sense of his qualities as a striker. I think its reasonable what Giga is saying - the pro kickboxer who has a lot less miles and a more complete arsenal of striking.

Back