• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Giga Chikadze on Barboza "We are on different levels" Will "turn Edson into a wrestler".

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
“I think (Barboza) will try and take me down,” Chikadze told BJPenn.com. “He will start with striking and then he will see the difference in the level of striking we have and he will shoot. He’ll be shocked when he sees how much better of a striker I am, that we are on different levels. He will then turn into a wrestler and will try and take me down.”

1284492534.0.jpg

I tend to agree with him.

Barboza has always had below average boxing. He's dangerous, but not a complete fighter, or even a complete striker.

I like Giga in this fight.

I'm so damn hyped with this fight.

Barboza struggles with pressure fighter but Giga is a technician. He's really high level on the feet but can he press Barboza. Despite a few flukey loss recently, Barboza has looked damn good to me.

He's probably right.
based on a finish of 37 year old Cub Swanson who has now been finished 9 times?

Or was it the finish of Jamey Simmons who I can't nit pick because he has no wiki page. lol .

those are Giga's two UFC finishes.

I'm full on board that Giga is talented. But for me, I'd have to see him win this fight before jumping on the train. Less than two years ago, he had a back and forth striking war with Brandon Davis.

based on a finish of 37 year old Cub Swanson who has now been finished 9 times?

Or was it the finish of Jamey Simmons who I can't nit pick because he has no wiki page. lol .

those are Giga's two UFC finishes.

I'm full on board that Giga is talented. But for me, I'd have to see him win this fight before jumping on the train. Less than two years ago, he had a back and forth striking war with Brandon Davis.
No, based on talent I can see lol. Are you telling me you can't recognize what fighters can do until they're matched up with someone top 10? That's on you partner.

Watching his fight with Shane Burgos, you believe he has below averaged boxing? Or just not as good as his kicks?

Barboza has an extensive body of work and his boxing has always been subpar compared to elite competition.

Burgos is a wild man and fun to watch, but he's not elite competition, and they went to war.

Giga is a legit world class MMA adapted striker. I think he's a favorite here in a standup battle, and he is 100% correct that Barboza will want to clinch or grapple once he gets out classed.

Barboza has an extensive body of work and his boxing has always been subpar compared to elite competition.

Burgos is a wild man and fun to watch, but he's not elite competition, and they went to war.

Giga is a legit world class MMA adapted striker. I think he's a favorite here in a standup battle, and he is 100% correct that Barboza will want to clinch or grapple once he gets out classed.
Burgos is wild, but he is top 10 and primality known as a boxer and Edson outboxed him.

Burgo's best win is over Swanson, as is Giga's. As far as evidence goes, there is no evidence that Giga is anymore elite than burgos based on resume. Burgos has lost more, but he's faced far better competition. Giga has two good wins in a row, and before that, was going to split decisions with extremely sub-par guys as late as last year (Jammal Emmers).

Giga may very well win because this is MMA, but I am just trying to understand what you base this off of:

"he is 100% correct that Barboza will want to clinch or grapple once he gets out classed."

No, based on talent I can see lol. Are you telling me you can't recognize what fighters can do until they're matched up with someone top 10? That's on you partner.
Not at all, I'm saying that after rewatching his fights, I'm looking at a guy who's fought 6 times in UFC, and looked extremely average in his first four fights against sub-mid-tier competition and until November of 2020 when he was matched up with a can making his debut who also has no wiki page. After that, he fought Cub Swanson and looked sharp in that fight. But it's one fight and Cub is five years passed his prime.

I'll take Barboza over any striker in the division.
Shit happens, Giga could win, could score a KO, we've seen much weirder. But I encourage anyone to make the argument of outclassing when comparing resumes. Giga looked like shit in his first four fights including in March of 2020 against Jammal Emmers in a split decision. Who da fook is dat guy.

Since then, he fought a guy making his debut with no wiki page, and then smoked Cub Swanson (37 years old, lost 5 of his last 7) Forgive me for pumping the brakes a bit.

I tend to agree with him.

Barboza has always had below average boxing. He's dangerous, but not a complete fighter, or even a complete striker.

I like Giga in this fight.

I'm not overly impressed with either guys hands to be honest. Both are great kickboxers, though. I'm favoring Barboza late, but I'll be happy either way.

Not at all, I'm saying that after rewatching his fights, I'm looking at a guy who's fought 6 times in UFC, and looked extremely average in his first four fights against sub-mid-tier competition and until November of 2020 when he was matched up with a can making his debut who also has no wiki page. After that, he fought Cub Swanson and looked sharp in that fight. But it's one fight and Cub is five years passed his prime.
You're talking rankings, I'm talking skills. Never forget what Beniel Dariush did to Barboza with a jab and a low kick. And that's a guy who's considered a sloppy striker.

Barboza is a badass fighter. He's always in shape, and he comes to fight. Nothing to complain about, the man is a fighters fighter, but I wouldn't exactly call him an IQ fighter.

I don't see anything unfair about Giga' s analysis, he is a superior striker and I expect Barboza to start engaging in grappling after just a few exchanges.

Stop looking at wiki and watch more fights.

Last edited:
Back