• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

37 fights since new gloves. Only 5 KOs/ TKOs

i basically stopped using this site after it (this is the first post since.)

the adds on mobile are disgusting. Multiple pops ups that are hard to close, spawning right next to scrolling finger etc.

Its like they trying to run this down.

Yeah its as if they don't care if we're here or not sometimes sir.
The ads are egregious to be perfectly honest.

Fuckin nightmare ...I know it all too well sir lol
idiocracy_2.jpg

We are going to need ref to make even earlier stoppages to compensate the KO rate.
Jason Herzog is working on it.

I didn't even know there were new gloves, what do the new gloves look like compared to the old gloves? What is the difference?
1718605979230.png

I had to research. So, that extra padding doesn't help with eye pokes but works as a pillow.
I have an idea: Winning gloves. The ones used in PRIDE.

Wait, so fighters not on a quality card won't win by KO?
Go through and look at the last couple cards. The majority haven't been people you think of as KO artists.
We have been getting FlyW fights, main events and grappler heavy cards with Poirer vs Islam and Cannonier vs Imavov as the main outliers in terms of guys known for finishing higher level comp by anything close to a knock out. I think this upcoming card with Alex and Jiri is the first time we have had a couple of known KO artists in the bigger weight classes.

They took so many years to develop terrible gloves that don't prevent eye pokes... Amazing. One of the dumbest things they've done since the Reebok deal.

They are an incredibly incompetent organization when it comes to day-to-day operations, they are just extremely competent when it comes to negotiating broadcast deals, castrating fighters and getting mongs to pay exorbitant ticket prices.

Cuamba and Hiestand both got badly dropped on the last card, could easily have been finishes if their opponents had slightly more killer instinct.

How many KOs in the 37 fights BEFORE the new gloves?
Good question

Event before 302: Barboza vs Murphy, 12 fights, 4 Kos (one appears to be a knee to body then follow up shots)

Before that: Lewis vs Nascimento, 12 fights, 4 KOs, but one was a head kick

Ufc 301: 13 fights which brings us exactly to 37- 4 kos, but one by doctor stoppage

So 12 KOs in the prior 37 fights, with 3 of them by non punching means so 9 “gloved” knockouts

Small sample size, but something to keep an eye if we’re really gonna see the KO rate cut in half from extra padding in the gloves, or lack of causing fighters to pull a bit to not risk their hands breaking

Go through and look at the last couple cards. The majority haven't been people you think of as KO artists.
We have been getting FlyW fights, main events and grappler heavy cards with Poirer vs Islam and Cannonier vs Imavov as the main outliers in terms of guys known for finishing higher level comp by anything close to a knock out. I think this upcoming card with Alex and Jiri is the first time we have had a couple of known KO artists in the bigger weight classes.
If Jiri vs Alex goes to a decision then I will blame the gloves

Not a statistically significant sample.
Who needs samples when you have physics?

If I've said it once, I've said it 100 times, I have no idea how anyone got fooled into thinking less padding = more knockouts. If there's a good reason for why boxing doesn't see that many KO's, it's cuz they're generally better at defense (and also have less to defend).

Force is mass x acceleration. Less padding is less mass. That's just the basics.

If we want to get complicated, we could try to determine the minimal change padding puts on acceleration, or calculate what little energy is more absorbed by the padding in reactive force, but then because of that, you'd have to key in the fact more padding also allows you to throw harder without fear of a break.

Who needs samples when you have physics?

If I've said it once, I've said it 100 times, I have no idea how anyone got fooled into thinking less padding = more knockouts. If there's a good reason for why boxing doesn't see that many KO's, it's cuz they're generally better at defense (and also have less to defend).

Force is mass x acceleration. Less padding is less mass. That's just the basics.

If we want to get complicated, we could try to determine the minimal change padding puts on acceleration, or calculate what little energy is more absorbed by the padding in reactive force, but then because of that, you'd have to key in the fact more padding also allows you to throw harder without fear of a break.

So by your logic you would get a lot more knockouts if everyone had heavy pillows on their hands, because of the added mass?

Doubtful. Id learn more towards that it lets people swing harder as you altso stated.

So by your logic you would get a lot more knockouts if everyone had heavy pillows on their hands, because of the added mass?

Doubtful. Id learn more towards that it lets people swing harder as you altso stated.
Notice I didn't say boxing had more KO's despite the heavy pillows. The added weight is negligible, I just noted that it's added because that's the equation for force.

And although more padding SHOULD allow someone to be more carefree about how they throw and therefore more careful with less padding, the incredible stubbornness of MMA fighters, especially on display in bare knuckle boxing, shows they'll throw anything with abandon, small hand bones be dammed

Screenshot 2024-06-15 220450.png

It doesn't stop Fighters from poking/raking eyes.

What was the mission statement for these new gloves?

What this might prove is that it's harder to knock someone out if they can see out of both eyes

Poirier vs Makhachev was the first card with me gloves?

If so in the previous 4 card there was a total of 16 TKO/KO s

Back