[GIF] The crucial moment where Alex loses the belt

umm... what did jones do with that elbow? nothing. he did nothing. gustafsson still won that round and at worst it was a draw.

robbery.

Jon set it up instead of throwing it at a whim.

Leg tap to threaten with a single leg(causes Gus to lower his head and bring his hands down in anticipation to get underhooks). It helps with accuracy as well because he knows where his opponent's head will be this way.

It's how he landed it on O'Brien as well which also rocked his opponent. It made the difference here. For comparison

8.gif

11.gif

jones-100.gif

Don't know why some say Jon's is pure flash.

Exposing your back to your opponent is never a good idea. Relying on this strike too much can be recipe for disaster. I'd expect Gus to adjust to this for the next fight. It should be an easy takedown any time your opponent uses this technique. It just takes time to practice the defense.

Boy Gus straight up jogged the fuck outta there. He took that elbow like a fucking boss though, that shit was perfect and he didn't even look like he was about to drop.

Gus was in retreat survival mode after that elbow and seriously Jones had been slipping plenty of punches. The cut on Jones eye was from a glove. Both guys were using fingers and both were warned. If a round is close and a guy is reeling at the end of a round then...see showtime kick

For me I thought it was a draw or Gus won. Jones is the champ and he'll be more dangerous than ever after this. After seeing Anderson getting koed you'd think he would have come in to kill.

2600 posts on an mma forum and u spell it "koed"?? Lol :p

It really grinds my gears that so many fans and media gave Jones the 4th.

So did the judges. A lot of people are saying after rewatching the fight a few times that they changed their minds. Guess what judges don't get to do - rewatch fights.

I watched the fight over and I now feel that the 4th round should have gone to Gus, was a nice elbow, but it didnt drop gus, he still defended most of the strikes...nothing since that elbow landed flush and he defended the TD attempts...he was avoiding sure but he should have got that round, I mean that was Gus's best round until that one elbow...scoring in MMA is so messed up.

In the heat of the moment watching it live I felt it might have gone to jones...but after viewing it again with a closer observing eye...the elbow is the only valid strike that landed.

Exactly, the same happened to me. Now I think Gus won, but after watching the fight twice and relaxed. That's why I don't blame the judges, it was close.

That exchange did more damage and was closer to finshing than anything Gus did the whole fight. Of course Jones wins that round.

Keep wishing Jones haters, your boy got whacked. Deal with it.

Exposing your back to your opponent is never a good idea. Relying on this strike too much can be recipe for disaster. I'd expect Gus to adjust to this for the next fight. It should be an easy takedown any time your opponent uses this technique. It just takes time to practice the defense.

Of course, there's risk involved. I wouldn't say Jon relied/relies on it too much though. Last night was probably the most he's thrown it since the Gusmao fight(6 or 7 times over 5 rounds).

I think Gus should be wary of it but not necessarily work too much on the defense of it. It's much better if he continues to treat all leg taps as legit TD attempts, damage from a spinning elbow can be devastating but staying off of his back is more important.

Jones got the nod for having the belt. If Gus was champ he would have kept the belt as well. Decisions are weighted in the favor of the champs unless the challenger can wrestlefuck them. In a primarily stand up battle the champ almost ALWAYS gets the nod if he survived and did decently.

JBJ almost finished Gus. Of course it won him the round.

I fail to see where he was almost finished...

He was hurt but he defended well, wasnt knocked down, and was still moving.
I'd score the round for gus. 40 seconds of jones winning does not negate the rest of the round which he lost.

Gus was in retreat survival mode after that elbow and seriously Jones had been slipping plenty of punches. The cut on Jones eye was from a glove. Both guys were using fingers and both were warned. If a round is close and a guy is reeling at the end of a round then...see showtime kick

For me I thought it was a draw or Gus won. Jones is the champ and he'll be more dangerous than ever after this. After seeing Anderson getting koed you'd think he would have come in to kill.

As if The Mauler won't come in the rematch improved.

I fail to see where he was almost finished...

He was hurt but he defended well, wasnt knocked down, and was still moving.
I'd score the round for gus. 40 seconds of jones winning does not negate the rest of the round which he lost.

Because he was on queer street, sure he was standing but he was a zombie at that point. If that round was 30 seconds longer he was done for..

Because he was on queer street, sure he was standing but he was a zombie at that point. If that round was 30 seconds longer he was done for..

you know that zombie threw bones to the ground before the buzzer, right?

yeah of course you knew that, you wouldn't neglect reality like that would you?

Wow, I was pretty on the fence about the fight and who won, then I considered what some of you have said. Now I think Gus has a case for getting robbed. Not in a sense of blatant robbery, mind you, but the wrong call was probably made. All I'm saying. It's slightly ironic that people vouching for Jon winning off that elbow is what did it..

Because you're meaning to tell me a slick elbow that caught Gus on the top of the head is what trumped EVERYTHING that Gus landed before that? Some of you all need to go back and read was effective defense means. Yea it hurt him, along with that knee, but 2 fucking strikes that Gus quickly recovered from?? Then stuffing takedown #89731 afterwards and practically securing his own TD at the end of the round?

Holy shit.

And I didn't even consider the multiple warnings from the ref about JBJ's fingers. Round 1 warning, then what two or three more verbal warnings? They cut the champ a huge break. If the rumors about fudged UFC stats are true, it's perfectly believable.

Back