[GIF] The crucial moment where Alex loses the belt

props to jones for continuing to push the action and showing some desperation to win the fight. props to both for their performances and heart. really an epic battle. without the elbow, jones losses his title. sports drama.

I thought Gus had the fight won before the big elbow then Jones started turning things around.

Gus needs to learn to defend against those elbows and headkicks. He ate like 50 of them. Great chin, but not a smart thing to do for you health or scorecards.

Gus needs to learn to defend against those elbows and headkicks. He ate like 50 of them. Great chin, but not a smart thing to do for you health or scorecards.
Fifty.

If you multiply the ones he took by ten.

37 secs left on the 4:th. Alex is picking Jon apart and landing shot after shot. For a moment it looks like he's about to run away with it like he did against Shogun in the 3:rd. And then...

plI8B1.gif

"If only". I bet he must be going through this sequence in his mind once or twice in the coming months. Ouch.

Amazing heart to stop the TD and throw Jon to the mat at the end though.

The gif doesn't show it but it's crazy how Jones knew he had to go all out right before the gif starts Jone looks up at the clock then he starts to unload

Jon set it up instead of throwing it at a whim.

Leg tap to threaten with a single leg(causes Gus to lower his head and bring his hands down in anticipation to get underhooks). It helps with accuracy as well because he knows where his opponent's head will be this way.

It's how he landed it on O'Brien as well which also rocked his opponent. It made the difference here. For comparison

8.gif

11.gif

jones-100.gif

Don't know why some say Jon's is pure flash.

Wow, what a beautiful and deadly technique!

It's a lot harder to do than it looks.

20-chael-sonnen-swing-and-miss-best-sports-gifs-of-2012.gif

Spinning elbow has the highest point value among the strikes.

Look at the gif, he's clearly not as hurt as all the Jones fans are making it seem

Nowhere near close to getting finished and was mounting offence

Not gonna lie, when watching the fight at the bar i truly thought that jones had him a little worse and for a more extended period of time. Seeing the timer on the gif i actually don't agree with the judges at all. Ya he rocked Gus but gus defended himself and defended the takedowns. Gus 1,2,4

If Jones hadn't gone for that TD and had kept trying to land shots he might have been able to hurt him worse but instead Gus stuffed it and was given a couple seconds to recover. I was surprised that Jones decided to do that.

Bullshit, that was nothing

So much nothing that Gus split his own head open and ran away from absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

Retards are strong in the sherdog these days, was it like this after Shogun/Machida 1?

Great for Jones pulling that out the bag in the final stretch but I dont feel that sequence of shot warrants winning that round. Whilst it undoubtedly hurt Gus he never looked in danger of being finished, moves intelligently, blocks the majority of those shots (a couple with his head admittedly), stuffs a TD and throws Jones to the ground
10-10 round ideally or 10-9 Gus if we're forcing 10-9's.

This gif sequence should have resulted in Gus losing the win into a draw, not a loss. Not that it really matters, same outcome I suppose

I agree with this. The last thirty seconds of a round I believe are very overvalued by the judges.

Gus was so hurt he was unable to do anything in the 5th. Take off your fanboy hat. Realize jones won the last two rounds

Gus was so hurt he was unable to do anything in the 5th. Take off your fanboy hat. Realize jones won the last two rounds

That's good, you telling people to take their fanboy hat off.

If Jones hadn't gone for that TD and had kept trying to land shots he might have been able to hurt him worse but instead Gus stuffed it and was given a couple seconds to recover. I was surprised that Jones decided to do that.

Round was winding down and Gus was moving across the length of the cage to get time to recover and survive the round. I think Jones wanted to get ahold of him to keep him in one place and optimally get him down to land gnp or secure a sub.

That's good, you telling people to take their fanboy hat off.

Lol. Act like I'm a fanboy. It makes you feel better I'm sure. In the end I didnt care who won the fight because it was close. IMO rounds 1-3 were toss ups, and 4 and 5 jones clearly dominated.

Back