[GIF] The crucial moment where Alex loses the belt

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ughugh, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Ughugh

Ughugh Banned Banned

37 secs left on the 4:th. Alex is picking Jon apart and landing shot after shot. For a moment it looks like he's about to run away with it like he did against Shogun in the 3:rd. And then...

[​IMG]

"If only". I bet he must be going through this sequence in his mind once or twice in the coming months. Ouch.

Amazing heart to stop the TD and throw Jon to the mat at the end though.

2. TheVenom

TheVenom Black Belt

yeah, he definitely would have been champ, if not for that elbow. Jones did great in adjusting to AG's striking. Crazy that he was that close.

3. Break Brick

Break Brick Black Belt

Great for Jones pulling that out the bag in the final stretch but I dont feel that sequence of shot warrants winning that round. Whilst it undoubtedly hurt Gus he never looked in danger of being finished, moves intelligently, blocks the majority of those shots (a couple with his head admittedly), stuffs a TD and throws Jones to the ground
    10-10 round ideally or 10-9 Gus if we're forcing 10-9's.

This gif sequence should have resulted in Gus losing the win into a draw, not a loss. Not that it really matters, same outcome I suppose

4. Mr. Fresca

Mr. Fresca Thanks for playing

I don't see any other fighter in the LHW division surviving that to be honest. Gus's fight IQ to run instead of turtling like every other fighter in that position is something that truly can't be taught.

But yeah, unfortunately it still lost him that round and therefore the fight.

5. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

Yeeeeeh..... That did not warrant winning that round. Oh well they gave the fight to Jones though, too late now.

6. dfoster

dfoster Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Bullshit, that was nothing

7. The Renegade

The Renegade Silver Belt

I think it is pretty safe to say that the spinning elbow has officially jumped the shark. Cant see that working nearly as much for him in the future as it has in the past, he's simply used it too much. Kudos to Jones though for actually making a completely unutilized technique incredibly effective though while it could last.

8. MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius Green Belt

:icon_lol:

9. koquerelle

koquerelle Silver Belt

JBJ almost finished Gus. Of course it won him the round.

10. ch0rx

ch0rx Purple Belt

Gus123

11. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

Yeah, that was a pivotal moment. Say what you want about the barrage but it was the most significant offense of the round and possibly the fight.

Thought Gus had the round before it but not until about halfway through the round where he began to tee off until the action slowed again.

12. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

That IS what lost him the round(which did lose him the fight) but that's actually not as bad it seemed at the time. That round still could have gone to Gus.

13. crowded

crowded Red Belt

So close yet so far.

14. hto63

hto63 Brown Belt

The round was pretty close, Gus might have had a slight advantage until then but the end of the round was the closest anyone came to finishing the fight, the bell saved him from getting finished right there and then, let's be honest about this.

15. LampShade94

LampShade94 Brown Belt

Almost finished him? He avoided nearly every strike after the elbow, stuffed a takedown, and almost landed his own takedown.

You're overdoing it.

16. RyanRAW

RyanRAW ...

It was a very pivotal moment in the fight. It got Jones back into a fight after he was starting to get completely overwhelmed.

Not really. Almost finished is Edgar vs Maynard.

This is a guy who got stunned then intelligently defended himself without so much as losing his balance.

[​IMG]

^ That is nearly getting finished.

Jones deserves plenty of credit for easily landing the most damaging single strike of the fight, and being the closest to getting a finish. Hell sure yo ucan give Jones the round totally understandable.

But Gus was still there for every second and strikes that would have had him in position where he could be finished he did a great job defending even avoided the takedown and knocked Jones off balance with his own takedown attempt.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  17. soleprovider14

soleprovider14 Orange Belt

Having just rewatched the fight, I'm leaning more and more towards thinking Alex either won that round for two reasons:

1. The elbow did not inflict as much damage as I remember, and Alex was able to move away from Jones and stuff a TD. I don't think an elbow that comes at the very end of the fight, that doesn't drop someone or make them completely unable to defend themselves should give the round to the guy who was losing it up until then.

2. Big John warned Jones 3 times during the round to watch his fingers! On top of being officially warned in the first round, why did Big John not take a point away from Jones?

Gus definitely won 1 and 3, Jones won 5 and probably 2 (could've gone to Alex), 4 is the deciding factor and upon rewatching it, I'm less convinced that Jones should have been awarded the round.

18. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

When i first saw the fight i thought gus caught jones and threw him down, when watching that gif you can notice gus catches him, pushes him back, then gus uses his left foot to trip jones. Pretty slick for someone who was just "rocked" not to mention blocking those td's

19. Thesis

Thesis Shazbola

LOL

Almost finished?
    Yea, he like, dropped him HARD with that elbow...

Oh wait?

20. Mr. Fresca

Mr. Fresca Thanks for playing

Slight advantage? That was probably the most decisive round in the bag for Gus until the elbow. He was picking Jones apart up till then.