Gene Rychlak bombs at the Olympia

Gene did fall out his groove on that bench - but the weight didn't have to fall if the spotter on the right had done his job.

And I don't think he was faking and injury - Puffy H was an eyewitness and he said he hurt his spleen so I believe him.

Yeah, I would not be the least bit surprised if he got hurt. After all that was over 1000 lbs falling on his stomach. He's lucky it did not hit his short rib, that would have felt great.

CarnalSalvation said:
715 to be exact.

A guy on goheavy said Gene was notorious for faking injuries after missed lifts, I think it was JIm Parish. Not saying it's true, just saying it's be alleged by an ex training partner.

How much can Mendy do with a shirt?

btw, and I agree that shirts are shit.

I'm putting together Gene's next shirt. Just working on a way to sew this in:

Les-Leaf.gif

Cmart said:

Les-Leaf.gif
Heh. That'd tear his organs out.

CarnalSalvation said:
I think what really matters is that pr0n needs less bottle blondes with too much make-up on, and more latina whores with big fucking asses.

AMEN WOOOWEEEE YEAH

Cmart said:

Les-Leaf.gif
HAHAHAHAHA, that is classic man. I actually heard that Gene is going to get his arms amputated soon and have Robotic arms put on. He is also getting pec implants to lessen the range of motion. He is hoping to hit a 2400 total, (bench that is) by next Feb.

I would love to see some of you guys borrow Gene's shirt and get beneath 1000 lbs on a bench.

fuck thats got to hurt. the spotter should have done a better job to be honest and reacted quicker when his right arm started to fuck up.

personally im against shirts, as carnal says it undermines the sport and i really dont see the achievement in benching 300lbs more just because of a shirt, but thats just my view. if theres shirts for safety then i can see the point in thos but just to say you can bench 1000lbs, but only with your shirt sounds kind of pointless. (although i dont know much about shirts so)

The video was on another thread. He looked like clown with the sleeves right down his elbow. He could bench 2000 for all I care. Its fake as hell.

Duncon76 said:
http://media.putfile.com/BenchPress25

If that was a squat, there would have been more people around to save his ass, with the BP, like 2 or 3 people, WTF. no wonder why the bar almost went threw him...not good.
Yeah, Triple H was great on the mic though.

If The Game would have been spotting, his clean jerk bicep curl would have saved Gene's spleen!

nudge119 said:
I would love to see some of you guys borrow Gene's shirt and get beneath 1000 lbs on a bench.

Same here.

nudge119 said:

That's so far from the point it's not even funny.

nudge119 said:

I'd like to see Gene borrow my (normal under-armour) t-shirt that I wear to compete in and get under 1000 pounds on the bench.

I'd rather NOT be a gearwhore, but thanks for your interested anyways Nudge and RJKDLMNOP.

It seems like all people use a bench shirt for is to get a higher number, so what's the real point? It's not strength you can use. It kind of discredits a lift if you have to wear special gear just to complete it.

nudge119 said:
Honestly, I would be happy if all feds banned shirts, and eventually that may happen. But for now, people are just playing by the rules of the games. Sprinters wear special shoes that make them faster, pole-vaulters have special poles, and swimmers wear full bodysuits -and that's all legal in their sports.

The metaphor- at least the metaphor with swimmers- is flawed, I believe.

It's true that full body suits are faster than any other suit, but the difference (as I understand it) is that you actually change benching technique with those multi-ply or denim bench shirts- to accomodate the technology. This makes sense to me, too, since Rychlak once quoted his heaviest RAW lift in an interview and it was about 100 lbs. less than Mendelson's. In swimming, you don't change your technique depending on the suit. Michael Phelps would be the fastest swimmer in the world in a body suit or naked.

Also, until this latest generation of swim suits, the suits swimmers wore did not make them faster than they would have been naked. The latest generation actually makes you faster than you are in your bare skin, and this is a source of controversy in the swimming world, but at least until now, it wasn't like I put on my suit and swam 10 seconds faster than I would be able to naked. Suits were designed to match the streamline of the human body while maintaining modesty.

I don't like bench shirts. I think they're bad for the sport, because they always leave that "what if..."

Personally I don't "like" them either, but I won't for a minute give Gene anything but credit for being the best in world (by far) at what it is he does.

Everyone in the world has the same access to the same equipment and no one has come with in 100 lbs of Gene. Only one other man on the planet has even benched 900.

Most powerlifting federations permit shirts so you can't fault the individual lifters for using them. Do you see college baseball players using wooden bats because the don't want to cheat, or do see Mario Lemiux not using a curved stick because he feels it gives him an advantage?

People like to see big benches, long home runs, more goals scored in hockey, more touchdowns in football, so the powers that be in those sports change the rules to give the people what they want.

Bench shirts, moving the fences closer in baseball fields, two line passes, more restricitve rules for cornerbacks, its all the same thing.

I have never heard Gene claim that he is the strongest man in the world, or even the strongest bencher period. He simply claims what he is - the best shirted bencher ever. If anyone has heard him say something else - I would be interested to see it.

Gene is a blue-collar hard working guy like the vast majority of other powerlifters. If the fact that he can bench press 1000lbs allows him to earn a few extra dollars in a sport where the top guys get peanuts, then more power to him. When Gene won the 2004 Arnold Classic - he won $2500 - that didn't even cover paying his spotters and his travel to the event.

CarnalSalvation said:
I'd rather NOT be a gearwhore, but thanks for your interested anyways Nudge and RJKDLMNOP.

Haha, nice nickname carnalmasturbation.

Can you not say that Rychlak is not one of the top shirted benchers? Can you not say he is a great athlete who trains extremely hard, harder than 99% of the people on the board here? Probably harder than you?

Also, why is it only the huge guys get crap for shirted benching? There are plenty of smaller guys who get quite a bit out of a bench suit.

Saying a shirted bencher doesn't train as hard and that plenty of people would be benching high weights if they wore a shirt is the same as saying if I juiced I could be the next Ronnie Coleman and he isn't an athlete at all. Hell, steroids help you be bigger than you would be without them and people get injured using them all the time. Hell, a grand for juice and a shirt and 6 months training I could be a professional bencher.

Back