tumblr_ob8zacPjHg1tx8dnyo1_400.gif
is that Billy Graham?what is he doing?

It is simple

Small caloric deficit
Super super High protein
High fat
Low carb
Lift weights regularly and hard with a program

Lose most of his fat, gain a little muscle. While losing fat maintain high protein in a slight calorie deficit. I promise you he will hit 185lbs or so from there a water weight cut to 170lbs is dooable

But his time has passed anyways he wont have another peak
I agree. That's the recipe.
cut down *massively* on carbohydrates : alcohol / bread / potatoes / fries / tortillas : these are all OUT.

I think what the guy is gonna do is just continue on eating shit as he has always done, and then "hire a dietitian" the last 4 to 6 weeks before his next fight to try to make 170lbs and he will probably FAIL to hit 171lbs because he just will not change his shit 'eat crap' lifestyle. Going on a crash diet the last 4 or 5 weeks is not going to work. He needs a permanent and substantial BODYFAT reduction for the rest of his fight days.

The dude is (my view) lazy, he is overly comfortable, slobs around with family and his girl 90% of the time- he has no real ambition, too much cash, he will not change. That is my prediction.

One more thing : I think Sean Shelby or Mick Maynard have called him and said "one more loss and that's it -- you're cut. Do something drastic".

Nobody came close to what Gastelum did.

That said, it was still a losing effort. When your best performance in a division is a loss, I wouldn't consider that unreal.

He’s a 170 lb guy who doesn’t want to cut. Izzy couldn’t do shit to Jan when he went up to 205 for example.

He’s a 170 lb guy who doesn’t want to cut. Izzy couldn’t do shit to Jan when he went up to 205 for example.
I know. But it was still only 1 fight. I don't think he would do that well again in a rematch.

If we look at his MW career overall, it's still not that great.

I know. But it was still only 1 fight. I don't think he would do that well again in a rematch.

If we look at his MW career overall, it's still not that great.

Maybe he’s the Mexican Rocky then, except he doesn’t ever get the rematch with Creed?

Its a shame he struggles so much to put the burritos down. I like Mexican food alot too but you gotta avoid it sometimes Tamales, Tacos, Burritos, Molé, Enchiladas are high in calories. Most Mexican food has alot of carbs/fat too.

His weight is the only thing holding back his career imo.

If he could just lay off the Mexican food during camp he could be in contention at 170.

Hope he takes this dieting seriously.

I agree. That's the recipe.
cut down *massively* on carbohydrates : alcohol / bread / potatoes / fries / tortillas : these are all OUT.

I think what the guy is gonna do is just continue on eating shit as he has always done, and then "hire a dietitian" the last 4 to 6 weeks before his next fight to try to make 170lbs and he will probably FAIL to hit 171lbs because he just will not change his shit 'eat crap' lifestyle. Going on a crash diet the last 4 or 5 weeks is not going to work. He needs a permanent and substantial BODYFAT reduction for the rest of his fight days.

The dude is (my view) lazy, he is overly comfortable, slobs around with family and his girl 90% of the time- he has no real ambition, too much cash, he will not change. That is my prediction.

One more thing : I think Sean Shelby or Mick Maynard have called him and said "one more loss and that's it -- you're cut. Do something drastic".

Every fat fighter would of performed better if they were leaner and more conditioned.

Cormier
Fedor
Cain

All very good and champs but there are no down sides if they shed the fat. But naive fight fans dont want to admit that

Why?

Because many fans love the idea of the guy with a small gut, or who parties a lot and doesnt diet crazy being the baddest man. Fans also feel threatned by shredded fighters at times because MMA is the superior sport of all sports and being able to beat up another man truly shows your superiority to him (next to being taller, handsomer and having a bigger dick) from a genetic sense. So we feel a bravado in seeing Cain and Fedor being able to beat all bodybuilders etc but having a stomach but my point is they could of been even more optimum not carring a spare tire that is science

How often do we see people bashing jacked fighters on here or dieting? I swear this forum is filled with people who hate it. Now I know where they come from because I used to be this same way. I knew Fedor prime and Cain etc hit weights but I also loved that they didnt have abs and had some titty fat because it made me feel less self conscious about my similar phyisque and how I also trained so it is all good

It is the same delusion BJJ schools had and still have which is an aversion and dislike of strength training. Obessed with the idea of rhe undersized guy who is weaker winning via leverage

But when superior strength and decent enough skills meet Elite BJJ the end result is Elite BJJ being nuliffied (Sakuraba, Hughes, Coleman, Derrick just stand up Lewis, Lesnar etc)

I don't think its necessarily a waste of time, could be good for his body that he wasn't cutting all that weight these years. Robbie fought at 185 outside the UFC and only returned to 170 once he returned and he looked great. Then again Robbie was always in amazing shape regardless of the division while Gastelum has looked less disciplined over the years.
I mean, you basically said what I said lol. I'd love to see Kelvin go on a run at 170 but only if his weight is under control. If you miss weight you need to have a damn good reason why.

Let's be honest, he should go down to LW.

cliffs

- relaxing at Ali's house
- excited for GSP's Hall of Fame induction, has always admired him
- moving out to Arizona to get out of comfort zone, train with Henry Cejudo
- is going to start working harder to finish fights
- considering hiring dietician, will take time to cut down to welterweight, possibly returning next year
- excited to see how Henry can help him elevate his game to the next level
- predicts Ortega to win by submission (admits possible Mexican bias)

Too late burrito

He can be champ at 170, but he has said he would get serious about his weight before and it never materialized.

I don't know why anyone would need a dietician in the first place? It's really simple to eat lean protein, stay away from fat and carbs. It's not easy but it's simple. It's not like everyone doesn't know eating skinned chicken and vegetables are good for you, they just don't do it all the time because it doesn't taste as good as food that's bad for you. Paying someone a bunch of money to tell you what everyone knows doesn't make it easier to stick to a diet.

Wheres Mike dolce?the snake oil salesman?

Also f the fakers..

All those years he wasted at 185 when he could've just got his diet under control and probably had fought for the belt by now. He gave Izzy a good fight though.
And it only get's harder to lose weight the older he get's. As a fan it's frustrating. I guess if Aldo can fight at a lower division at his age, I'm sure Kelvin can do it, but time is ticking.

Honestly, it doesn't matter at this point. There is a murderer's row of fighters at 170. I wouldn't favor him beating anyone currently in the top 10.

Dude looks like he is over 20 percent BF at 185lb. He has a lot of power at 185lb but he is the weaker guy usually when grappling. Not a lot of guys are going to stand and bang with him since he almost knocked out Izzy. They will take him down and impose their will on him.

Back