Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Really bummed out about the whole x3d overheating thing, was very close to buy a new system with it.

This is a build I've been mulling over instead.

Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4
13700k + Thermalight Peerless Assassin 120m
Kingston Fury Beast DDR4-3200 16g x2
Solidgm P44 pro 1TB (OS+Game)
Teamgroup mp34 2TB
Montech Titan Gold 850w
Antec P20 Case

Suggestion and critique welcome.

I was told DDR5 is not worth it at the moment and even the faster DDR4 memory have negligible difference in terms of real world experience.

SteelSeries Rival 3 Gaming Mouse for $14 on Amazon

Last edited:
Any opinions on this monitor? I’ve been looking to switch to a 32inch 4k. Play everything from Cuphead to Resident Evil 4 to Overwatch.

Checked it out a few months back at Microcenter. For me the curve was too aggressive for the monitor width. 36"(?) version was the ideal size.

Checked it out a few months back at Microcenter. For me the curve was too aggressive for the monitor width. 36"(?) version was the ideal size.
Hmm, didn’t think about that. That is pretty aggressive. Might need to check it out in person first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZH1Q6TT?tag=rtings-mn-p-amazon-20&ie=UTF8

SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K UHD 165Hz

Any opinions on this monitor? I’ve been looking to switch to a 32inch 4k. Play everything from Cuphead to Resident Evil 4 to Overwatch.
1000R is way too aggressive.
seo_1634549323616d3e4b685ef7.30060077.jpeg

Compare it to the 28" version which is uncurved:
31fsEu9q8RL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

41m7R7FYPuL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I am a major lover of Samsung Odyssey G9 I have three of them4K and 5k but the LG 45 giving me a reason to switch. I like the superior height over the G9 like nearly 3 inches though it is not as wide but height for immersion is good. They just knocked the price down I think I have seen it now for 200 off. Oh the ARK is now down over 1,200 dollars but at 2000 still an expensive thing and over 100 lbs.

6530356_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Last edited:
SSD prices are hitting historical lows, but not for long.
SSD & Memory Manufacturers To Lower Production & Focus On Price Increases As Demand Slumps
So if you've been thinking about getting a new SSD, now is the time. We're seeing budget 1tb Sata drives hitting under $40. Even mid-tier 2tb NVME's are going for under $80.

2TB Silicon Power A55 2TB sata drive for $66 from Amazon.
Or a 2TB Silicon Power P34A60 2TB nvme drive for $68 on Amazon.

Both are on the lower end, but will be fine for game storage.

For comparison to mechanical drives, the 2tb WD Blue and the Seagate Barracuda are both at $50 on Amazon.

Last edited:
@Madmick 2 questions;

1. So I have undervolted my mobo to 1.2V no issues detected. New full version (not beta) of BIOS is out, should I still update it or its fine to just leave it like that?

2. Is the 4090 somewhat future proof as I am heavily considering it, relative performance of my current 1080 stands at 35% and all those fps benches in games looks very impressive. Would you recommend upgrading it or just wait for nex gen?

@Madmick 2 questions;

1. So I have undervolted my mobo to 1.2V no issues detected. New full version (not beta) of BIOS is out, should I still update it or its fine to just leave it like that?
I don't know whether the new BIOS is commendable. You should fire off some Googles to find others that own it that have tried it out sharing voltage & temp readouts. Considering the piece GamersNexus did on ASUS's disgraceful handling of this issue, recently, I wouldn't trust the BIOS at face value. Manually undervolting the EXPO profile sounds like it was the way to go from the discussions I skimmed in that Reddit thread I shared with you.
2. Is the 4090 somewhat future proof as I am heavily considering it, relative performance of my current 1080 stands at 35% and all those fps benches in games looks very impressive. Would you recommend upgrading it or just wait for nex gen?
I have answered this question a dozen times. No GPU is truly "future proof", they age too quickly. The 4090 is simply more powerful than the rest, and it has tons of VRAM, which has been NVIDIA's Achilles Heel (just see how many hardware reviewers came down on them hard for all the 8GB cards out there following the release window of Hogwarts Legacy). The best strategy to stay future proof is to buy a better bang-for-your-card today, then replace that in a generation or two, or most specifically when it no longer meets your demands.

To illustrate (the number in the parentheses is the relative 3DMark score of Buyer 2's GPU vs. Buyer 1's GPU)

NVIDIA BUYER 1:
2016: TITAN X Pascal = $1199 [DX12.1]
2019: "Future Proofed"
2023: "Future Proofed"

NVIDIA BUYER 2:
2016: GTX 1080 = $379 (-37%)
2019: RTX 2070 Super = $499 (+5%) [adds DX12.2 Ultimate, DLSS 2.0 support]
2023: RTX 4070 = $599 (+86%) [adds DLSS 3.0 support]

Buyer #2 spent +$277, but he only experienced a deficit for the first three years. In 2023 he has roughly double the raw card, and that's before you factor in the DLSS 3.0 advantage in games that support it. If we did this over two generations it could be the GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 3080, for example.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZH1Q6TT?tag=rtings-mn-p-amazon-20&ie=UTF8

SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K UHD 165Hz

I went with the Samsung G8 Oled and am generally happy. There are some quirks it has do to bad firmware but the picture quality is good. I think I am done with non-oled monitors for now on. OLED is just that much better at so many things.

I don't know whether the new BIOS is commendable. You should fire off some Googles to find others that own it that have tried it out without voltage & temp readouts. Considering the piece GamersNexus did on ASUS's disgraceful handling of this issue, recently, I wouldn't trust the BIOS at face value. Manually undervolting the EXPO profile sounds like it was the way to go from the discussions I skimmed in that Reddit thread I shared with you.

I have answered this question a dozen times. No GPU is truly "future proof", they age too quickly. The 4090 is simply more powerful than the rest, and it has tons of VRAM, which has been NVIDIA's Achilles Heel (just see how many hardware reviewers came down on them hard for all the 8GB cards out there following the release window of Hogwarts Legacy). The best strategy to stay future proof is to buy a better bang-for-your-card today, then replace that in a generation or two, or most specifically when it no longer meets your demands.

To illustrate (the number in the parentheses is the relative 3DMark score of Buyer 2's GPU vs. Buyer 1's GPU)

NVIDIA BUYER 1:

NVIDIA BUYER 2:

Buyer #2 spent +$277, but he only experienced a deficit for the first three years. In 2023 he has roughly double the raw card, and that's before you factor in the DLSS 3.0 advantage in games that support it. If we did this over two generations it could be the GTX 1080 and RTX 3080, for example.

I think a thing to take note of as well is that your developers are not going to go out of their way to polish up a game for your 4090, which is a small market share of all gamers. You have some companies already pulling back on ray tracing due to the effort not translating into more sales. This is the reason Cyberpunk is brought up over and over and over and over because there are not many games that run the card all out and are well optimized.

Well this is interesting deal.

"Amazon has put together an almost irresistible offer for those who are interested in acquiring one of Intel’s Core i9-12900K or Core i9-12900KF processors. The site is bundling a 280 GB Intel Optane drive with these powerful processors for ‘almost free’ – i.e. the bundle costs just $1 more than the processor on its own."

Well this is interesting deal.

"Amazon has put together an almost irresistible offer for those who are interested in acquiring one of Intel’s Core i9-12900K or Core i9-12900KF processors. The site is bundling a 280 GB Intel Optane drive with these powerful processors for ‘almost free’ – i.e. the bundle costs just $1 more than the processor on its own."

That's an insane deal, but I don't think bundling the SSD is going to sell more CPU's. Most people wouldn't know what an Optane drive is, and would just assume it's just like a $20 240gb SSD. It's still a kick ass boot drive, though.

Reactions: PEB
I don't know whether the new BIOS is commendable. You should fire off some Googles to find others that own it that have tried it out sharing voltage & temp readouts. Considering the piece GamersNexus did on ASUS's disgraceful handling of this issue, recently, I wouldn't trust the BIOS at face value. Manually undervolting the EXPO profile sounds like it was the way to go from the discussions I skimmed in that Reddit thread I shared with you.

NVIDIA BUYER 1:

NVIDIA BUYER 2:

Buyer #2 spent +$277, but he only experienced a deficit for the first three years. In 2023 he has roughly double the raw card, and that's before you factor in the DLSS 3.0 advantage in games that support it. If we did this over two generations it could be the GTX 1080 and RTX 3080, for example.

LOL...

Soooo I have a GTX 1070, RTX 2070 Super, and a RTX 3080 all in working condition, hit me up if you want a bargain on any one of these....

@Nameless King

well the 4060ti is out and lets just say its getting less than favorable reviews. sure it aint a 4k or 1440p card but it is actually getting outperformed by the 3060ti at 1440p and 4k, and sometimes to the 6700xt as well, which can be gotten for 50-70$ less.

DLSS 3 games aside, even at 1080p youre only getting like 13% more rasterization performance over a 3060ti. the 8 gb model is the same $399 price as the generation-old 3060ti, and the 16 GB model is $499

i would have expected it to at least be on par with a 3070ti, but it looks like this card falls flat. its a horrible generational leap. i wouldnt even call it a leap. its more like a hop. avoid this card like the plague lol.

Last edited:
i would have expected it to at least be on par with a 3070ti, but it looks like this card falls flat. its a horrible generational leap. i wouldnt even call it a leap. its more like a hop.
The cynic in me sees planned obsolescence in neon lights. Lose a few sales in the short term but force upgrades quicker.