Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

DAS keyboards are 15% off for Prime days
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Das+K...scsubtag=[]vg[e]21271909[r]google.com[t]w[d]D

If you want to upgrade your headphone game, the FX-Audio DAC-X6 Headphone DAC/Amp is $44 @Madmick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TW2JQNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
51Ovi-8Z1vL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Royal Kludge 60% keyboard with Oetemu Blue's are on sale for $42. It's highly regarded as a budget option by keyboard snobs.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mul...arch-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=402051011&th=1
613mXx-eezL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Evga selling b stock cards right now if you don’t care for refurb or blemish, just got a 2080 super black for 450 bucks. Got sick of trying to cop a used 1080ti for under 350.

Evga selling b stock cards right now if you don’t care for refurb or blemish, just got a 2080 super black for 450 bucks. Got sick of trying to cop a used 1080ti for under 350.

Wednesdays are usually the best day to check for EVGA B Stock cards, that's when they update their stock on the website and run the deals.

Wednesdays are usually the best day to check for EVGA B Stock cards, that's when they update their stock on the website and run the deals.
I think cuz of prime day they were doing shit today. Someone posted it to reddit pc sales. A lot of them for 200 bucks off. Last weds I set my alarm for 12 wed morning and the site crashed and the cheap 1080tis were gone instantly

decided to splurge on a k95 and 16gb ram.....only prime day deals im doing

Just received the MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS OC and I find it a little loud on idle compared to my 7 year old Asus R9 290.

Tried MSI Afterburner on both. New card runs at 41% fan speed. My old card runs at 20%. Those are the default speeds and the slider can't go any lower.

I tried adjusting the fan curve on the new card but even if I go lower it does nothing.

So I heard certain models have a 0 fan speed mode for when the card runs lower than a certain temperature, mine doesn't seem to have that.

Anyway, I was wondering if it's worth the hassle of returning the card and going for one of the other models or just suck it up and get used to it. And if I were to return it, which model would be best? Asus, Gigabyte, Evga, Zotac?

My gigabyte 1070 had 0 problems in 4 years but with all those brands you'll see people claim some are better and some are worse. All different opinions. All 4 you listed are solid though.

That looks awesome, I use one of these but the Lian-li one looks far more functional

81xQY7fogWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The one you posted looks like it would provide more support since it's closer to the glass, but the Lian Li one looks a lot more clean.

I wish companies would start releasing products without their brand slathered all over them.

I'm bummed. I noticed some of my 15 year old games started fps stuttering. I jumped through all the hoops until I tried running a virus scan. With the CPU hustling the pc reset. Today I tried playing Hitman in 4k and the game crashed.

I noticed the Event viewer has a bunch of these errors

sROraO9.png

I think my processor is dying. I opened up the case and blew out anything stuck to the fans and it didn't make a difference. I'm getting ~50c at idle, and 93c running a game.

I guess the last thing to try is unseat the heatsink and go buy some thermal paste and reseat it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I think my processor is dying. I opened up the case and blew out anything stuck to the fans and it didn't make a difference. I'm getting ~50c at idle, and 93c running a game.

I guess the last thing to try is unseat the heatsink and go buy some thermal paste and reseat it.

Oh, holy Christ, that needs to be addressed. That's not even within the defined "safe" thermal threshold for the CPU. Software errors aside, yes, you need to buy a new, better heatsink. Definitely could be this causing the software problems, but either way, it is your primary problem. Your thermal paste has probably dried and is cracking, so you could try simply buying thermal paste, and re-seating your current cooler, but it this depends on the quality of your cooler. While gaming from 75C-90C is acceptable, it isn't ideal. You really want to get that max under 75C, especially if you want to squeeze out as much life as possible from your CPU and motherboard.

Guru3D 2019 Thermal Paste Mega-Roundup: Air Cooling, 9900K, 5.0GHz
Top performer value, single use: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XHqbt6/thermal-grizzly-kryonaut-1g-1g-thermal-paste-tg-k-001-rs
Top performer value, multiple uses: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tgvRsY/gelid-solutions-thermal-paste-gcextreme
Cheapest Generic, multiple uses (if you don't care about several degrees): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6RrG3C/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g

Most CPU coolers come with a solid thermal paste included, though, and there won't be a massive difference from the best pastes. You could get that single use Kryonaut (confident you won't make a mistake) or the 3.5g Arctic Silver, both $6, or for the premium of one Andrew Jackson, you could get a Hyper 212 EVO right now, and the paste will come included. Just do your due diligence in checking that your case can fit it, and your motherboard can support its mounting brackets,. Per the latter, the Hyper 212 EVO is compatible with nearly every setup in existence from the past decade:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2
The marginally better Hyper 212 Black Edition is just a touch more at $30:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy...ck-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1
Above those, for just a bit more, the Reeven Justice or Scythe Mugen Max are the big value buys right now. With their constructions, they ought to be selling for $43+ alongside the other mid-price value monsters like the FSP Group Windale 6 or the Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct. The budget CPU cooler market is absolutely killer, right now. You're spoiled for choice.

Otherwise, you could always try to roll back to an earlier time with Windows restore. It sounds like a Windows update causes that ESENT error code, but you didn't mention recently updating to Windows 10. But, again, those thermals are unacceptable-- even for a CPU. Address that ASAP.

I'm bummed. I noticed some of my 15 year old games started fps stuttering. I jumped through all the hoops until I tried running a virus scan. With the CPU hustling the pc reset. Today I tried playing Hitman in 4k and the game crashed.

I noticed the Event viewer has a bunch of these errors

sROraO9.png

As Madmick said, buy some thermal paste. If you haven't applied thermal past before, I'd buy the Cooler Master MasterGel due to the applicator. You don't need the high end stuff for that processor.

I built this PC back in 2014(?) and put the cooler on back then; never been off since. Its a large aluminum cooler with a fan etc. I think the heatsink should be more than capable. When I was remodeling last year the computer got quite dusty. Theres a fine layer of construction dust on everything right now but not the fibrous, hairlike thick stuff that clogs fans and filters. I already dusted those and nothing changed. I will spray her out later today. Best buy opens in a few hours and I'll go buy the 1 paste they stock. Its Corsair brand...

I'm not too optimistic that this will resolve the stuttering I am seeing. I played Fall Guys in 4k for 20 mins and it was fine, I played Hitman in 4k for 20 mins and it was fine, until random crash. I play BF1942 in 4k daily and while it doesn't ever crash, it just started stuttering. Dropping from unlimited FPS to 15 when flying into large new terrain. I've clean reinstalled it several times, and cleared any GPU software settings that apply to individual programs. Also rolled back the driver just in case.

I don't know how I can check or see if the CPU is throttling. The loads aren't hitting 100%; although its hard to track with a 60 second history in Task Manager.

Sitting and browsing the internet this morning the temperature is averaging 46c with a range of 42-71. Ill load into a game in a moment and edit this.

Results: 250 FPS in BF1942 while using 15% CPU for 20 minutes. Max temp 65c

Shut the game off, ran antivirus full scan. Temperature shot up to 93c using 85%+ CPU

Paused antivirus scan, went back in game. FPS 250, temps 65c

Resumed Antivirus scan, and loaded game same time CPU usage maxed out, Antivirus crashed, then game crashed. Temps didn't rise, both crashed too quickly. Perhaps spiked and fell before I could check temp app.

Attempted to run antivirus scan alone, temps hit 90, antivirus crashed.

Attempted to run Sfc /scannow at 90C, pc bluescreened.

Restarted, temps at 65, sfc scannow is working. It completed and repaired files.

Re-running antivirus full scan. CPU usage hit 70%+ temps stable. Norton crashed.

Reinstalled Norton, scan much farther than normal in progress, no crashes. Temps up to 97c at 80% load.

My temp monitoring program is Realtemp 3.7 which reports the TJ Max is 105c. I guess there's no throttling under that

Last edited:
I blame Amazon

I was thinking maybe I should take this as a sign to upgrade my pc. I checked fry's website and they pretty much don't stock pc parts in store anymore. That means I can't walk in and price out a 10/10 build. When I built this PC back in 2014 it was like 3 50ft aisles of pc parts to pick from. Now their 5 local stores in So Cal have for example 2 ssds in store to see, 3 motherboards.

I checked Cyberpower and all their high end systems are delayed 4 weeks. The instant ship systems are not a huge spec improvement over what I have.

Looking for i9 10th, nvme ssd, 32gbs ram, gpu doesnt matter. I can use my old one until 3090 are available.