Game of thrones .

Game of Thrones has this reputation because of the first few seasons, but Winter is Here, and with it, way less tits.

Sorry, I mean fewer tits.

Also, there hasn't been a main character death since The Red Wedding, unless you count Stannis.

I don't know. I would count the following people as "main characters" at the time of their deaths:

Joffrey
Tywin
Stannis
Ramsay
Whole Tyrell Family
High Sparrow
Littlefinger

Keep in mind the importance and focus of characters in the show changed drastically as the seasons went on. The days of the Starks and Lannisters being the only focus of the show ended in season 1. Which is why someone like Rickon is not a notable death even though he was a Stark

I like the part where the wizard stabs the surface of a bridge that a magical Demon can’t cross.

I like to feel I have paid attention. I watched most episodes at least twice and some more because I enjoy it so much.

But i did not see the Red Wedding coming, at least not until right before.

What were the clear signs that Rob, et al were being betrayed? What did I miss?

Frey is a man who feels his family has been looked down upon by all of the other houses and is very bitter about it. He finally has a chance to raise his family up by marriage to a King. They were shooting down ravens because they suspected that Frey would report Robb's position to the Lannisters. They didn't want Robb to go to talk to Walder because they thought Walder might hold him hostage. Walder didn't really care who won or lost in the war as it didn't improve or worsen his, or his families position.

After Robb accepted the deal his mother made with Frey to get to cross the Trident, it was in Frey's interest that Robb succeed. When Robb married Talisa, it was yet another slap in the face to Walder Frey and he no longer had any reason to help Robb and every reason to want revenge. Tywin could give Walder what he wanted and Walder could have his revenge for years of disrespect. What would marriage to a Tully provide that the Lannisters couldn't top? Frey couldn't get his revenge unless he could get Robb to come to him. The wedding was the perfect excuse for Robb and company to be there.

You don't cross somebody then walk into a situation that allows them to get revenge. I didn't understand why Robb took Talisa to the wedding. Her being there was a further example of Robb's breaking of his oath. I haven't read the books but for the show, I thought that Robb would have to be an idiot to go there. I was certain something bad was going to happen.

Agreed. I'm not getting my hopes up for the final season, unfortunately.

After the long delay, I'm kind of ambivalent about even watching it as I expect to be disappointed.

I don't know. I would count the following people as "main characters" at the time of their deaths:

Joffrey
Tywin
Stannis
Ramsay
Whole Tyrell Family
High Sparrow
Littlefinger

Keep in mind the importance and focus of characters in the show changed drastically as the seasons went on. The days of the Starks and Lannisters being the only focus of the show ended in season 1. Which is why someone like Rickon is not a notable death even though he was a Stark

Main characters have always been Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Bran and Arya (and maybe Sansa).

Likes of Tywin, Robb, Ned, Stannis etc etc obviously were important too, but not in the same league as the others. The series is ultimately about the Stark/Lannister/Targaryan children.

Frey is a man who feels his family has been looked down upon by all of the other houses and is very bitter about it. He finally has a chance to raise his family up by marriage to a King. They were shooting down ravens because they suspected that Frey would report Robb's position to the Lannisters. They didn't want Robb to go to talk to Walder because they thought Walder might hold him hostage. Walder didn't really care who won or lost in the war as it didn't improve or worsen his, or his families position.

After Robb accepted the deal his mother made with Frey to get to cross the Trident, it was in Frey's interest that Robb succeed. When Robb married Talisa, it was yet another slap in the face to Walder Frey and he no longer had any reason to help Robb and every reason to want revenge. Tywin could give Walder what he wanted and Walder could have his revenge for years of disrespect. What would marriage to a Tully provide that the Lannisters couldn't top? Frey couldn't get his revenge unless he could get Robb to come to him. The wedding was the perfect excuse for Robb and company to be there.

You don't cross somebody then walk into a situation that allows them to get revenge. I didn't understand why Robb took Talisa to the wedding. Her being there was a further example of Robb's breaking of his oath. I haven't read the books but for the show, I thought that Robb would have to be an idiot to go there. I was certain something bad was going to happen.

OK. I guess. But for me Frey was always a wild card. HE was always bitter and looked down upon.

I would say it did not surprise me when Frey turned on them but I was not predicting it. In hindsight I can see it. But if you were you were a step ahead of me. I can say, without being a reader of the books that it was one of the most shocking and talked about things in the books. The people reading them did not see it coming. It was received with shock.

Main characters have always been Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Bran and Arya (and maybe Sansa).

Likes of Tywin, Robb, Ned, Stannis etc etc obviously were important too, but not in the same league as the others. The series is ultimately about the Stark/Lannister/Targaryan children.
Wut????

Tywin, RObb, Ned, Stannis were just 'important too, but not in the same league..."

That is just so wrong. The Story was about Ned and King Robert versus Cerei until she had them both killed. Tywin, ROb and Stannis were every bit as key as Jamie, Dany, and Tyrion and more so than Jon and Bran and Arya and Sansa until they died.

that is what has been great about GoT is that the main characters are actually vulnerable and die but that does not mean that the last one standing was in fact the only main character.

Wut????

Tywin, RObb, Ned, Stannis were just 'important too, but not in the same league..."

That is just so wrong. The Story was about Ned and King Robert versus Cerei until she had them both killed. Tywin, ROb and Stannis were every bit as key as Jamie, Dany, and Tyrion and more so than Jon and Bran and Arya and Sansa until they died.

that is what has been great about GoT is that the main characters are actually vulnerable and die but that does not mean that the last one standing was in fact the only main character.

Obviously not.....”until they died” is a pretty big asterisks.

More so than Jon? lol. This whole saga is basically his story.

There’s a reason the 5 principal adult actors were Tier 1 when it came to contract negotiations from S2 onward.

In hindsight, sure. At the time, Jon just seemed like a B player. I can't say I'd put him behind Stannis or Tywin though, who also seemed like cogs in the wheel(in terms of their screen time, not their actual positions within the show's world). Ned and Robb were two of the biggest characters in the show at the time of their deaths, so unless you read the books, I don't know how you could foresee what was going to ultimately happen to them. Their deaths were two of the most shocking and impactful moments in the series, because of how integral they were to the show.

In hindsight, sure. At the time, Jon just seemed like a B player. I can't say I'd put him behind Stannis or Tywin though, who also seemed like cogs in the wheel(in terms of their screen time, not their actual positions within the show's world). Ned and Robb were two of the biggest characters in the show at the time of their deaths, so unless you read the books, I don't know how you could foresee what was going to ultimately happen to them. Their deaths were two of the most shocking and impactful moments in the series, because of how integral they were to the show.

Personally thought it was obvious almost straight away that Jon was going to be the main player, tbh.

There’s a reason the 5 principal adult actors were Tier 1 when it came to contract negotiations from S2 onward.
Yes It's a big asterisk because you said they were NEVER the main characters. Until Ned and Rob died Jon was not a main character. They were the main characters. There was a transition after the fact and I am not denying that but those others were definately main characters until they died.

If you look at this story as several acts there have been many main characters and you cannot just say that the last one standing who is the intended ruler was the main character all along. That person can evolve. That person could not even exist in the show or books until several books in if the author chose to write it that way.

Personally thought it was obvious almost straight away that Jon was going to be the main player, tbh.
<DontBelieve1>

Unless you were reading the books or spoilers or are some crazy psychic this is impossible to believe.

Rob Stark looked to be far more to be inheriting the mantle. Jon was a very secondary, in the shadows character with even a lesser role to Theon.

I saw him eventually playing a bigger roll, but once Ned went down, I thought Robb was going to be carrying it for it's entirety.

Now Dany on the other hand, always seemed to be building to something huge. Jon just seemed like someone who would find his place at the the Wall, and eventually be a help to the main players. I didn't see him becoming the lead protagonist until it was made abundantly clear.

<DontBelieve1>

Unless you were reading the books or spoilers or are some crazy psychic this is impossible to believe.

Rob Stark looked to be far more to be inheriting the mantle. Jon was a very secondary, in the shadows character with even a lesser role to Theon.

When in the first episode every character makes it clear Jon is a “runt” it is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain he’s going to be important.

Sorry if you didn’t see it coming though.

When in the first episode every character makes it clear Jon is a “runt” it is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain he’s going to be important.

Sorry if you didn’t see it coming though.
haha. ya it was just me. Ya every character basically dismissed early must become the eventual star. That makes sense. Not.

I will start a thread on this and see if I am the only one that missed it. I think you will see you are pretty alone on that and more than likely the normal type of person who cannot separate their hindsight analysis from analysis at the time.

I saw him eventually playing a bigger roll, but once Ned went down, I thought Robb was going to be carrying it for it's entirety.

Now Dany on the other hand, always seemed to be building to something huge. Jon just seemed like someone who would find his place at the the Wall, and eventually be a help to the main players. I didn't see him becoming the lead protagonist until it was made abundantly clear.
Yup.

One of the reasons this series and the books were so well received was because GRRM did something rarely done before which was to start with and build featured characters who would all die off later allowing new characters to emerge. Dany was one of the only ones with a pretty clear arc that continued with lots of others(Rob, Stannis, etc) being used as decoys or fodder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back