Gamboa, Angulo, plus Kirkland Tonight on HBO

How are they going to build-up Gamboa.

This guy just overwhelmed a very solid and game fighter.

How much longer until he gets an elite world-class fighter.

Do you guys think Linares would overwhelm Gamboa?

from what i have seen of linares, he would dismantle gamboa; gamboa has talent and ability and a certain degree of toughness. But he seems to lack discipline, tech or ring intelligence, his biggest adv is natural ability and unique fighting style; but those things can be solved by a disciplined fighter, esp one who is mentally tough and physically gifted which linares is.

gamboa has alot of holes, linares can and will fill them

Nah, the signs are always obvious. If you read my training log I posted in there specific things I saw about Yuri at the Gym as to why he'd have problems tonight, and that came true. But it's not something someone with a good Boxing eye won't spot.

For guys like this to turn a corner, they do have to change things, and most of them are incapable, that's why they have wacky styles to begin with. Once they decline with age, or start to get complacent, they turn into slappers who are injury-proned and easy to hit.

see i was makin the same point about hamed in another thread; to extend their careers and really become the fighters their talent says they should; they have to things they are incapable or unwilling to do IN a fight. So once they get figured out, or sstart to slip due to poor preparation or age, they end up getting roasted. As hamed did when barrera pounded him out....

as far as guzman, his style and lack of power will hurt him at a higher weight where he can't dissuade people w/his shots and lack of physical strength will lead to him getting bullied and walked down; he is good enough to compete and beat a few guys, he is that good. But if he isn't on top of his game and stops coasting on talent/instinct he wont be able to overcome the size strength and durability discrepancies

Fight fans get to caught up in "unbeatable fighter." Ya theres guys out there that can beat him, but you got to respect a fighter that has all the skills and talent in the world and fights like he does.

Believe me, Gamboa could easily Mayweather his way to an easy UD every time but he puts it on the line like a warrior and fights like he has nothing to lose.

Why should we believe you about that?

from what i have seen of linares, he would dismantle gamboa; gamboa has talent and ability and a certain degree of toughness. But he seems to lack discipline, tech or ring intelligence, his biggest adv is natural ability and unique fighting style; but those things can be solved by a disciplined fighter, esp one who is mentally tough and physically gifted which linares is.

gamboa has alot of holes, linares can and will fill them

why is every one so quick to be so negative yes he was lack discipline with his hands , but his work ethic is incredible and his foot work and his hand speed are up there with anyone .

the Jose Rojas fight will be another good test maybe this fight was a good thing for gamboa and he will learn from it .

He reminds me of a black, 154 pound Juan Urango, quite frankly.

That's a pretty big-time comparison. I have no clue as to what happened last night, so I'm sifting through this thread now.

Ann Wolfe could probably kick Kirkland's ass. She looks bigger than him.

Anne Wolfe is one woman I WOULDN'T want mad at me. I saw a video of her pounding tires with a sledgehammer and was frightened by her size and strength.

Sounds like a pretty good win for Gamboa, but Kabuki called it when he said that Gamboa would have a tougher time than most expected. Based on what I read, sounds like he has some work to do before he gets in with thje top-level guys.

I honestly dont think Linares would destroy Gamboa.

We all know Gamboa is still quite raw but his speed is world-class in his division.

Couldnt he do what he did to Jimenez, throw combinations and than step out. Obviously, Gamboa wouldnt shutout Linares and Linares would obviously make him pay moreso than Jimenez but I think the fight would be alot closer than some people are suggesting.

WTF? Linares is a proven Fighter on the World Level. I swear one group of writers hype a guy and everyone buys it.

Every liability Yuri has plays into Linares' best attributes.

Linares is wise beyond his years. 4 years younger than Gamboa. He's pretty damn good already and I feel he has yet to evolve completely. He hasn't hit his peak yet.

As for Gamboa, I hope he can tune up his defense and mental makeup. Got to be the most physically gifted of all the prospects, but I have a feeling that he might reach his peak soon. I am just worried about the adaptation of his style. I hope it is possible to alter some aspects of his game before he reaches the top level.

And Kirkland... I think at this time, he can take a title. Vernon and Verno are too old to deal with his pressure. I am more reserved with him fighting Dzinziruk or Alcine. Dzinziruk definitely beats him. And I believe Alcine is tough enough to weather the storm and drown him in the late rounds.

WTF? Linares is a proven Fighter on the World Level. I swear one group of writers hype a guy and everyone buys it.

Every liability Yuri has plays into Linares' best attributes.

i can still remember that thread where people were criticizing me for staying off the Gamboa bandwagon. But hype always finds a way to cloud judgment and logic. I'm not writing the guy off but i'm still waiting for him to prove that he's not another Cuban amateur star who gets swallowed up in the pros.

Yeah, he still has some work to do. By the way, he fired his whole team after the fight last night. Geez.....

And Kirkland... I think at this time, he can take a title. Vernon and Verno are too old to deal with his pressure. I am more reserved with him fighting Dzinziruk or Alcine. Dzinziruk definitely beats him. And I believe Alcine is tough enough to weather the storm and drown him in the late rounds.

c/s

I think it means Co signed.And I still dont know why did they have to wipe gamboa's tongue

I am still not all up into this internet jargon/acronym crap. Explain yourself, man!

cosign-i agree-i am cosigning your statement

i think kirkland is a beast physically, his strength power explosiveness and physicality/agression is just gonna be a bit much to deal w/for forrest or phillips, who are very exp and well schooled boxers; but guys who are a little bit past their primes physically. I don't think they have the conditioning, durability to stand up to assault kirkland will hit them w/; i just don't feel they have the firepower to keep him off them or the toughness to absorb his best long enough to take him in deep waters.

Back