Gamboa, Angulo, plus Kirkland Tonight on HBO

Come now. It's not ONLY a matter of keeping hands up. How many guys have we seen with this style get handled? They do this crap because of deficiencies in certain areas. It's not like if they magically boxed conventional they'd be invincible. Yuri's style is based on pure athleticism, like many before him.

His style needs working. He works like Zab Judah and I don't like it. He can still throw those sharp speed punches, but throw straight punches. Don't pull back with your hands down. Keep the combinations short and spin out with your hands up.

But all of you guys have to admit this guy has all the talent in the world. More so than Zab Judah before he met Kostya Tsyzu.

But all of you guys have to admit this guy has all the talent in the world. More so than Zab Judah before he met Kostya Tsyzu.

What?

No we absolutely DON'T have to admit that. There's nothing that suggests such a statement. Zab actually beat a slick Southpaw over a 12 round fight, on the World level, and he did that with a combination of skill and talent.

Yuri is plenty talented, but not THAT talented. I don't think he's faster than Zab, nor do I think he hits as hard/has a single punch equivalent to Zab's left.

Good win for Gamboa.. but like I said.. he aint ready for the top dogs.. JMM would have beatin him tonight.. he needs to balance his game up before stepping up again

What?

No we absolutely DON'T have to admit that. There's nothing that suggests such a statement. Zab actually beat a slick Southpaw over a 12 round fight, on the World level, and he did that with a combination of skill and talent.

Yuri is plenty talented, but not THAT talented. I don't think he's faster than Zab, nor do I think he hits as hard/has a single punch equivalent to Zab's left.

c/s

lets give zab some credit; he might not have been all that he could be, but he was def better than alot of people were....

yuri is very talented has alot of potential; but not like judah, if he was more like judah..esp at this early stage of his career he would have killed this guy; when judah was under duva he was much more consistent and a finisher

if he has half the career of judah, hit will be a good career for him; judah was a multiple titilist and at one point the unified champ at 147

What did we figure out tonight?

Kirkland is a monster.

Angulo looks like he is going to be someone for sure. Reacts well against adversity and a closer. Most impressive fighter of tonight.

Gamboa? One of the most physically talented fighters I have seen since a young Zab Judah. However, he has similar habits like Judah, but he reacted better so far being hurt. He is like a combination of judah, meltrick taylor, and Tyson. He moves like a Judah and relies a lot of his speed. He has lighting quick hands and throw beautiful combos like Meldrick Taylor. And like Tyson he tenacious and confident in his abilities. But his KO record as of now is augmented by weak competition. I have a feeling as he steps up, his KO percentage will go down.

What?

He doesn't have that single hard shot like Zab. Like I said, his KO percentage is going to take a big dip as he goes on. But he is a better combination puncher. And he has the killer instinct. Not that zab doesn't have that, but I have a good feeling Gamboa won't yield and fold under tremendous pressure. Also he has really good stamina.

He doesn't have that single hard shot like Zab. Like I said, his KO percentage is going to take a big dip as he goes on. But he is a better combination puncher. And he has the killer instinct. Not that zab doesn't have that, but I have a good feeling Gamboa won't yield and fold under tremendous pressure. Also he has really good stamina.

He might, he might not. He's unproven, and that's all people need to admit. He's NOT a combination of XYZ Great Fighters, he's himself, and he's hardly unusual. Pac smoking Barrera was unusual. Naseem Hamed's power was unusual. Jorge Linares's skill at his age (5 years younger than Gamboa) is unusual. Wilfred Benitez's performance against Cervantes at 17 years of age was unusual.

Like I said Yuri's talent is certain, he's got good foot-speed, excellent timing when he's on the offensive, decent pop, and decent hand-speed. Does he do anything exceptionally? Not sure. He might prove to be exceptionally consistent, but it remains to be seen. So far Joan Guzman has proven to be consistent with the exact same style, but there are those who believe even his days are numbered, and that he would have been smoked by Katsidis had he not broken his hand.

And they've good reasons to believe it.

He might, he might not. He's unproven, and that's all people need to admit. He's NOT a combination of XYZ Great Fighters, he's himself, and he's hardly unusual. Pac smoking Barrera was unusual. Naseem Hamed's power was unusual. Jorge Linares's skill at his age (5 years younger than Gamboa) is unusual. Wilfred Benitez's performance against Cervantes at 17 years of age was unusual.

Like I said Yuri's talent is certain, he's got good foot-speed, excellent timing when he's on the offensive, decent pop, and decent hand-speed. Does he do anything exceptionally? Not sure. He might prove to be exceptionally consistent, but it remains to be seen. So far Joan Guzman has proven to be consistent with the exact same style, but there are those who believe even his days are numbered, and that he would have been smoked by Katsidis had he not broken his hand.

You got news on Joan Guzman? I knew he had a tough fight against Barrios, but I thought that was the testament of Barrios toughness.

You got news on Joan Guzman? I knew he had a tough fight against Barrios, but I thought that was the testament of Barrios toughness.

Last I saw him in-person he was running with Argenis Mendez's Camp. But they typically train over at Floyd's place and I don't go there. I'm not sure if he and Floyd Sr. still work together or not, if not then I feel that's bad for Joan because Floyd is a conditioning Nazi and Joan has a bad habit of getting fat before Fights. He's light-hearted about it, though...he once told Wes Ferguson:

"I one-hundred fotty sebeng before fight, I HAPPY!"

I am want to know why Joan Guzman's days are over. I didn't see his last two fights, but I heard he beat Soto and Davis quite convincingly.

I am want to know why Joan Guzman's days are over. I didn't see his last two fights, but I heard he beat Soto and Davis quite convincingly.

Soto and Davis are good, sturdy competition, but hardly Elite of their divisions. Guys with the Guzman/Gamboa style always have the same problems, you take range away from them and land back, they get beaten up.

Plus the weight issue, and Yuri might have that same issue. Izquierdo did as well.

Soto and Davis are good, sturdy competition, but hardly Elite of their divisions. Guys with the Guzman/Gamboa style always have the same problems, you take range away from them and land back, they get beaten up.

Plus the weight issue, and Yuri might have that same issue. Izquierdo did as well.

I thought you knew something definitive. Like you actually saw his decline in camp or something. I knew about Guzman's weight problems for quite some time and yes, at his age, it's going to affect him. And it is true about all athletic fencers. Probably why an aggressive fighter like Barrios gave Guzman problems.

I thought you knew something definitive. Like you actually saw his decline in camp or something. I knew about Guzman's weight problems for quite some time and yes, at his age, it's going to affect him. And it is true about all athletic fencers. Probably why an aggressive fighter like Barrios gave Guzman problems.

Nah, the signs are always obvious. If you read my training log I posted in there specific things I saw about Yuri at the Gym as to why he'd have problems tonight, and that came true. But it's not something someone with a good Boxing eye won't spot.

For guys like this to turn a corner, they do have to change things, and most of them are incapable, that's why they have wacky styles to begin with. Once they decline with age, or start to get complacent, they turn into slappers who are injury-proned and easy to hit.

How are they going to build-up Gamboa.

This guy just overwhelmed a very solid and game fighter.

How much longer until he gets an elite world-class fighter.

Do you guys think Linares would overwhelm Gamboa?

Linares would beat him silly, yes.

Back