Gall Was Set Up To Fail Twice By The UFC...

Photographer, CM Punk and Sage.

Really thrown to the Wolves lol

ed2f2f00-c9ee-11e5-b023-e155f21393df_gall.jpg
Keyser_S%C3%B6ze_-_photo.jpg

Not saying Mickey is Kaiser Soze, but he sure played the UFC like a fiddle.

A brown belt in BJJ with two professional wins already under his belt... I mean, he might not be the most experienced MMA guy around, but those two things alone made him a whole hell of a lot more experienced than Punk. Not to mention he'd been training this stuff since he was a kid, whereas CM Punk had done absolutely nothing combat-related in his life. Punk didn't even play sports in fucking high school for crying out loud.
NO YOU FOOL, according to the TS the UFC should have given Punk a top 5 guy, otherwise they wanted the guy to lose.

<36>

Him versus CM Punk was as close to a lock as you can get in this sport...

He wasn't set up to fail against CM Punk, he was pretty much guaranteed to beat the absolute shit out of him
Yeah, and after we saw him tool Sage tonight, I think Dana asked around for the best virgin 170'er and set up 'Looking For A Fight' around him while trying to make it seem by chance. Like with James Tony, Dana likes making examples out of people that want to jump into UFC. Even with Brock getting ex champ Mir in his second ever pro fight, it was an obvious stylistic set up (bjj vs wrestler) so Brock would be made to look like a fool and help elevate the legitimacy of the UFC and Dana's motto of "So you want to be a fucking fighter, ya goof?".

Him versus CM Punk was as close to a lock as you can get in this sport...

Yet it still was not the outcome that the UFC wanted.

The UFC was testing out what kind of a draw Punk would be. They paid him big. The idea being that they might really be able to get some money made out of Punk.

That was not the position Gall was in.

He was the patsy, or the "jobber" in this instance.

Were you on this board before the Punk-Gall fight?

Did the UFC pay Punk $500,000 grand for his first UFC fight? Or something like that.

They hyped the hell out of Punk. A lot of people ate it up. I was one of them at the time.

Again, Gall was chosen for that fight because he was young, new to the big stage and the UFC was hoping he'd turtle under the bright lights.

But he didn't. Plan derailed.
The UFC did pay him that but that was because people from WWE were tuning in to watch. You can't expect an untrained 36 year old dude to just get in there with a 24 year old kid and spark the kid up. We all just tuned in to see how he would do, I don't think most people really thought he'd win.

This kid Gall is good man, he just beat Sage who I thought had massive potential.

The UFC did pay him that but that was because people from WWE were tuning in to watch. You can't expect an untrained 36 year old dude to just get in there with a 24 year old kid and spark the kid up. We all just tuned in to see how he would do, I don't think most people really thought he'd win.

This kid Gall is good man, he just beat Sage who I thought had massive potential.

Gall IS good. But he was not the fighter that the UFC wanted to win in either Punk/Gall or Sage/Gall.

I think Gall may be a lot better than the UFC realized he was.

Credit to him.

I'll say this about Gall:

- He's tough
- He isn't afraid
- He is a pretzel if he gets a hold of you

He has plenty of room to grow. But the kid has "it." And he can fight.
And he also has tremendous tenacity and a great long type of body for post USADA MMA, like Magny, TFerg, Jones or Diaz (long lean cardio machine). Sage's muscles clearly gas him the f out and since guys cant take EPO anymore, you see what happened to Kennedy the other night or Hector in every fight. It's funny that guys ant to gt all ripped when it really adds no power, takes away flexibilty, cardio and just takes a shit load of time, time that could be spent on training.

Still, I think Mickey is gonna have a bear of time out there with blackbelts like Maia, Nelson, Cerrone etc. And at 55, if he can make it, you got Burns, Khabib, Ferg and Rustam; guys that will outgrapple him as there are levels to this shit. He had a great first showing against a real UFC fighter tho and clearly has a fighters mentality.

Still, I think Mickey is gonna have a bear of time out there with blackbelts like Maia, Nelson, Cerrone etc. And at 55, if he can make it, you got Burns, Khabib, Ferg and Rustam; guys that will outgrapple him as there are levels to this shit. He had a great first showing against a real UFC fighter tho and clearly has a fighters mentality.

Totally agree. This kid is a real fighter and has a real fighter's heart.

He has to keep working. But he is young, he has courage, and he has a lot of ability on the ground and with subs.

Hope he does well.

Yet it still was not the outcome that the UFC wanted.

The UFC was testing out what kind of a draw Punk would be. They paid him big. The idea being that they might really be able to get some money made out of Punk.

That was not the position Gall was in.

He was the patsy, or the "jobber" in this instance.

Honestly I think CM was the jobber. Dana saw Micky had some charisma and was good on the mic (was awful tonight) and figured let him build himself up by beating the shit out of and strangling this old pro-wrestler. Dana knows this business, and I don't think there was any part of him that thought CM had a shot.

Honestly I think CM was the jobber. Dana saw Micky had some charisma and was good on the mic (was awful tonight) and figured let him build himself up by beating the shit out of and strangling this old pro-wrestler. Dana knows this business, and I don't think there was any part of him that thought CM had a shot.

It's possible. But I don't think so. I understand what people are saying when they say "Dana likes to make non-fighters look bad" and so on.

But they invested a lot in Punk. They were testing his drawing ability.

Someone suggested that Gall might have also been getting a possible push in the fight, in case Punk lost. Maybe that's true. I still think that the UFC wanted Punk to win, or at least look a lot better than Gall allowed him to look.

Punk could have been Baby Brock if he won. Another WWE transfer who showed he can really fight. Gall was the skinny, young kid who was being led to his doom.

Then Punk ran across the ring like a fool and --- BOOM --- hype train gone. LOL!

<32>

I see what TS is trying to get at even though he is incorrect. Yeah, the UFC would have loved Punk to win, that being said Gall was still a huge favorite in that fight (There were way worse opponents they could have found to fight Punk btw)

Plus, Gall's standup looked awful. And technically we're not totally sure his ground game is really that great. Gall is 4-0, his first 3 opponents have 0 pro wins between them. Sage was the first fighter he fought that has ever won a pro fight and we all know Sage's biggest weakness is his ground game

I see what TS is trying to get at even though he is incorrect. Yeah, the UFC would have loved Punk to win, that being said Gall was still a huge favorite in that fight (There were way worse opponents they could have found to fight Punk btw)

Plus, Gall's standup looked awful. And technically we're not totally sure his ground game is really that great. Gall is 4-0, his first 3 opponents have 0 pro wins between them. Sage was the first fighter he fought that has ever won a pro fight and we all know Sage's biggest weakness is his ground game

He did clip Sage with a nice roundhouse right hand.

Kid has plenty to work on. But you can't teach heart or confidence, and he has both.

...and he went 2-0, while derailing two hype trains in the process.

I'm really starting to like this kid.

The guy can fight. He really can.
Actually they picked pitted him against a celebrity in hope they could make a name for him. CM Punk was not the favorite. Never was. Never will be. They used his name as a marketing ploy in hope that the kid turns into a champion one day. It is called learning how to make more money off your fighters.

The UFC hoped Punk would succeed. Why did they invest in him otherwise?

Gall wasn't chosen by accident for the Punk fight.

And let's be honest here, does anyone seriously think the UFC wanted Gall to beat Sage? Let's be real.
Yeah, it kinda goes both ways. Gall got a money fight, like Petruzelli stepping in to face Kimbo. You're facing a guy who can barely fight, but has huge name recognition. That said, the UFC definitely chose Gall because they thought he was the weakest link. If they could have let Punk fight that guy with no limbs they would have.

That said, the UFC definitely chose Gall because they thought he was the weakest link. If they could have let Punk fight that guy with no limbs they would have.

You are correct sir.

That's my point.

Back