Gall Was Set Up To Fail Twice By The UFC...

Definitely a fan now. Liked his post fight interview too. Sounds like he has a pretty clear idea what his most successful path forward is, and he's gonna use the Conor/Secret deal of just saying it out loud, often enough and with enough conviction, to make it happen.

He better try that cut to 155 a time or two first though...

Gall IS good. But he was not the fighter that the UFC wanted to win in either Punk/Gall or Sage/Gall.

I think Gall may be a lot better than the UFC realized he was.

Credit to him.
I agree with you there. But they're gonna market the shit out of Gall now lol. They were definitely rooting for his opponents though 100%

...and he went 2-0, while derailing two hype trains in the process.

I'm really starting to like this kid.

The guy can fight. He really can.

He can grapple. He hasn't been tested on the feet

Actually they picked pitted him against a celebrity in hope they could make a name for him. CM Punk was not the favorite. Never was. Never will be. They used his name as a marketing ploy in hope that the kid turns into a champion one day. It is called learning how to make more money off your fighters.

Isn't the UFC supposed to be the superbowl of MMA? They aren't supposed to build up 1-0 prospects like Mickey Gall before his first fight at UFC Fight Night 82.

Gall was brought in because the UFC needed a low level fighter for the likes of CM Punk. Zuffa at the time was hurting because Lesnar left and liked the attention that CM Punk brought with him. Whether or not they were desperate to try anything or willing to dabble with no-experience-needed celebrity fighters at the cost of discrediting their brand name, Gall wasn't brought in to win.

Really? Have you seen the guys throw at Sage Northcutt? Those guys are straight up worse than anything Gall has faced.
Worse than CM Punk? Those guys would trash CM Punk. Punk is nothing.
Were you on this board before the Punk-Gall fight?

Did the UFC pay Punk $500,000 grand for his first UFC fight? Or something like that.

They hyped the hell out of Punk. A lot of people ate it up. I was one of them at the time
You believed in CM Punk?! You are exposing yourself man!

I don't think so. Those were fair fights.

He may want to improve his stand up before he calls out any champions like he wants. He's good on the ground but his standup is way too raw

The UFC hoped Punk would succeed. Why did they invest in him otherwise?

Gall wasn't chosen by accident for the Punk fight.

And let's be honest here, does anyone seriously think the UFC wanted Gall to beat Sage? Let's be real.
They new Punk was a bust and used him to elevate a potential young star

No he definitely was set up to fail.

I'm not saying that it made sense Punk would win, but they wanted someone young and inexperienced as the opponent for Punk.

I don't think you know what set up means.... that's not what set uo means....

And he also has tremendous tenacity and a great long type of body for post USADA MMA, like Magny, TFerg, Jones or Diaz (long lean cardio machine). Sage's muscles clearly gas him the f out and since guys cant take EPO anymore, you see what happened to Kennedy the other night or Hector in every fight. It's funny that guys ant to gt all ripped when it really adds no power, takes away flexibilty, cardio and just takes a shit load of time, time that could be spent on training.

Still, I think Mickey is gonna have a bear of time out there with blackbelts like Maia, Nelson, Cerrone etc. And at 55, if he can make it, you got Burns, Khabib, Ferg and Rustam; guys that will outgrapple him as there are levels to this shit. He had a great first showing against a real UFC fighter tho and clearly has a fighters mentality.

Lifting weights is useless for any combat sport imo. I've said this since I Became a fan of boxing in the late 90's.

Speed training coupled with running and wrestling/grappling and striking choreography/sparring is all that should be training.

Wrestling/clinching/grappling will build functional strength way more than lifting weights.

Russian wrestlers do more wrestling than any other workout and look at their success.

It's the best resistance training one can do for mma. Not only do you build functional strength, you build it while practicing technique and familiarity with with your opponents body.

Fight should have never happened... 2 up and coming fighters.. one who wants to stand and cant grapple and one who wants to grapple and cant stand..

He was set up to fail by being given everything he asked for? Two fights against no hopers who don't know what they're doing?

After reding this thread I have one conclusion.

FedorRoks is someone who gets it. <cheer>

Yeah, and after we saw him tool Sage tonight, I think Dana asked around for the best virgin 170'er and set up 'Looking For A Fight' around him while trying to make it seem by chance. Like with James Tony, Dana likes making examples out of people that want to jump into UFC. Even with Brock getting ex champ Mir in his second ever pro fight, it was an obvious stylistic set up (bjj vs wrestler) so Brock would be made to look like a fool and help elevate the legitimacy of the UFC and Dana's motto of "So you want to be a fucking fighter, ya goof?".

Exactly, Brock/Mir was basically a squash match the first time around and Brock just got lucky in the rematch tbqh

TS obviously doesn't know what "set up to fail" means.

Its actually the opposite as they let him hand pick his opponents. Who else gets to do that after 1 fight? Stann even pursued it and insisted he call someone out. All UFC has to do is pick someone with solid TDD and he is derailed

...and he went 2-0, while derailing two hype trains in the process.

I'm really starting to like this kid.

The guy can fight. He really can.

Fuck his cocky bitch ass. He's a trashy jersey fuck

He's nothing but a can crushing cannier cans

That's why he wants to do a murder cut to 155 when he's over 6 feet tall.

He knows the top 10 ww will bend him over

Too bad the top 10 lw will do the same

He might wanna try and become the next hype train with a few more cans before he starts talking shit about serious fighters

Oh yea, he called out outlaw

Can't wait for him to get starched

Back