Gall Was Set Up To Fail Twice By The UFC...

FedorRoks

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
...and he went 2-0, while derailing two hype trains in the process.

I'm really starting to like this kid.

The guy can fight. He really can.

He wasn't set up to fail against CM Punk, he was pretty much guaranteed to beat the absolute shit out of him

Gall has been given the easiest three fight win streak in UFC history.

This is not an exaggeration.you cannot find three worse fighters on the roster

He was set up to lose by giving him an extremely easy high profile fight against CM Punk, or by giving him the fight he asked for?

How was he set up to fail? They gave him the fights he asked for. He called out those specific fighters for a good reason, because he knew he could beat them.

If anything he should consider himself lucky that they're allowing some nobody to play matchmaker.

Two hype trains is BS. Every educated fan and even WWE noobs that I talked to knew that CM Punk was going to get his ass kicked.

He wasn't set up to fail against CM Punk, he was pretty much guaranteed to beat the absolute shit out of him

No he definitely was set up to fail.

I'm not saying that it made sense Punk would win, but they wanted someone young and inexperienced as the opponent for Punk.

even WWE noobs that I talked to knew that CM Punk was going to get his ass kicked.

The UFC hoped Punk would succeed. Why did they invest in him otherwise?

Gall wasn't chosen by accident for the Punk fight.

And let's be honest here, does anyone seriously think the UFC wanted Gall to beat Sage? Let's be real.

No he definitely was set up to fail.

I'm not saying that it made sense Punk would win, but they wanted someone young and inexperienced as the opponent.
So you mean the UFC wanted him to lose; that is true. But he benefited from it.

Edit: I'd say being set up to lose was someone they expected you to have no chance against. Like Nagata who's only two fights were Pride Fedor and Cro Cop. Now that is set up to lose

Last edited:
So you mean the UFC wanted him to lose; that is true. But he benefited from it.

And that's my point.

The kid went against the script that the UFC wanted to write. Twice.

I love that.

He was the patsy that fought back.

The UFC hoped Punk would succeed. Why did they invest in him otherwise?

Gall wasn't chosen by accident for the Punk fight.

And let's be honest here, does anyone seriously think the UFC wanted Gall to beat Sage? Let's be real.

Of course they hoped he would win, just like I hope I win the lottery. It doesn't mean that they realistically thought he would. Punk was always a freakshow that they could milk for a few fights maximum, like James Toney.

When you say hype train it is implied that many people think a fighter is going to make a big impact in the sport, and no one ever had those expectations about Punk.

Of course they hoped he would win, just like I hope I win the lottery. It doesn't mean that they realistically thought he would. Punk was always a freakshow that they could milk for a few fights maximum, like James Toney.

When you say hype train it is implied that many people think a fighter is going to make a big impact in the sport, and no one ever had those expectations about Punk.

A hype train is someone who is hyped. They don't have to be good. Like Sage or Paige. It only implies that people have bought (or want to buy) the hype, whether that hype is warranted or not.

Gall beat two people whom the UFC hoped would defeat him. I like that.

Beats CM Punk.. anyone does that. Then asks for Sage who was recently tapped by someone on short notice. Chokes him out, and now he's calling out a retired fighter. He just wants to fight recognizable names that are stylistically easy. It's smart on his part, but not worth a hype train.

...and he went 2-0, while derailing two hype trains in the process.

I'm really starting to like this kid.

The guy can fight. He really can.
How the fuck was CM Punk a hype train?

Gall shows why the UFC is better off using Silva and Shelby as matchmakers and not who the fighters call out.
He was a terrible opponent for the $500k Phil Brooks and a pretty bad one for Sage. If he got a fight with Hardy he's pretty terrible for Hardy too.
Gall is great at calling out fighters he's likely to beat.

Gall has been given the easiest three fight win streak in UFC history.

This is not an exaggeration.you cannot find three worse fighters on the roster

Really? Have you seen the guys throw at Sage Northcutt? Those guys are straight up worse than anything Gall has faced.

Gall is gonna find it difficult going forward, he's still a bit too green, and I'm not sure how many LW fighters I'd pick him to beat, it won't happen but it would be better for him to spend the next 18 months getting 5 fights at a lower level.

How the fuck was CM Punk a hype train?

Were you on this board before the Punk-Gall fight?

Did the UFC pay Punk $500,000 grand for his first UFC fight? Or something like that.

They hyped the hell out of Punk. A lot of people ate it up. I was one of them at the time.

Again, Gall was chosen for that fight because he was young, new to the big stage and the UFC was hoping he'd turtle under the bright lights.

But he didn't. Plan derailed.

Gall is gonna find it difficult going forward, he's still a bit too green, and I'm not sure how many LW fighters I'd pick him to beat, it won't happen but it would be better for him to spend the next 18 months getting 5 fights at a lower level.

I'll say this about Gall:

- He's tough
- He isn't afraid
- He is a pretzel if he gets a hold of you

He has plenty of room to grow. But the kid has "it." And he can fight.

Back